Review Round 7, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie lifted after 1\4 +Kicked the winning goal under pressure.
Trav B played a solid game.
Hopefully Peps has a jarred knee and nothing worse.
Burgoyne won some big moments late in the game.
Burgman becoming a really solid player.
Showdown looks really tricky.But regardless of our team fitness.Crows underperformed 2024 will all come out in the showdown
Yes: it will be the hapless Crow's final.

How commentary Higgins unlucky or safe as Skir was kicking the ball? He was trying to kick the ball in the tackle so he didn’t get nailed HTB!

Seriously

Funniest part of the game. First quarter Rowan Marshall spends some time off the ground potentially injured, even going down to the rooms. So what do we do? Throw Charlie Dixon in to the ruck for the next centre bounce, then he runs forward and Ollie Wines is next man up for the ruck contest.
Instead of capitalising on St. Kildas sole ruckman being off the ground injured, we actually nullify any possible advantage by taking ours off too and sending a 187cm midfielder to contest the ruck.
It defies all logic and to be honest it kind of sums up everything I hate about this regime.
The pre-game plan would have been to rest Sweet when Marshall was not in the ruck where Sweet was by far the best ruck on the night.

Gutsy win in the end with so many injuries.

But the first quarter kicking for goal was so terrible it left us exposed to potential disasters for later in the match.

1-8 from 15x I50 then 10-8 from 38xI50.

Gutsy win in the end with so many injuries.

But the first quarter kicking for goal was so terrible it left us exposed to potential disasters for later in the match.

1-8 from 15x I50 then 10-8 from 38xI50.
Agree mate. Apart from our absolutely diabolical goal kicking we actually played quite well. Our forward and tackling pressure was excellent. Ball movement was good too. Forward line stagnant as always. Just lucky Charlie had his kicking boots on as he is usually the least reliable of the 3 talls.

Drew was awesome. Had a great game. Jase
Excellent on the outside. Sweet was impressive.

Butters, Wines and JHF all stood up when it mattered in the last half. Zerk and Rat were really good in the last quarter too

Was a good gutsy win

right in front of me
200.gif

we all can’t be like Darcy Moore

F2EDF3AD-DD38-45F7-AAB2-259F205FA12B.jpeg

“So... Why am I afraid? I'm NOT afraid, I'm afraid of the boogeyman. Who's the boogeyman? YOU FIGURE IT OUT. I'm gettin outta here, I'm going back to Waterloo where the Vampire hang out. And I'm gonna wear my sunglasses that night, you know why?…”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#AFLPowerSaints Final x
Scores: PORT 81 from expected 91.6 (+1 rushed)
STK 72 from expected 54.6 (+0 rushed)

1714175093849.png

1st quarter BUT 2 scoring shots missing.

#AFLPowerSaints Q1 26:51 xScore update:
PORT 12 from expected 21.2
STK 20 from expected 13.1
Current: PORT Win 72.3% 21.2pts
Pregame: PORT Win 86.5% 35.3pts
Up to 2 shot(s) missing

1714175238708.png

Still here! So he kicked straight? Big freaking deal. First time for everything . Lost count how many times he spoiled team mates in the marking contest making unrealistic attempts or when teammates are in a better position to mark and the ball being whisked away.

At least he provided a contest unlike Marshall.

We don’t win that game without Dixon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The commentary in particular the last quarter was most probably the worst biased garbage I’ve heard. They seemed to get off on injuries & how now Saints will run us off our feet. Even in the dying minutes a clear high tackle on Francis in front of goals wasn’t even spoken of, just dead silence. There was no excitement on the siren either, it was though they all backed the Saints highly on Sportsbet & just lost a nice winnings. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How commentary Higgins unlucky or safe as Skir was kicking the ball? He was trying to kick the ball in the tackle so he didn’t get nailed HTB!

Seriously
Yeah, if they don't suspend Higgins for that they're basically saying we should get rid of the holding the ball rule as players being tackled should have a duty of care to protect themselves first and foremost rather than trying to effect a legal disposal.

This year has that 11-4 vibe
Our best 20 is better than our best 20 in 2018. But if we get a few injuries we could well do a 2018.

I tipped we would win 12 to 15 games this year. We won 12 in 2018.

Still here! So he kicked straight? Big freaking deal. First time for everything . Lost count how many times he spoiled team mates in the marking contest making unrealistic attempts or when teammates are in a better position to mark and the ball being whisked away.
You've done a remarkable job trying to make a case that Dixon was rubbish last night.
I wish he didn't have games where he had concrete hands too. I wish he always kicked like he did last night. But a 30 year old no ankle Dixon is a vastly better key forward than any other option we have.

We played terrible but it was a great win .
Good to see Charlie have a good game , Todd was awful though . Georgi couldn’t kick straight , he wasn’t the Lone Ranger though .
Burgoyne was excellent , once he can get some power into his kicks he’ll be a player .
Sweet was solid and did exactly what he was recruited for .
Boak was good but like Burgoyne , his kicking held him back .
Thought Wines was pretty ordinary except for the last quarter.
Drew was immense .
JHF was brilliant- my best .
Butters was good although he had some changers .
Jones was good .
Houston was excellent
BZT was good
Ratogalea was solid especially after Allir went off . I think for balance we might be better off with one or the other in the backline because BZT has nailed his spot .
Bergman was excellent and is coming into some nice form .

Have been very critical of Jones but his bursting through the lines was a real positive. Got lucky a few times but a solid game

Burgers best game, is looking really comfortable at the level now. Needs to know his limitations by foot

Forward line sucks ass

Bergman should be permanent HBF that’s absolutely his spot. Jettison Burton to st kilda with Bonner

Was out and only watched the last 10 min of the game. I think I watched the best bit. 3 great highlights. Burgoyne’s pick up, evasion and relieving kick out of defence. His intercept mark. JHF pick up and give for Wines to goal after getting the head tackle.

Set shots on goal - from my notes in my AFL Record, so by number order, not time order in Quarter.

We took 13 marks inside 50.

Q1
SPP....... Free - Behind
Marshall Mark - Behind
Bergman Mark - Behind but mark was taken right on 50m arc line
Georgiades Mark - Behind
Byrne-Jones Mark - went for pass to Marshall, who made an U/10 marking error and dropped the ball 40m out.
l
Q2
Georgiades Mark - Behind
Dixon....... Mark - Goal
Dixon....... Mark - Goal

Q3
Marshall Mark - Behind
Burgoyne Mark - Behind
Rioli...... Mark - Goal
Dixon... Mark - Goal
Dixon... Free - Did not make the distance
Byrne-Jones Mark - Goal
Byrne-Jones Mark - Behind

Q4
Georgiades Free - Behind
Dixon...... Free - Goal

17 Frees or marks inside 50 for 6.9,
*1 did not make the distance,
*1 nice pass but an U/10 marking error meant no shot on goal as ball turned over.

Had to smile this morning when I heard on the 5AA news, "Port's season is back on track." Yeah we won the game, but it was hardly the sort of performance that screams "premiership favourite". Let's see how we go next week, and particularly the week after at the Cattery, before we start getting too excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back