Preview Round 6 Changes v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I've made this thread before the GWS game has even started so some preemptive changes suggested below:
Brown in for McDonald, can't go past Weid's bag of 7!
Oskar Baker in for [Name] who picked up [innocuous injury that'll have them out for a week].

Weideman and McDonald were equally average. Didn't do much until the game was pretty much secured. Hard to pick who to drop. McDonald stays on longevity, Weideman stays on potential...

Hunt lifted after an average first start so he gets a reprieve.

Nfi.

In: B. Brown + whoever stands up today in the VFL (sub)

Out: Either T. McDonald or Weideman (I think it's Weid just) + Bedford (omitted, it's time to rotate the sub)

In: Brown
Out: Weid

I trust Mcdonald more and I haven't forgotten just how poor Weideman was 2 weeks ago. Admittedly, Mcdonald hasn't been setting the place on fire either.

Flip a coin for who goes out for Brown. I actually think Weid was decent against GWS, got to a lot more contests than he has in previous weeks.
I thought he played pretty well. Certainly got to the right spots

The obvious is Brown in. I would give Weide another game, after this effort. Hitting a lot of aerial contests, and we fed well off that.

So I would rest TMc. He's not getting any younger in the legs and back, so a spell now and then, won't hurt him for the back-end of this season.

Weide needs opportunities, to get the flow and feel of this Melbourne team. So imo, now is that time to give him.
We are 5 & 0... so no better opportunity to try to help him run into some form.

We may well need him down the track, and in good fettle. So now is the best time to get him playng AFL intensity footy.

I thought weid played alright. Given he’s younger than Tmac, and I don’t think having one or the other out there is likely to be the difference between winning and losing, might as well give him a run of games to see if he’s worth keeping around.

Ah, that wonderful week each year where I can literally feel myself becoming less intelligent because I venture over to the Richmond board. That place is an absolute cesspit.

"Shemons suck, PAtracca is fat and will never be as good as DUSTY!??@@!! AFL changed the rules so we wouldn't be good anymore, **** you Steven Hocking!!! but we're still going to win the next six flags because we have BIG BAD BALTA"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weid out? Get ****ed.
Even if Weid hasn't been as good as Tom, he's shown improvement at least. He's trying.

We carried Tom to a flag last year when he was dead ****ing average and he's been a campaigner all year.
Maybe dropping him is the rocket he needs to eat a ****ing brocolli and stop being a campaigner.

God I'm looking forward to having Salem back. A back seven of Salem, May, Lever, Bowey, Rivers, Brayshaw and Petty, with Tomlinson, Smith, Hibberd and Hunt as depth is ludicrous.

As good a place as any to put this as it may inform potential changes. Watched the VFL Casey game and this is to indicate what positions they played with a little commentary on their performance.

A quick illustration of how hard they stick with players in their AFL likely positions rather than have them rack up stats elsewhere, at one stage Dunstan was the only Melbourne listed player in the centre 6 with the ruck, wings and two other onballers all Casey players.

Bedford - playing half forward to deep forward and impressed with his agility, speed and creativity. It genuinely looks like the vision is going in 1.5x speed when he’s running flat out. Also spent some brief stints on ball. I wonder if he could be trained up as a small defender as he’s already about as good as he can be as a small forward/midfielder at VFL level. I’d be very surprised if other AFL clubs aren’t sniffing around as I think he could have a best 22 spot at several teams.

Laurie - playing on ball and swapping with Melksham to half forward. He looks more assured to my eye than what I saw in 2021 with quick hands and more confidence in what he does. Reminds me of Spargo in how he plays, not fast but has moves to compensate and good vision. Faded as the game went on after a prolific start.

Rosman - half back and had some pretty poor kicks coming into the forward line but he was providing some run and link up options. Took some kick ins and got good penetration into the wind. Not really involved in the second half.

Melksham - on ball and swapping to also play as a forward and seemed to find himself alone lots. Very classy at this level when he got it.

