Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

My name is Norm and I like new threads, but I like stupid thread titles and polls more, so look out!

Continued from Part 1:

Strategy - Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Pertinent details re list management changes.

2019 Edition.

Friday 4 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences.

Monday 7 October 9am - NAB AFL Trade Period Commences.

Thursday 10 October 5pm - Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

Sunday 13 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer Three-Day Period Ends.

Wednesday 16 October 7.30pm (tbc) - NAB AFL Trade Period Closes (for exchange of players).

Thursday 17 October - AFL Trade Period Opens (selections only).

Friday 18 October 5pm - Application to Relist a Player Close

Thursday 31 October 2pm - List Lodgement (1)

Friday 1 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences

Monday 11 November- AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes

Tuesday 12 November 2pm - List Lodgement (2)

Wednesday 13 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences

Friday 22 November 2pm - NAB AFL Trade Period Closes (for exchange of selections only)

Friday 22 November 5pm - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes

Wednesday 27 November 7pm - 9.30pm - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting (Round One), Marvel Stadium.

Thursday 28 November 7pm - 9.30pm - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting (Round Two onwards to conclusion).

Thursday 28 November (post draft) - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3)

Thursday November 28 post draft OR Friday 29 November from 9am - NAB AFL Rookie Draft

Monday 2 December 2pm - Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Lohmann - Big yes, would slot straight into a HFF
Robertson - Yes, seems like he’s just waiting for a club to come along and offer him a starting midfield rotation. That club isn’t us.
Flanders - As above. Why would he consider us when we’re already playing midfielders out of position? I get that Libba, Treloar & Macrae are ageing but I’m talking in the immediate future.
Hollands - No. He’s lost a lot of athleticism and seems to struggle to keep up.

Robertson - Yes, seems like he’s just waiting for a club to come along and offer him a starting midfield rotation. That club isn’t us.
Flanders - As above. Why would he consider us when we’re already playing midfielders out of position? I get that Libba, Treloar & Macrae are ageing but I’m talking in the immediate future.

Macrae is currently too slow to be considered a modern midfielder, there is his spot there for Flanders.

We also need to have someone who can impact from the bench, which could be Flanders or Robertson…. Both of which will get good game time with us.

I would hope we bring in some other good young midfielders. Even Hollands for a token late pick, if we think he can regain his athleticism.

We need to start bringing through the next wave of midfield talent. Hollands has potential upside well worth a try if the price is right. Hopefully cut a deal with the Suns for Pick 4 and Hollands.
Grab the best midfielder left. Match bid for Croft then take a couple of speculative picks at the tail end of the draft

I would absolutely take Hollands for the right price. Still very young with a ton of upside, might just need a change of scenery to get the best out of himself wouldn’t be the first.

I imagine it would take an early/mid 20’s pick given where he was drafted, but then again it’s the Suns so who knows

What do you see with Lohman ?

5 games this year, subbed in 3 of them ? Is he that good ?

Anyone who can’t get a game at the suns makes me a little nervous. Can someone provide me some insight into hollands?

Robertson, also, a WA boy, I reckon the eagles will come super hard next year.

What do you see with Lohman ?

5 games this year, subbed in 3 of them ? Is he that good ?
It’s only his second year and he’s kicked 26 goals in 12 games in the VFL and is a quick, skilful half forward that would add another dynamic to our forward half.

He plays for a team that’s second on the ladder and is stacked for a similar types in Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy & Rayner. He’d be playing at most other clubs around the league so his form or lack of games at AFL level isn’t a concern to me.

It’s only his second year and he’s kicked 26 goals in 12 games in the VFL and is a quick, skilful half forward that would add another dynamic to our forward half.

He plays for a team that’s second on the ladder and is stacked for a similar types in Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy & Rayner. He’d be playing at most other clubs around the league so his form or lack of games at AFL level isn’t a concern to me.

He’s got the makings of a pretty complete package for a half forward. Quick, a goal kicker, good overhead and at ground level and brings defensive grunt. Had 26 pressure acts on debut last year. Only Lachie Neal had more for the Lions that day. He’d walk straight into our forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Lohman is very good. Reminds me a lot of Hannan.

