Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Khamis’ best footy at AFL level was always as a defender. His game against the Saints in 2022 was very good and similar to how he’s playing now. He hasn’t suddenly made a huge leap, he’s improved a bit, he’s just now been given continuity in defence and he’s thriving.
Khamis played well enough when given opportunity prior to this year, but the issue was his tank.

Tall backs need to play high tog% and he just couldn't.

I think he's been properly managed, but essentially the credit goes to him for getting to this point because he's put in the hard work.

I think JOD will be another example of this. He tends to be a whipping boy for some clueless fans but they don’t see the elite attributes he has to be a premier defender. He’s extremely athletic, strong in the contest and ground level, can take a mark, covers the ground well. We need to keep pumping games into him before Jones retires.

The biggest upside I see from JOD is his kicking. For a tall he seems to have good control and accuracy. His decision making is a bit off but that’ll come with time hopefully.

If we can find a no.1 KPD to slot into Jones’s role when he retires, then that group of Jones/replacement, JOD and Khamis is promising -even if Busslinger goes.

We should be fine for half backs, and should also be ok for tall forwards/rucks, so the list build can focus on wing and small forward as a priority - as well as midfield youth/depth given Libba and Treloar might not have long left.

Depending how Eagles season go

Feel like we could package Buss and a pick for Barrass
No way should we be doing this and no way Barrass will consider it. He’s well entrenched at the Eagles and has stated this numerous times which is why he knocked back a 5 year deal with the Swans last offseason.

His back is ****ed and it’s again well reported his desire to play atm stems purely from supporting his young family financially.

Buss and a first rounder is what it would take to even have the Eagles look at it which is overpaying for a 30 year old injured FB with concerns on longevity.

Depending how Eagles season go

Feel like we could package Buss and a pick for Barrass
Please no. Barrass will be cooked in a year or two if not already. Weren't there reports of chronic back problems? [EDIT: just saw posts from Munnez and Dale4C which say the same thing]

This sort of trading has contributed to the current list/age imbalance we now have. If Buss does go (yet to be confirmed of course) we need to reinvest in developing our own - ideally it would be a player we would have for 10-12 years, not just a season or two.

Please no. Barrass will be cooked in a year or two if not already. Weren't there reports of chronic back problems? [EDIT: just saw posts from Munnez and Dale4C which say the same thing]

This sort of trading has contributed to the current list/age imbalance we now have. If Buss does go (yet to be confirmed of course) we need to reinvest in developing our own - ideally it would be a player we would have for 10-12 years, not just a season or two.
I'd like to know the good players we passed on in that draft so that my outrage can build over the season.

I'd like to know the good players we passed on in that draft so that my outrage can build over the season.
Here you go. All the picks before our next pick (Charlie Clarke). Rage away.

14​
Elijah HewettWest Coast
15​
Matthew JeffersonMelbourne
16​
Harry RowstonGreater Western Sydney
17​
Max MichalanneyAdelaide
18​
Josh WeddleHawthorn
19​
Ed AllanCollingwood
20​
Jacob KonstantySydney
21​
Darcy JonesGreater Western Sydney
22​
Max GruzewskiGreater Western Sydney
23​
Harry BarnettWest Coast

14​
Elijah HewettWest Coast
15​
16​
17​
Max MichalanneyAdelaide
18​
Josh WeddleHawthorn
19​
Ed AllanCollingwood
20​
Jacob KonstantySydney
21​
22​
23​
Harry BarnettWest Coast

Weddle would be the best followed by Michalanney.

Disappointing to lose Buss if true but I also don’t necessarily blame him if he goes back home. If I moved interstate for work and was then offered a pay raise to return home, I’d 100% take it when I was 20.

Annoying for us but if we can get a second round pick back, I’d take it. Move on and get someone in that wants to be here. Admittedly I haven’t been overly impressed by Buss yet but how he will develop is still an unknown. I don’t think he’s someone we should be desperate to hold on to

14​
Elijah HewettWest Coast
15​
16​
17​
Max MichalanneyAdelaide
18​
Josh WeddleHawthorn
19​
Ed AllanCollingwood
20​
Jacob KonstantySydney
21​
22​
23​
Harry BarnettWest Coast
Weddle :(

14​
Elijah HewettWest Coast
15​
16​
17​
Max MichalanneyAdelaide
18​
Josh WeddleHawthorn
19​
Ed AllanCollingwood
20​
Jacob KonstantySydney
21​
22​
23​
Harry BarnettWest Coast
Very weak draft so far. I really like Michalanney but is father-son anyway. Weddle is the only other one who has shown anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very weak draft so far. I really like Michalanney but is father-son anyway. Weddle is the only other one who has shown anything
This isn't doing much to fuel my outrage. Perhaps there was a player we could have traded the pick for but didn't that might suitably anger me.

If Buss goes then dogs need to find another KPD in the draft. Thankfully the finding of JOD and Khamis coming on means that there's no need to worry about Buss's departure as much. Luckily there seems to be a few out of contract at the end of the year or next year that dogs might go for if needed. Likely Keath will retire. Gards not sure what will come of him but I hear he's making a name for himself as a ruck by the vfl development reports. Probably look for a depth kpd or go for DBG and hope he improves.

If Buss goes then dogs need to find another KPD in the draft. Thankfully the finding of JOD and Khamis coming on means that there's no need to worry about Buss's departure as much. Luckily there seems to be a few out of contract at the end of the year or next year that dogs might go for if needed. Likely Keath will retire. Gards not sure what will come of him but I hear he's making a name for himself as a ruck by the vfl development reports. Probably look for a depth kpd or go for DBG and hope he improves.
Who knew ....

1714011473718.png

I hear he's really aggressive in the ruck. The way he loves to spoil the ball in the backline it's no wonder he'd transition to ruck well. Maybe if Lobb is willing to leave Gards can be the new ruck depth if either English or Darcy go down next season. Will better to trade Lobb out than keep him.

I hear he's really aggressive in the ruck. The way he loves to spoil the ball in the backline it's no wonder he'd transition to ruck well. Maybe if Lobb is willing to leave Gards can be the new ruck depth if either English or Darcy go down next season. Will better to trade Lobb out than keep him.
I (half) tongue in cheek suggested that Gards could be a defensive ruck in the tactics thread a couple of weeks ago. I just didn't realise it was a thing ... officially it appears.

When we drafted him his first few games were as a forward/ruck. Definitely didn't set the world on fire.

Eagles best offer for Buss will be dependent on how well Bailey Banfield goes for them. He's been pretty good as far as reports go. Might end up a late first prospect. I don't expect eagles to be bottom 4 at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back