Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I've thought the backline has been pretty good this year in keeping scores low, a little bit rusty early in those games against West Coast and Richmond but pretty solid since then.

Even against Freo where we played like s**t overall, i thought the back 6 held up pretty well.

But my god were they putrid on saturday.

I honestly don't mind them torching Allir in the media because we talk about our team being downhill skiers all the time and he is exhibit a. He wilts under pressure better than any in our team. Does not like the pressure turned up, and was found spectating a couple times.

Burton is lost, completely out of sorts and his lack of effort in the contest must either mean he has the heart the size of a pea or is injured.

BZT had a shocker too, and grabbed at his shoulder a couple times. Either he is fit to play or we should've played McKenzie. We gave Dixon a week off for reasons, so not sure why we played BZT if he wasn't up to it.

Houston i thought along with JHF was the only player that didn't disgrace themselves but then watching first crack last night it was quite alarming how slow he looked running back, and the goals at which Collingwood was getting out the back were far too easy.

Collingwood made our whole backline look slow, which is probably why we've persisted with Jones because if you take him out and replace with Williams we are really slow.

the alarms bell going off is that the two major issues last year in a leaky defence and weak midfield when pressure applied are still th most obvious issues that haven't yet been rectified.

Rozee, Butters & Wines like seriously FFS when are you boys going to fight the fight against a good team. JHF showed them all up and he is the youngest. It's all well and good to put your ski's on and hit the slopes against the s**t teams but it is actually getting ridiculous watching this midfield get smashed every time heat is applied.

I thought the idea of Wazza coming in was to make changes straight away???

So he's just gonna sit on his ass and do F all for a year????
If there’s a 9 member board and he has one vote, what do you expect him to change? Being on an board with views different to the controlling member and his followers it’s very difficult to enact change.

It is very slow and has to be very strategic, not to mention can be very uncomfortable and alienating

Sidebottom saying they knew pregame if they got their pressure right we'd wilt says it all really, you can throw all the tactics you like at the dart board other clubs know we are weak of mind & can't handle heat.
Even when they were down, they had a confidence about them.

You're pretty sure about it but this just confirms it.

Sidebottom saying they knew pregame if they got their pressure right we'd wilt says it all really, you can throw all the tactics you like at the dart board other clubs know we are weak of mind & can't handle heat.
There was a clip on AFL360 back in the 2013/2014 days where Ken Hinkley is telling players to learn to “handle the *ing heat”. 10 years later and his playing group are worse at handling in game pressure.

1713762983331.jpeg
Scared Boy Meets World GIF

sad-sleep.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that we have no structure on which to fall back onto when the heat is brought. That's why you get the panicked dump-kicks and the attempted slap-ons and hack-kicks off the ground. In that, we need someone who shows incredible poise and skill to shine through that. Most players would not be able to.

In contrast, well-drilled sides, like Geelong, can absorb pressure until they are able to get it to the outside where their structure has held up.

Again, it is down to coaching failures.

The problem is that we have no structure on which to fall back onto when the heat is brought. That's why you get the panicked dump-kicks and the attempted slap-ons and hack-kicks off the ground. In that, we need someone who shows incredible poise and skill to shine through that. Most players would not be able to.

In contrast, well-drilled sides, like Geelong, can absorb pressure until they are able to get it to the outside where their structure has held up.

I agree 100% with this. We have always lived and died by the individual brilliance of our players. What system do we have? Individual brilliance goes out the window when other teams get a roll on and your confidence is shot. A history of capitulation in big games feeds into it.

You can finger point at individuals out there, but during that first quarter, everyone was singing their praises. AA's loose play was being lauded. Collingwood start getting a roll on and all of a sudden you have one side that drops games against big sides against a surging reigning premier. You mitigate that mental fragility by reinforcing system and having a plan b.

I think I saw some of the worst ever attempted soccers-off-the-ground and knock-ons ever by our players. Surprised a couple of players didn't tear a groin.

Geelong have said the same thing about Port since 2007.

We need a coach like Chris Scott who can add some steel to the side.

Hinkley blathers on about Our Brand and bringing contested footy. Talks a good fight.

The players just don't have the confidence or believe in themselves when playing against the good teams.

This isn't a new issue either, you can go back to the semi final in 2013 or prelim in 2014, where we started brilliantly and had two great teams on the ropes. But it was like we couldn't believe our luck and in the back of our heads we just knew they'd come back and roll us, because we aren't worthy or good enough, we are just a little battler club from Alberton after all. Hinkley even admitted that he told the players to prepare for a 3rd quarter onslaught from Geelong in the 2013 semi, after we went in 4 goals up at half time. Rather than telling the players that we've got them right where we want them and we can bury them.

They beat the teams below them on the ladder because they believe in themselves in those games, have confidence that they will get it done and don't panic as much even when things go against them.

The coach is 100% the issue with this mindset. It certainly doesn't help having a coach that reminds them all the time how good certain opposition are, and how we've got a long way to go or we are chasing them, or whatever the current term is to basically implant in their heads that they aren't good enough.

And they just get told to work harder, year after year that's the only solution Hinkley can come up with.

Yep, they are f$&&(d in the head. Loser/ choker mentality with poor leadership on & off the field.
8 goal onslaught & not a whimper from anyone but Jhf. A kid.
Time to cult the deadwood
Make the players realise there are consequences for being gutless pea hearted wimps
Drop wines, Rioli, burton, jones, rat
Who cares if we lose next week
It’s for the long term good

Yep, they are f$&&(d in the head. Loser/ choker mentality with poor leadership on & off the field.
8 goal onslaught & not a whimper from anyone but Jhf. A kid.
Time to cult the deadwood
Make the players realise there are consequences for being gutless pea hearted wimps
Drop wines, Rioli, burton, jones, rat
Who cares if we lose next week
It’s for the long term good
dropping wines, rat and rioli is very reactionary and extremely unrealistic.

i agree with burton and jones tho

dropping wines, rat and rioli is very reactionary and extremely unrealistic.

i agree with burton and jones tho
Probably is but it would make a statement
& there needs to be a circuit breaker or this pattern of underperforming chokers will continue
A proper footy club has competition for spots. If you don’t perform you are out. Players look far too comfortable

Anyways I am sick of it. Early 2022 I bumped into half the team at the local bakery back home & my daughter was curious as to who all the big men in the same uniforms were & still bitter about the 2021pf loss I said aloud “they’re just a bunch of overpaid chokers & pretenders” so all could hear. Got a few dirty looks but you could see in their eyes that they knew it was the truth

Those 2 goals we coughed up in a row before half time, where both came after we had first hand on the clearance and shat our dacks, falling over and fumbling under pressure in the clearance, should be on repeat at the club this week. But modern day footy they won't want to make them feel bad about those weak insipid efforts, instead they'll just talk about the positives so we can all feel good.

Those 2 goals we coughed up in a row before half time, where both came after we had first hand on the clearance and shat our dacks, falling over and fumbling under pressure in the clearance, should be on repeat at the club this week. But modern day footy they won't want to make them feel bad about those weak insipid efforts, instead they'll just talk about the positives so we can all feel good.
That's the problem there's rarely any consequences for poor efforts so they just roll on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back