Autopsy The Kumbaya everything is wonderful again Dogs 124. Saints 10 goals less thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d suggest Essendon hunger and straight kicking cost us the game. Don’t forget we had more scoring shots. If we’d kicked like tonight last week we’d have won.
Nevis lack of a plan b is what worries me
We usually win the first quarter with plan a, oppo coaches change stuff up and get on top, no
Plan b. No tagging.
I’ll never forgive the 2021 granny. 103 point turn around! From us 30 something up in the 3rd! Faaaark!
The most we were ahead in the 2021 granny was 19 points, not 30 something - at 12 minutes into the 3rd. Then 16 goals to 1........we hit a solid brick wall basically.6 goals in the second qtr, 2 goals for the other 3......

I liked Richards on the ball. Great defensively at stoppages and showed pace and strength when he got possession.

Garcia too. He had a lot of non CBA stoppages and he gets in there with intent, pacey and runs both ways.

A big improvement over having Sanders in there, he is too green at the moment. Needs to be apprenticed on the wing until he has more steel in him.

Yeah I think Sanders needs a spell. The practice games where he impressed were a long time ago now. Needs to go back and dominate like Garcia has to force his way back into the side.

Check out his latest If/Then, such a muppet. Dale was unbelievable last night, one of the more dominant BOG performances you will ever see, however Barrett the herb though banging on like we made prime Gary Ablett Junior the sub coming off 50 touches and 5 goals. We didn't lose to Essendon because Dale was the sub.
Dale has had a very poor start to the season - probably due to an interrupted pre season - he seems the type that needs to be 100% fit.

He deserved to be dropped, was made the sub instead. His form this week suggests in was the right decision to give him a bit of a reality check.

Back to his best.Hope it continues.He is a long term player - putting him on the bench is not an indication you want to trade him....despite some media types suggesting as much.Garbage....

Clearances or centre clearances?

I could be wrong, as he did have two disposals in the centre square.
A few us in the know, knew Richards was next cab off the rank to go in the middle when Libba wasn't playing. He knew that all preseason.

I thought he was fantastic and I'll tell you why:
A defensive first minded onballer
A bigger body to get around, break away from.
A guy who stays on his feet, does not go to ground.

Richards probably will only play for spurts this year until he learns the caper more and builds up the tank.

But we had a ripper on our cards in my mind, exactly the type of onballer we need.

I would prefer to manage Libba a bit more now. We have been grinding him into the ground for years. Same with Bont. Don't be profligate with the best aged schnapps.
The issue with Libba is that he's actually pretty rubbish if he's played outside the midfield. Sticking him at half forward for large parts of the game won't help us IMO.

We have Bont, Libba, Treloar & Macrae as key cogs with support from smaller guys. The issue with all of them is that their best footy is clearly in the midfield and their effectiveness clearly drops away elsewhere. Bont obviously has the ability to play forward but I really don't like moving the best player in the game away from that part of the ground.

Buku was tempted to seek a trade in the off season and nobody could have blamed him if he did.

His decision to stay and back himself to crack the WB seniors has worked out well for all parties (except the club/s that were sniffing around him).

Thanks for staying loyal Buku.
Still makes some rookie mistakes that will cost you blatant goals but definitely worth persisting with.

It is the best of times and the worst of times ... and then the best again .. and then the worst once more

I love this game
Losing is stressful. Winning is stressful. We are stressed for most of every year! Why do we do this to ourselves?

We need to persist with this. Think he could become a gun mid in 18months time. Has all the attributes.
At a minimum the fact it was a completely different look that would have taken the Saints by surprise makes the experiment a big tick. Ross and co would have thought Macca would have been the starting in the middle at the first bounce. For too long teams know Bont/Libba/Adzy will take 90% of the CBAs, too predictable.

The issue with Libba is that he's actually pretty rubbish if he's played outside the midfield. Sticking him at half forward for large parts of the game won't help us IMO.

We have Bont, Libba, Treloar & Macrae as key cogs with support from smaller guys. The issue with all of them is that their best footy is clearly in the midfield and their effectiveness clearly drops away elsewhere. Bont obviously has the ability to play forward but I really don't like moving the best player in the game away from that part of the ground.
It's not that though is it. It's about how they set up stoppages. Libba more out than in doesn't mean playing him at half forward.

He's a fantastic distributor on the periphery of stoppages but he's almost always on the inside of a stoppage trying to win the ball.

I think there's room for Libba and Bont to be a little more outside (not exclusively but more) with Macrae taking more responsibility for the inside.

The "discovery" of Richards, addition of Garcia and good form of Treloar allows this as a possibility.

A few us in the know, knew Richards was next cab off the rank to go in the middle when Libba wasn't playing. He knew that all preseason.

I thought he was fantastic and I'll tell you why:
A defensive first minded onballer
A bigger body to get around, break away from.
A guy who stays on his feet, does not go to ground.

