Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

dropping wines, rat and rioli is very reactionary and extremely unrealistic.

i agree with burton and jones tho
I agree with Burton as he looks so uninterested. Stands in between blokes never picking anyone up and never tackling. Just cruising around looking for cheap kicks from handballs. It does my head in.
I agree with another poster on Jones he has been average at best but almost keeps his place because we would look horribly slow if Williams came in and played with the others

Houston is great but doesn’t have top end speed, Jones and Burton do, Burton is softer than what I was on the footy field. Still think he’s N Lonie mark 2.

I’d replace him for Williams and push Farrell higher, if he has too, he can run further to collect the kick ins!

Bergman probably would have more influence on the HBF than Jones.

Houston is great but doesn’t have top end speed, Jones and Burton do, Burton is softer than what I was on the footy field. Still think he’s N Lonie mark 2.

I’d replace him for Williams and push Farrell higher, if he has too, he can run further to collect the kick ins!

Bergman probably would have more influence on the HBF than Jones.
I would get rid of Burton full stop. Will never be anything more than he already is which is a soft flakey flanker. We have too many soft utensils. We cannot get rid,of them all but we start with donuts and hope the new coach sorts out the softies one way or the other.

If history is anything to go by, we are guaranteed to lose at least one showdown. One stat I discovered today is that in every season that collingwood has beaten us in Melbourne, the croms have managed to beat us 😞

The players just don't have the confidence or believe in themselves when playing against the good teams.

This isn't a new issue either, you can go back to the semi final in 2013 or prelim in 2014, where we started brilliantly and had two great teams on the ropes. But it was like we couldn't believe our luck and in the back of our heads we just knew they'd come back and roll us, because we aren't worthy or good enough, we are just a little battler club from Alberton after all. Hinkley even admitted that he told the players to prepare for a 3rd quarter onslaught from Geelong in the 2013 semi, after we went in 4 goals up at half time. Rather than telling the players that we've got them right where we want them and we can bury them.

They beat the teams below them on the ladder because they believe in themselves in those games, have confidence that they will get it done and don't panic as much even when things go against them.

The coach is 100% the issue with this mindset. It certainly doesn't help having a coach that reminds them all the time how good certain opposition are, and how we've got a long way to go or we are chasing them, or whatever the current term is to basically implant in their heads that they aren't good enough.

And they just get told to work harder, year after year that's the only solution Hinkley can come up with.
Maybe, but 2014 we beat Freo in Perth in the SF coming from behind and winning in the last half of the final quarter. I agree, I have zero faith in us winning the tough games but I’m starting to wonder if it’s more that our coach needs to lighten up a bit. Successful modern day coaches seem to be able to have a balance, couldn’t believe it when I saw McRae laughing with Bobby Hill when they were 5 goals down but can’t help think he knew he had to calm the farm.

I agree with Burton as he looks so uninterested. Stands in between blokes never picking anyone up and never tackling. Just cruising around looking for cheap kicks from handballs. It does my head in.
I agree with another poster on Jones he has been average at best but almost keeps his place because we would look horribly slow if Williams came in and played with the others

As much as Jones is the worst ball handler I’ve ever seen - I give him 10 for his efforts, you can never say he doesn’t go in hard.

Any PAFC coach worth their salt would have dropped and horsewhipped Burton for any number of pissweak pea jarred efforts this year

Absolutely shameful he’s allowed to keep pulling that guernsey on

Anyways I am sick of it. Early 2022 I bumped into half the team at the local bakery back home & my daughter was curious as to who all the big men in the same uniforms were & still bitter about the 2021pf loss I said aloud “they’re just a bunch of overpaid chokers & pretenders” so all could hear. Got a few dirty looks but you could see in their eyes that they knew it was the truth
Sorry mate but the only thing they would have known was that you weren’t brave enough to say it one on one.

Where is “back home” I gather those overpaid chokers were working if they were in their uniforms.

Anyways I am sick of it. Early 2022 I bumped into half the team at the local bakery back home & my daughter was curious as to who all the big men in the same uniforms were & still bitter about the 2021pf loss I said aloud “they’re just a bunch of overpaid chokers & pretenders” so all could hear. Got a few dirty looks but you could see in their eyes that they knew it was the truth

… and then everyone stood to applaud.

Maybe, but 2014 we beat Freo in Perth in the SF coming from behind and winning in the last half of the final quarter. I agree, I have zero faith in us winning the tough games but I’m starting to wonder if it’s more that our coach needs to lighten up a bit. Successful modern day coaches seem to be able to have a balance, couldn’t believe it when I saw McRae laughing with Bobby Hill when they were 5 goals down but can’t help think he knew he had to calm the farm.
Interesting take
Earlier in the year I saw something on one of the footy shows re McRae sending lovely dovey texts to his players on his way home from training when they were 0-3, offering his players cuddles & showing concern for their mental welfare like an old mother.
The old school coach who screams & abuses players doesn’t work with the younger generation, I guess a balance is needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s because they’re freo. Hinkley isn’t scared of freo, whilst they were decent back then he has never been threatened by them. So the players played accordingly, but the mighty cats and hawks at the gee, bloody lucky to get that close boys.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So true & add in they are also too lazy to go thru the process of hiring an external coach & don't want that process to expose them.
Spot on. They’re terrified of outside influence because it could expose and blow the lid off the cosy little circle jerk they’ve had going down there for far too long, to the detriment of the club.