Lohman is also a very poor field kick. Field kicking in a half forward role is critical.

Not sure Lohman is very good. Reminds me a lot of Hannan.

Lohman is also a very poor field kick. Field kicking in a half forward role is critical.
Agreed he doesn’t really strike me as a need for mine, I think in the forward line there’s only so many goals to go around and we genuinely have the firepower locked down in Marra, Naughty, Lobb/Darcy & Cody who are all big goalscorers

You really have to pad the rest out with support types - ie elite defensive pressure and assist types. I think AJ and Clarke are perfect for these roles - they just need time.

So I wouldn’t really be spending big on forwards right now to be honest, the support players need to be cheapish to allow us to spread our resources across the ground a little more.

Agreed he doesn’t really strike me as a need for mine, I think in the forward line there’s only so many goals to go around and we genuinely have the firepower locked down in Marra, Naughty, Lobb/Darcy & Cody who are all big goalscorers

You really have to pad the rest out with support types - ie elite defensive pressure and assist types. I think AJ and Clarke are perfect for these roles - they just need time.

So I wouldn’t really be spending big on forwards right now to be honest, the support players need to be cheapish to allow us to spread our resources across the ground a little more.
Agree with this to a point. We really need a high Quality Half Forward distributing inside 50 (Watson/Duursma).
Either need skill, Mid/Fwd Ability or a Genuine Pressure forward.
Lohmann outside of his first game doesn't add much defensively and isn't good enough with ball in hand. He is good popping up for a freak goal but we have enough of that type as you say.

Agree with this to a point. We really need a high Quality Half Forward distributing inside 50 (Watson/Duursma).
Lohmann outside of his first game doesn't add much defensively and isn't good enough with ball in hand. He is good popping up for a freak goal but we have enough of that type as you say.
Yep spot on - a really high quality half forward distributor type is crucial (I put it as Assist type but your definition is better suited) and we’re still lacking a genuine mid/fwd rotation. Ie a genuine forward who can rotate for bursts in the centre square.

I really like West for that last spot in the forward line because he almost covers all bases, just not to a super high standard which is fine. He can crumb & snap a little bit, lay strong tackles and provide pressure (whilst being a bit slow in open play), actually a reasonably high impact distributor too (racks up goal assists with creative passes by hand or foot) and should be able to take a centre square rotation or two (but we don’t play him that way for some reason)

I think that’s the perfect support type 6th/7th forward, does everything reasonably well.

So TL/DR I think our targets need to be getting up in the draft to pick up one of those two you mentioned as a skilful half forward distributor. By trade from what’s available I’d look at Hollands/Flanders for that genuine mid/fwd option and for the crumber/pressure players I’m happy to sit and wait on what we’ve got in Clarke & AJ.

I wouldn’t waste resources on trade targets like Lohman, Ginnivan etc who don’t really fill those needs

Sam McClure said on 3AW last night that he doesn't believe that Bailey Smith will be at the dogs next year 👀

Last edited:

Nah, he’s actually been great defensively when you adjust for time on ground.

Sweet will be elsewhere next year, yeah? What could we get for him?
Essentially nothing as we will have to replace him with an established backup ruckman so whatever we get in a trade would go on getting that backup, just a ruck merry go round.

Blues are sniffing around

Likely just a third round pick

Surprised about that. Just re-signed Pittonet for four years and De Koning for an extra two.

Don’t rate Big Pitt and wouldn’t be overly surprised if Sweet were to leapfrog him but I’d hope if Sweet leaves he gives himself a better chance of being the first choice ruckman.

Surprised about that. Just re-signed Pittonet for four years and De Koning for an extra two.

Don’t rate Big Pitt and wouldn’t be overly surprised if Sweet were to leapfrog him but I’d hope if Sweet leaves he gives himself a better chance of being the first choice ruckman.
I agree with you but history shows some ruckmen make mind boggling stupid decisions when changing clubs. Grundy to Melbourne and Preuss to wherever he went in his first move stand out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back