Prediction Changes Round 8 Dogs V Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You could make about 8 changes I reckon will not happen.

Definite outs Gallagher, Lobb, Bramble.
Possible outs Harmes, VDM, Macrae, Daniel, Cody inj.

Ins Libba, JUH, Clarke, Sanders

Out: Weightman (inj), Lobb, Gallagher, Daniel
In: Liberatore, Ugle-Hagan, Sanders, Clarke

B: Khamis, Jones, O'Donnell
HB: Dale, Richards, Johannisen

R: English, Bontempelli, Treloar
C: Williams, Liberatore, Harmes

HF: Garcia, Vandermeer, West
F: Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, Naughton

I: Duryea, Macrae, Sanders, Clarke
S: Bramble

Don't love it but think that's probably logical. Libba and Jamarra are obviously straight back in, Richards should return to half back which would force Bramble out of the 22. Weightman is going to need surgery surely on that elbow, can't have it coming out every second week and surely its doing some damage. Clarke should get a debut to replace him. Don't think Sanders should've come out in the first place and can see him replacing Gallagher whose impact has been dwindling the last few weeks, I think he has a future though.

Don't love Harmes at wing/half forward but played well against St Kilda and I doubt he'd be replaced after one down game. I don't like him anywhere other than inside mid and I feel like he is a long way down the pecking order there, but I guess we have very few wing options apart from going back to the Poulter/Scott/Baker types. Rough one for Buku and JOD, I wouldn't be surprised if either missed. They have shown signs but think they are a fair way off nailing down that position. Happy with Garcia to get another couple of games.

Think he'll be fine but West will have to wait on an MRO decision. Not sure who is next in in that case, Artie Jones doesn't sound like he is knocking down the door but may be necessary.

OUT: Bramble (Omitted), Daniel (Omitted), Lobb (Omitted), Weightman (Injured)

IN: Clarke, Liberatore, Sanders, Ugle-Hagen

SUB: Gallagher

Harmes stays purely because he is playing a wing role and there is no one else banging down the door for that role. Harmes is not a long term option though.

In: Libba, JUH, Clarke, Freijah, Sanders
Out: Harmes, Lobb, Weightman, Gallagher, Bramble

Daniel also out as the sub. Bramble to sub.

Outs: Weightman, Lobb, Khamis, Gallagher, Daniel, Harmes (West susp?)

Ins: Libba, JUH, Buss, Clarke, Freijah, Sanders, (depending on West)

Note: Bramble, VDM, JOD, Macrae on notice

I am not understanding the Gallagher love.
I'm with you. How he got a Rising Star nomination baffles me. He may become serviceable but that's the best he will ever be.
He's a very fumbly player who is in the VDM type of player.
I may be proven wrong but we are not going anywhere recruiting players like VDM, Gags, O'Neill they're just list cloggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VDM was pretty good I thought so he's not going out and nor should he.

Gallagher on the other hand did SFA for the 2nd or 3rd week running so he gets a spell in the twos.

Time to have a look at Clarke I guess with Flea gone.

Out: Weightman, Gallagher, Daniel

In: Libba, JUH, Clarke

We have to be a little bit careful about how much we ask Darcy to do at this stage so I'll leave Lobb in there, possibly as sub.

I'm with you. How he got a Rising Star nomination baffles me. He may become serviceable but that's the best he will ever be.
He's a very fumbly player who is in the VDM type of player.
I may be proven wrong but we are not going anywhere recruiting players like VDM, Gags, O'Neill they're just list cloggers.
Very very harsh imo.
Has shown some good signs and think he definitely has a future, we did get him at pick 40 not a top 10 pick.
A lot bigger concern is how cooked Daniel Macrae are. Both slow and yet again when it got tough they absolutely shat the bed. Much rather younger guys with a bit speed and potentially a role in the future getting games than both of them, can throw Duryea into that category as well.

I’m not saying Gallagher shouldn’t get dropped, was poor last night but the people writing him off and calling him a list clogger is absolutely astounding

Gallagher has been poor 2 games in a row, needs a rest in vfl to recapture form.

As much as Richards looks ok in middle his best position to make impact for us is half back, move him back there and drop one of Duryea or Bramble

Play Macrae in middle or not at all

Daniel doesn’t have an effective position, gets exposed due to lack of pace and height

Out Daniel, Gallagher, Duryea, Lobb, Weightman (inj)

In Libba, JUH, Clarke, Sanders, Poulter

Hawthorn are a different midfield. Serong cut us up again but Fyfe was a surprise but smart use of him to bring the faster players into the game.

Hawthorn are a bigger stronger midfield who absolutely smashed us last time. We got Harnes partially to address this type of midfield (with Melb the best).

Seems like we just back Bont and Trelor to lift rather than change it up. I am a big fan of Macrae but he ain’t quick and can be exposed but like Freo - if you play Macrae and someone quick like Garcia together this can be covered. Ie CBA of Macrae, Trelor and Garcia and move Bont to CHF if he is off.

We complain about our bottom players but don’t play players like Macrae where they need to be and don’t play Keath - who is solid.

Seems like Bevo has a licence to develop young players in favour of best player for role now - JOD and Richards are part of our future as is Gallagher.

If this is the pathway then we will get sub par performances while they develop. Khamis has a bad game after some great ones so have to accept that will happen - as did Gags and Sanders a few weeks ago.

So selection looks very different if you want to win or develop.

If we want to win:

In: Libba, JUH, Sanders, Keath and Clarke - Macrae to many more centre bounces.

Out: Weightman (injured), JOD played Ok but Keath just ahead of him and needs to get games in case Jones goes down), Bramble (Richards back), Daniel (I can’t understand why he has dropped off), Lobb (obvious)

If we want to develop:

In: Libba, JUH, Sanders, Buss, Clarke, Freijah (is kicking the door down and looks a star)

Outs: same plus Harmes.

Can't see us debuting three players. That's almost conceding the 4 points before the first bounce.
Freo debuted two yesterday but one of them was the sub.

If West is rubbed out then Clarke gets first chance.

In the coming weeks I'd like to see Buss, then Freijah debut. For both it will depend on the opportunity(eg injury, fatigue) not just a play-the-kids mantra.

There comes a time in most dogs season when you realise we are well off the mark. A sample size of 7 games in enough.I lived in hope we could be a 5 to 8 team and win a final that is gone so the anger at how average we are is gone. It becomes the norm and you just expect it. We may beat the hawks and tigers but knowing us we probably drop one. If we win both it will just be fool's gold until we play the better teams and get smashed.

Yeah sure we had Libba and JUH out but we have had good run with injuries. As much as I think this is Bevo's last season I do blame him trying things with our midfield so often smashed these days although the source of the problem maybe Tim's ineptness as ruckman. Macrae and Daniel are now role players at best and will be in and out of the side.

Our backline as a defensive unit is except for Jones is poor. JOD will in time be a player. Buku has some good attributes but his background of not growing up with the games sees him lost so often. Dale is a good attacking player in form but not good at defence. JJ and Duryea are passed it and Bramble is not up to it.

So, this is my take where we are at this season a 9 to 12 team without getting emotional about just stating the facts.

This one hurts me to put it forward, have we seen the absolute very best of Bont and shouldering the load has taken its toll or is he just having a quiet period, carrying an injury or is he just a better player with Libba in the team and does less grunt work.

Last edited:
I’m not saying Gallagher shouldn’t get dropped, was poor last night but the people writing him off and calling him a list clogger is absolutely astounding
We’re also playing him out of position, dude got drafted because he dominated as a half back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back