Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Free Kick Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

What impressed me the most about Waterman were those plays where he came up to the wing and took a relieving mark. His best play being the 2x passes by foot with the help of Tom Cole's run from behind to give a good goal assist to Cripps.

Ryan looks slow, lost that acceleration but hopefully it comes back as he gets more confidence. I hope he's not too worried about his hamstrings and reluctant to get into 5th gear because both on offence and defence that's a huge part of his game.

Yeo good but once he tired we didn't have much else.

Chesser disappointing, needs training with Gaff or Sheed to learn how to find the ball.

Williams got schooled.

Kelly was messy.

Thought Duggan was really good, kicking it long and flat, played to the conditions later on as well.

Petruccelle showed a lot in the first half, tapered off a bit but so did the whole team.

Don't see the point in Sheed as a sub, he's not that dynamic a player. Better suited to a full game (at WAFL if there was no bye) and having Johnston as the sub.

Ginbey as well, needs improving, shows more than Chesser but not enough.

Overall a good effort made to look better by the forwards kicking straight.

No Harley, no West Coast :p

First game this year I wasn't able to watch, probably won't bother with the replay. We all knew what this year was going to be like, being competitive for a half (especially away from home, longest road trip blah blah blah vs a team of first rounders) is a massive step up from the last few seasons.

Good battle and effort, exactly what I want to see this year.

Negative was too many not giving enough:
Ryan 5 touches
Ledwards 9 touches
Chess 6 touches
BWilliams 5 touches & smashed in the ruck
Brockman 4 touches & a bad miss

Wasn't thrilled with sheed either - disposal was poor or put players under pressure and that helicopter kick had me pulling my hair out. We need him to be better.

18 point margin with four minutes to play. Suns got a wriggle on late, which is disappointing from a scoreboard perspective, but we've learned what we need to from that one.

Pleased with that, albeit very frustrating at times.
yeah that's the annoying bit

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chesser back to the wafl.

Sheed offers us nothing. You expect the sub to come on and with fresh legs put in. Watch the first centre bounce he uncontested.....

Edwards meh.

Got to give Burgeil Rawlinson and Johnston a crack at it.

Cole and his refusal to bend over to pick the ball up off the ground and instead soccer it has to stop

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missed the same until late in the third (soz) as I had the young blokes first week of AusKick. Commentators sounded very doom and gloom. Surprised to see the 4th quarter fight with that taken into consideration. Looked a little untidy in those loose ball 50-50s which may have come down to conditions.

Not one we would have chalked up as a W before the season kicked off. With the knowledge of TB and HR being out of the side I reckon most would have taken a 6 goal loss.

Pleasing we won a quarter and drew equal on goals in the last. That third quarter looks to be where it got away from us.

Defence was excellent and stopped it being a 10 goal loss.

Waterman was good, Yeo is having a great year. Harry Edwards really impressed given how long he's been out.

Our transition and forward pressure were garbage. Liam Ryan needs to be dropped to WAFL and can come back when he's fit. Dipped his head a few times which is unacceptable for a senior player.

3rd quarter was really poor but 4th quarter fightback was good.

Overall, last few weeks show we can play at the level of a mid table team -just need to keep on with it.

Positives:
  • Reid, Barrass and Long back next week
Potentiall unpopular question - do we persist with HEdwards ahead of Barrass for another week? He wasn't horrible and Barrass, whilst not horrible himself this season, is on borrowed time.

Reid and Long straight back in for Sheed and Ryan.

Before anyone retires bbbw let's just remember he's our 2nd Ruck that's been a one man band whilst nicnat spent most of last year in the Macca's drive through and Flynn got injured a day before our first pre season game

Positives
Yeo gov Waterman duggan
Not getting blown away
Hedwards hung in there

Negatives
Sheed ledwards selections
Umpires
The afl tribunal

Good battle and effort, exactly what I want to see this year.

Negative was too many not giving enough:
Ryan 5 touches
Ledwards 9 touches
Chess 6 touches
BWilliams 5 touches & smashed in the ruck
Brockman 4 touches & a bad miss

Wasn't thrilled with sheed either - disposal was poor or put players under pressure and that helicopter kick had me pulling my hair out. We need him to be better.

This is infuriating.

Some leniency for Ryan, first game back in like 12 months, and he's not a midfielder, but * me we like drafting mids that can't get their hands on the ball.

Potentiall unpopular question - do we persist with HEdwards ahead of Barrass for another week? He wasn't horrible and Barrass, whilst not horrible himself this season, is on borrowed time.

Reid and Long straight back in for Sheed and Ryan.
The first few weeks of the year I'd say yes, but Barrass has been getting better for the last couple of games and was really good for us last week. Almost back to his best, IMO.

Respectable. Completely outplayed. Last year would have been 100+

Need more top tier talent.
Yes. That is good to remember. As much as I am disappointed the the score blew out, we are a 40/50-point better side than last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back