Richards probably will only play for spurts this year until he learns the caper more and builds up the tank.

But we had a ripper on our cards in my mind, exactly the type of onballer we need.

Sorry LD, but that’s a lot of buzz words without actually meaning anything.

“A defensive first minded onballer“ -

He attended his first ever CB last night. How on earth can we determine this?
One thing we did see is he stood 2m off his opponent at most CB stoppages, and let them walts through to goal side without laying a hand on them.

“A bigger body to get around, break away from” -

I’m not sure the relevance of this being a requirement for Richard’s getting midfield minutes. He’s a medium sized half backer.

“A guy that stays on his feet and does not go to ground” -

Again, what’s the relevance of this? I’d be concerned if this is what the match committees discusses when deciding if Richards gets ongoing midfield minutes.

Not sure about next can off the rank. Macrae loses his spot and Richards still
Misses out to a 1st year Sanders and a 2nd year Gallagher.

I’m guessing most who were keen to see Richard’s in the middle had pretty low expectations, because personally I thought he was pretty underwhelming. 18 disposals, 2 from 22 CB attendances. In a team that won by 10 goals, and a midfield group that had a field day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still makes some rookie mistakes that will cost you blatant goals but definitely worth persisting with.
Yes he does.

We have to remember though, that while he is now 24 and has been around for years, most of his career has been in the VFL. And a good part of that VFL career was as a forward, not an interceptor. He has only played 15 senior games so those rookie mistakes like getting too far under the ball should gradually disappear.

Though not tall (189cm) he has filled an intercepting/defending need on our list this year and in doing so has given us the flexibility to move players like Richards around, or to go into games with Liam Jones as the only tall KPF.

And despite the misgivings of some he does have a bit of a ground game as well as an aerial one. Nothing outstanding but he can hold his own most of the time. I'd like it if he could nail a few more tackles.

Mostly good efforts tonight all round. I liked Lobb's game and agree with some others here that he is unfairly smashed most weeks. His hands were great tonight.

A massive effort after being belted all week. This is my problem with this Bevo team, we respond when the media lays into us or there is some other pressure to perform. The emotion builds up and we hand out a belting. Everyone was flying and it all looks great. Playing on emotion works in bursts (like a finals series) but is an exhausting way to play, both physically and mentally.

When the Hawks and Tigers were the dominant teams, their system won games like these, not emotion. They could sustain it all season and teams like the Saints would be put away with minimal effort and no injuries. Hopefully we can transition to that.

One thing we did see is he stood 2m off his opponent at most CB stoppages, and let them walts through to goal side without laying a hand on them.

I’m not sure the relevance of this being a requirement for Richard’s getting midfield minutes. He’s a medium sized half backer.

Again, what’s the relevance of this? I’d be concerned if this is what the match committees discusses when deciding if Richards gets ongoing midfield minutes.

Misses out Beijing a 1st year Sanders and a 2nd year Gallagher.

I’m guessing most who were keen to see Richard’s in the middle had pretty low expectations, because personally I thought he was pretty underwhelming. 18 disposals, 2 from 22 CB attendances. In a team that won by 10 goals, and a midfield group that had a field day.
Give it a rest. You’ve voiced your opinion now move on

Misses out Beijing a 1st year Sanders and a 2nd year Gallagher.

that is a strange post.

Red, not surprisingly, did look a little out of place early in the game but appeared more comfortable in the role as the game progressed. And his defensive instincts became more evident. He didn't get sucked into the play and would consistently hold a sweeper position at the clearances. Something our mids have struggled with.

Describing him as a bigger body may not be quite right, but what he has is a more powerful core, a lower center of gravity than most AFL players, and an the instinct of a defender to keep his feet - he is hard to move!

What is keeping your feet and being hard to move
Ablett x2 , Matthews and Chappie from Geelong are the best I've seen at this. you can push them, bump them and tackle them and they hold their feet and distribute or break free. Chappie was maybe the very best at how he used his body to protect a ground ball whilst picking it up on the move in congestion- with power. Not saying Richards is of that quality but it is a rare attribute that is innate for him. Only the very best possess it and it's why some of us think Richards could thrive in the midfield.

Now someone like Caleb Daniel has the low center gravity but not the strength and is easily pushed aside. Macrae and Libber are better, but to my eye Richards is another level again. Now, there is more to the role than that - so he may not succeed, but you would be silly not to give him every chance because of the upside. namely, Ed is a better distributor by foot than either Macrae or Liber and more elusive in space. Makes for a compelling proposition.

Last edited:
Don't like to see anyone get hurt but I think Garcia's tackle on Butler was so brutal is caused him to tear his hammy in the 4th.