I’d imagine a Hardwick or Adam Kingsley would have come in and torn strips off the place in its current iteration.

Hence - internal promotions galore! Keep the joke going.

Interesting take
Earlier in the year I saw something on one of the footy shows re McRae sending lovely dovey texts to his players on his way home from training when they were 0-3, offering his players cuddles & showing concern for their mental welfare like an old mother.
The old school coach who screams & abuses players doesn’t work with the younger generation, I guess a balance is needed

We’ve been doing cuddles and lovey dovey crap here for years, that s**t wears thin eventually. Worked okay in our first couple years of Ken but I reckon some of our players need an old school spray.

Sorry mate but the only thing they would have known was that you weren’t brave enough to say it one on one.

Where is “back home” I gather those overpaid chokers were working if they were in their uniforms.
What are they going to do? Hit me with their handbags? If you said something like that to an old school ports player like Hodges he would stick your head up your arse but these blokes couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
Pretty pathetic futile thing to to say I guess, but as a 30 year member of a club my grandfather played for I felt entitled to give ‘em my two cents’ & no more futile than posting rubbish on some forum.

Home is western suburbs of Adelaide, in Yiwu atm, a place our learned “importer/ exporter” friend should know well

What are they going to do? Hit me with their handbags? If you said something like that to an old school ports player like Hodges he would stick your head up your arse but these blokes couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
Pretty pathetic futile thing to to say I guess, but as a 30 year member of a club my grandfather played for I felt entitled to give ‘em my two cents’ & no more futile than posting rubbish on some forum.

Home is western suburbs of Adelaide, in Yiwu atm, a place our learned “importer/ exporter” friend should know well
FUKCIN' WELL SAID!!

The other thing listening to coach Kelly from Geelong, they also empower their players to make positional changes out on the field without coaching intervention.

Our players blindly follow without any adaptive thought, which was highlighted a few weeks ago after the Melbourne game when Ollie was asked about trying a lead up player to expose lever and he replied with, we follow the game plan of the coaches, that’s it.

Our boys will blindly follow their father figure to the grave without challenging. Maybe there’s a wasteland of players out of our club, who did challenge and not wasn’t liked?

The other thing listening to coach Kelly from Geelong, they also empower their players to make positional changes out on the field without coaching intervention.

Our players blindly follow without any adaptive thought, which was highlighted a few weeks ago after the Melbourne game when Ollie was asked about trying a lead up player to expose lever and he replied with, we follow the game plan of the coaches, that’s it.

Our boys will blindly follow their father figure to the grave without challenging. Maybe there’s a wasteland of players out of our club, who did challenge and not wasn’t liked?
Great post
I recall someone talking about the old carlton teams & how they pretty much coached themselves. Senior players would recognise issues in game & adjust things/ make positional moves on their own and on the fly during games
What the hell are our senior players doing?
Real lack of senior onfield leadership
The 8 goal run on is a good example

Great post
I recall someone talking about the old carlton teams & how they pretty much coached themselves. Senior players would recognise issues in game & adjust things/ make positional moves on their own and on the fly during games
What the hell are our senior players doing?
Real lack of senior onfield leadership
The 8 goal run on is a good example
I cant think of any senior players who are even remotely capable of that. Rozee wouldnt lol.

Dixon? The guy is the dumbest footballer on earth.

Boak? Nah - daddys plan or else.

We have a massive leadership void.

As much as Jones is the worst ball handler I’ve ever seen - I give him 10 for his efforts, you can never say he doesn’t go in hard.

Any PAFC coach worth their salt would have dropped and horsewhipped Burton for any number of pissweak pea jarred efforts this year

Absolutely shameful he’s allowed to keep pulling that guernsey on
Absolutely. I think Jones has plenty of upside as opposed to softy Burton. I would drop him immediately. Sick of these soft pricks who are a big part of our soft underbelly.

We’ve been doing cuddles and lovey dovey crap here for years, that s**t wears thin eventually. Worked okay in our first couple years of Ken but I reckon some of our players need an old school spray.

What works for one club won't necessarily work for another club. We don't have the inbuilt competitive advantages that Collingwood enjoy. McRae is a great coach for Collingwood but I doubt his approach would be successful at Port.

We need an us against them fire and brimstone coach who is going to get the players running through the brick wall of self doubt and inferiority that naturally envelopes a club like ours. Bevo is an example of this sort of coach. A Daddy figure isn't going to get that done.

In all seriousneess I think it would be a useful academic exercise to watch again, just to try and understand what was so successful in the first 15 minutes and how it was completely discarded subsequently. For example, how was it that Butters had more posessions in the first quarter than the rest of the game combined.

I'm not going to though. I'm already on hypertension meds.
Agree. Obviously the work rate & desire of both teams changed completely but beyond that I'm clueless. Our midfield which was recently ranked best in the league (lol, you can't rank on potential) has now been beaten by the Melbourne, Freo & Pies midfields. Talented yes but when it counts, against quality opposition, they go missing.

Absolutely. I think Jones has plenty of upside as opposed to softy Burton.
Nah. A good coach could toughen up Burton, but a good coach can't fix Lachie. You can coach toughness, you can't coach talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back