Tomlinson - played as a defender but pushed up much higher and was consequently much more attacking than his AFL role, probably closest to the May role. Gave a few sloppy frees but they didn’t hurt. Got lots of the ball partly because he took most kick ins. Used his left foot quite a bit too. He was pretty good, looked tall and quite fast, which probably says more about the smaller players with less speed at VFL level than it does about Tomlinson.

vanRooyan - played lots of first ruck once Daw was gone. Very lively and athletic, did quite well despite being outsized by his ruck opponent. Quick hands, obviously smaller than Jackson but similar in style as a ruck in that he neutralised contests and was good at ground level after that. Playing as a forward when not rucking and presented well.

Dunstan - playing on ball, still a bit “meh” for mine, I like his hands better than his feet. I’m sure he could do a job at AFL level in case of injury but he’s not pushing anyone out based on what I’ve seen.

Daw - played deep forward and got his two goals from pretty technical/soft frees rather than doing anything of note himself. Looked really slow and laboured in how he moved. Came off and didn’t look obviously injured but never came back on.

Baker - looked to be wing or maybe half back, but he was pushing up higher than I’d expect a half back to push up. Got a bit of the ball, was OK but I think others have gone past him now.

D.Smith - backline, didn’t get super involved but he was focussed defensively. Had a nice moment when he outmarked a taller opponent which set up an end-to-end goal. Later on got outmarked himself for a Coburg goal.

Chandler - half forward/deep forward. Tries to do lots with it and sometimes he looks a million dollars, and other times he stuffs it up. He will have even less time at AFL level to try those tricks. Looked to be up the ground a bit more in the second half and judged the ball in the air better than everyone else a few times. He had some great at speed pick ups of the ball from the ground. I also wouldn’t be surprised if other AFL clubs are sniffing around as I don’t see how he breaks into Melbourne’s team and he’s a class above VFL level.

M. Brown - deep forward and providing a target leading up the wings, did his part in difficult conditions for a tall forward. Could’ve had 4 or 5 but ended up with 2.

Woewodin - wing and pushed into the backline, looked solid albeit a bit sloppy with his disposal at times. Got caught holding the ball once in the backline and another time on the wing, but also won a holding the ball up on the wing later.

McVee - half back. Looked neat again but nothing startling either great or bad.

Moniz-Wakefield - played forward, didn’t get too involved but applied some forward pressure.

J. Smith - deep in defence, was OK but a few errors ball in hand too. Attacked the ball in the air, confident hands. Pretty much exactly what you get at AFL level from Joel.

As good a place as any to put this as it may inform potential changes. Watched the VFL Casey game and this is to indicate what positions they played with a little commentary on their performance.

A quick illustration of how hard they stick with players in their AFL likely positions rather than have them rack up stats elsewhere, at one stage Dunstan was the only Melbourne listed player in the centre 6 with the ruck, wings and two other onballers all Casey players.

Bedford - playing half forward to deep forward and impressed with his agility, speed and creativity. It genuinely looks like the vision is going in 1.5x speed when he’s running flat out. Also spent some brief stints on ball. I wonder if he could be trained up as a small defender as he’s already about as good as he can be as a small forward/midfielder at VFL level. I’d be very surprised if other AFL clubs aren’t sniffing around as I think he could have a best 22 spot at several teams.

Laurie - playing on ball and swapping with Melksham to half forward. He looks more assured to my eye than what I saw in 2021 with quick hands and more confidence in what he does. Reminds me of Spargo in how he plays, not fast but has moves to compensate and good vision. Faded as the game went on after a prolific start.

Rosman - half back and had some pretty poor kicks coming into the forward line but he was providing some run and link up options. Took some kick ins and got good penetration into the wind. Not really involved in the second half.

Melksham - on ball and swapping to also play as a forward and seemed to find himself alone lots. Very classy at this level when he got it.

Tomlinson - played as a defender but pushed up much higher and was consequently much more attacking than his AFL role, probably closest to the May role. Gave a few sloppy frees but they didn’t hurt. Got lots of the ball partly because he took most kick ins. Used his left foot quite a bit too. He was pretty good, looked tall and quite fast, which probably says more about the smaller players with less speed at VFL level than it does about Tomlinson.

vanRooyan - played lots of first ruck once Daw was gone. Very lively and athletic, did quite well despite being outsized by his ruck opponent. Quick hands, obviously smaller than Jackson but similar in style as a ruck in that he neutralised contests and was good at ground level after that. Playing as a forward when not rucking and presented well.