As always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 101 / 124 (+23)
SK: 68 / 64 (-4)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +33 / +60

Centre Bounce Attendance
26 - English’
25 - Treloar
23 - Bontempelli
22 - Richards
10 - Macrae
6 - Garcia
2 - Lobb
1 - Darcy, Weightman

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
62 - English (25 / 8 / 5)
11 - Darcy (8 / 0 / 5)
5 - Lobb (3 / 0 / 1)

English v Marshall (50 contests)
Hitouts: 15 / 24
To Advantage: 4 / 7
Clearances: 25 / 15
Score: 7.2 / 2.0

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 8
SK: 9

First Possessions
WB: 29

SK: 40

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 32 / 25 (78%)
SK: 30 / 16 (53%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 74%
SK: 62%

Smothers
WB: 11

SK: 5

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 75%
SK: 57%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 82%
SK: 63%

Forward Half Contested Marks
SK: 2

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 7
SK: 2

Defensive Half Intercept Marks
WB: 9
SK: 5

Score Launches
5 - Dale
4 - Macrae
3 - Johannnisen, Treloar
2 - Bramble, English, Khamis, O’Donnell
1 - Bontempelli, Duryea, Garcia, Harmes, Richards

Targets Inside 50

27 - No target/rushed
7 - Naughton
3 - English, Lobb, West
2 - Bontempelli, Darcy, Weightman
1 - Harmes, Williams

Inside 50 Repeat Entries
WB: 14
SK: 10

Shots At Goal
WB: 32 (59%)
SK: 20 (45%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / St. Kilda)
Set Shot: 14.3 / 5.5
Snap: 3.0 / 3.4
On Run: 2.2 / 1.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 3.0
15M-30M: 6.0 / 3.3
31M-40M: 4.2 / 1.3
41M-50M: 6.1 / 1.3
51M+: 2.2 / 1.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 4.1 / 0.2
Scores In Time-On: 8.3 / 4.4
Scores Sourced From Defensive Half: 7.5 / 4.5

Score Assists
3 - West
2 - Garcia, Lobb, Vandermeer
1 - Bontempelli, Dale, Harmes, Johannisen, Macrae, Naughton, Richards

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 25
SK: 13

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 3

SK: 3

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 23
SK: 22

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 39

SK: 48

Unforced Turnovers
SK: 19

Unforced Turnovers By Player
2 - Bramble
1 - Gallagher, L. Jones, O’Donnell, Weightman, West, Williams

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 5

SK: 4

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Williams
1 - Dale, Gallagher, L. Jones

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
175 - Dale
152 - Treloar
125 - Bontempelli
124 - Naughton
123 - Macrae
115 - Johannisen
114 - English
99 - Weightman
88 - L. Jones
84 - West
82 - Garcia
82 - Duryea
80 - Harmes
75 - Richards
64 - Lobb
63 - Bramble
63 - Williams
53 - Khamis
50 - Gallagher
49 - Darcy
42 - O’Donnell
37 - Vandermeer
15 - Sanders

AFL Player Rating Points
26.5 - Dale
24.8 - Naughton
22.9 - Bontempelli
20.6 - Treloar
16.4 - Macrae
14.3 - Weightman
12.6 - Garcia
11.9 - Johannisen
11.1 - Richards
10.2 - West
9.7 - L. Jones
9.4 - Harmes
9.0 - English
7.8 - Darcy
6.3 - Khamis
5.8 - Lobb
4.2 - Gallagher
3.7 - O’Donnell
2.7 - Bramble
1.7 - Williams
1.3 - Sanders
0.1 - Vandermeer

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 64%
SK: 36%

Q2
WB: 47%
SK: 53%

Q3
WB: 56%
SK: 44%

Q4
WB: 52%
SK: 48%

Match
WB: 54%
SK: 46%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 198 (Above Average)
SK: 170 (Below Average)

Q2
WB: 183 (Average)
SK: 163 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 189 (Average)
SK: 148 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 204 (Elite)
SK: 172 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 193 (Above Average)
SK: 164 (Poor)

Pressure Points Per Player
55 - Macrae
49 - Bontempelli
45 - Richards
43 - Harmes
42 - Garcia
42 - Treloar
38 - Johannisen
34 - Weightman
32 - Lobb
31 - Williams
29 - Gallagher
26 - West
26 - Darcy
24 - Bramble
24 - Dale
23 - Duryea
18 - Naughton
15 - Sanders
14 - Vandermeer
12 - Khamis
7 - L. Jones
6 - O’Donnell

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 7.3 / 3.1 (3.0 / 2.0 from the centre)
Scores From Turnovers: 11.6 / 5.9
Scores From Kick-Ins: 1.1 / 1.0
amazing what pressure does, where was that last week
St Kilda coughed the game up with a ridiculous number of turnovers in Q1
Gallagher is a genuine good player, the highlight of the season for me
Jones kicked the ball far too often, heart in mouth every time.
Bramble makes too many mistakes, despite alot of positive play and speed, will be exposed against better sides, and needs to go back to VFL for mine. cant play him with Khamis, just too many errors.
VDM so close to another negative PR game, might have got it if he wasnt subbed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back