Preview Preview and Changes: Round 6 - Port v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dixon on a short lead

Limping Walking Stick GIF by Ros na Rún

Ok but what does any of this have to do with 2023/24. We won on the weekend and when we lose its generally because our midfield was shut down.
Pretty much every game where our midfields been shut down has been against top eight teams in big games over the last eight years. We've put a loadstone around our neck during these type of games by playing one of the worst rucks, weakest full forwards and an undersized backline for years. The list management have finally sorted out most of these issues the last one being the fraud at full forward.

Maybe your midfield get beaten then you need to rely on your defense, we've seen teams that have succeeded by playing rebound football for years. The reason we haven't excelled in rebound football is because of the game plan of kick it to Dixon to reset the play and have another stopage. Against weak teams with worse midfields than us this works, against better teams with All Australian caliber intercept defenders and rucks our long kicks to Dixon just get intercepted and we have a whole field breakdown.

What I'm saying is a combination of game plan and reliance on Dixon that works against weaker opposition is fundamentally flawed, because even when we get on top in the midfield he is so often taken to the cleaners in big games that the opposition do what I'm saying we can't when the situations are reversed. They intercept and start their attacks from the back half after we are unable to score from repeat inside 50s directed at the gigantic bollard called Charlie Dixon while he wrestles and the third man in floats across and takes another mark.

I have worked out our strategy.

We will have Sweet (206cm), Soldo (204cm) and Marshall (198cm) parked in the forward line to stretch the defence. Wines will surprise and ruck centre square, win the clearance to kick high onto McEntee’s head at full forward.

Seen before haven’t we.

😀
Has playing 2 rucks ever worked for us?

To be fair to Adelaide…. At least they dropped him, or used his injury in round 3 not to select him.

Yeah it is a matter of expectations though.

Pedlar is a pick 11 and depending on who you ask, is the second coming of Riccuito.

Jed McEntee is... well... yeah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With hinkley at the helm every game is a shot in the dark. Collingwood at the G brings with it the likelihood of hinkley being outcoached again.
What will it take to hold this guy to account!

We did play Matty as a forward though. It didn't go well.
I can remember when you could go back to Alberton after a Footy Park game. Brogan for some reason had been dropped for that game (matchups possibly) and the members were not happy. Choco got onto the stage and tried to calm the doubters with “what are you guys on about, we’s won didn’t we, whatcha bitching about”. Perhaps that was a time when we were playing those 3.
Good times!

View attachment 1964339

Good of Fox to add teal to our logo where there is none.

Garry Lyon just said “I don’t think they’ll be wearing the prisonbar tomorrow! Nope! It’ll be the black and white stripes versus the TEAL, black and white”

Haha. What a world.

we all expect sweet to spend the majority time rucking and soldo more of a forward this week due to having slightly more forward craft. they both could be playing really bad or even one of them, if this is the case i would expect sweet to be subbed and soldo returning to full time ruck and go smaller in the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back