Dunstan - playing on ball, still a bit “meh” for mine, I like his hands better than his feet. I’m sure he could do a job at AFL level in case of injury but he’s not pushing anyone out based on what I’ve seen.

Daw - played deep forward and got his two goals from pretty technical/soft frees rather than doing anything of note himself. Looked really slow and laboured in how he moved. Came off and didn’t look obviously injured but never came back on.

Baker - looked to be wing or maybe half back, but he was pushing up higher than I’d expect a half back to push up. Got a bit of the ball, was OK but I think others have gone past him now.

D.Smith - backline, didn’t get super involved but he was focussed defensively. Had a nice moment when he outmarked a taller opponent which set up an end-to-end goal. Later on got outmarked himself for a Coburg goal.

Chandler - half forward/deep forward. Tries to do lots with it and sometimes he looks a million dollars, and other times he stuffs it up. He will have even less time at AFL level to try those tricks. Looked to be up the ground a bit more in the second half and judged the ball in the air better than everyone else a few times. He had some great at speed pick ups of the ball from the ground. I also wouldn’t be surprised if other AFL clubs are sniffing around as I don’t see how he breaks into Melbourne’s team and he’s a class above VFL level.

M. Brown - deep forward and providing a target leading up the wings, did his part in difficult conditions for a tall forward. Could’ve had 4 or 5 but ended up with 2.

Woewodin - wing and pushed into the backline, looked solid albeit a bit sloppy with his disposal at times. Got caught holding the ball once in the backline and another time on the wing, but also won a holding the ball up on the wing later.

McVee - half back. Looked neat again but nothing startling either great or bad.

Moniz-Wakefield - played forward, didn’t get too involved but applied some forward pressure.

J. Smith - deep in defence, was OK but a few errors ball in hand too. Attacked the ball in the air, confident hands. Pretty much exactly what you get at AFL level from Joel.
Thanks for the summary.

For mine, the little bits I saw of PS match sim and Casey footage shows McVee to be a really nice, solid no frills HB flanker. I am hopeful we've found one there.

No way Weid should be dropped. Brought the ball to ground in the contest and actually clunked a couple of nice marks further up the ground.

I reckon the answer is Brown in and Tmac as the sub. Can cover an injury at either end or even pinch hit in the ruck if necessary.

Ah, that wonderful week each year where I can literally feel myself becoming less intelligent because I venture over to the Richmond board. That place is an absolute cesspit.

"Shemons suck, PAtracca is fat and will never be as good as DUSTY!??@@!! AFL changed the rules so we wouldn't be good anymore, fu** you Steven Hocking!!! but we're still going to win the next six flags because we have BIG BAD BALTA"
WTF are you talking about? Consensus on our board is that you'll beat us by 6+ goals.

Regarding Hocking - yeah definitely some tin foil hat stuff going on, but also some good examples that he changed rules to spite Richmond (eg. didn't like how Cotchin/Richmond manned the mark so brought in the ****ing Stand rule). Main point of issue with him is that during his time as the rules flog, he had a massive conflict of interest as he'd already agreed to a position with Geelong while still actively impacting the overall rules/game...

WTF are you talking about? Consensus on our board is that you'll beat us by 6+ goals.

Regarding Hocking - yeah definitely some tin foil hat stuff going on, but also some good examples that he changed rules to spite Richmond (eg. didn't like how Cotchin/Richmond manned the mark so brought in the ******* Stand rule). Main point of issue with him is that during his time as the rules flog, he had a massive conflict of interest as he'd already agreed to a position with Geelong while still actively impacting the overall rules/game...
Got to admit, you guys have stabilised over the past few days. The first few after a loss are pretty wild though on the umpire corruption topic though.

Periodic rule changes, significant ones that is, are a feature of the AFL competition - and by definition a significant change will most affect the team that is dominant at the time given that they are the ones making best use of exploiting existing rules. So its less likely an anti-Richmond thing then one of those general ongoing things that the AFL seem to feel the need to do in the interests of 'equalisation' which they seem to see as bringing some spice to the competition (whether this works or not, or improves their bottom line is something I don't know).

I would think that Richmond are simply in that position, as other teams have been before. If Melbourne were to become equally dominant then ultimately any significant adjustment to the rules would similarly impact us.

The only other explanation, which seems less likely, would be that AFL hate your coach or administration - or hate Richmond more broadly for mysterious reasons. I wouldn't have thought Hardwick would have drawn too much ire. The only real scandal I can recall with him was running off with a physio or whatever and leaving his wife during the hubs - but the AFL itself seems to have a pretty casual regard for fidelity so I doubt its that. I guess Hardwick has had his share of bitching after a loss about rules, decisions, umpiring but not more than any other coach, and nowhere near the level that say a Brad Scott achieved as a coach, and he has been amply rewarded. If any coach is genuinely pissing off the AFL my guess would be that its Bevo, even before his latest outburst he has a bit of a reputation for excluding various accredited journalists from club insights when he gets the shits with one or the other, and he tends to promote controversial issues that I'm sure the AFL would like to avoid focus on such as bullying, pressure on players etc.

And in general, I would have thought that the resurgence of the Tigers was good for the competition and the AFL, looking at the growth of your already large supporter base and the number of people purchasing memberships who weren't previously. Richmond are good business and I'm not sure why they would be the target of AFL ire.

The AFL changing the rules to stop Richmond's dominance is my favourite AFL conspiracy theory. Because stiffling the success of one of the biggest clubs in the competition would be an exceptional business decision.

Got to admit, you guys have stabilised over the past few days. The first few after a loss are pretty wild though on the umpire corruption topic though.

Periodic rule changes, significant ones that is, are a feature of the AFL competition - and by definition a significant change will most affect the team that is dominant at the time given that they are the ones making best use of exploiting existing rules. So its less likely an anti-Richmond thing then one of those general ongoing things that the AFL seem to feel the need to do in the interests of 'equalisation' which they seem to see as bringing some spice to the competition (whether this works or not, or improves their bottom line is something I don't know).

I would think that Richmond are simply in that position, as other teams have been before. If Melbourne were to become equally dominant then ultimately any significant adjustment to the rules would similarly impact us.

The only other explanation, which seems less likely, would be that AFL hate your coach or administration - or hate Richmond more broadly for mysterious reasons. I wouldn't have thought Hardwick would have drawn too much ire. The only real scandal I can recall with him was running off with a physio or whatever and leaving his wife during the hubs - but the AFL itself seems to have a pretty casual regard for fidelity so I doubt its that. I guess Hardwick has had his share of bitching after a loss about rules, decisions, umpiring but not more than any other coach, and nowhere near the level that say a Brad Scott achieved as a coach, and he has been amply rewarded. If any coach is genuinely pissing off the AFL my guess would be that its Bevo, even before his latest outburst he has a bit of a reputation for excluding various accredited journalists from club insights when he gets the shits with one or the other, and he tends to promote controversial issues that I'm sure the AFL would like to avoid focus on such as bullying, pressure on players etc.

And in general, I would have thought that the resurgence of the Tigers was good for the competition and the AFL, looking at the growth of your already large supporter base and the number of people purchasing memberships who weren't previously. Richmond are good business and I'm not sure why they would be the target of AFL ire.
You should've seen after the Rd 1 loss to Carlton - bunch of posters wanted the coach sacked and anybody over 29 to be dropped to VFL. It's probably the same for you guys when if you lose, a whole bunch of posters come from nowhere and are just brutally negative.

Our whole gripe is that the State of the Game thing and the constant little rule tweaks that came in and stifled freedom (666, stand, ruck nomination etc.) only came in once we were actually good. Shit, we had 37 years of largely uninterrupted putridness - some rule changes to benefit us then would've been appreciated :)

I won't derail your preview thread - hope the Tigers can be competitive but if you guys play anywhere near your best then you'll be far too good. We've got a massive hole in inside mids and that's probably your strongest area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back