Preview Preview and Changes: Round 6 - Port v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the ripping of Dixon for getting slaughtered by Pearce, what about Luke Ryan's opponent? He had an even better game than Pearce. 11 marks to Pearce's 4. Pretty sure he played on MG / Marshall for a lot of the night. Dixon got smashed, but honestly, so did all our talls. To single Dixon out is a bit average.

For all the ripping of Dixon for getting slaughtered by Pearce, what about Luke Ryan's opponent? He had an even better game than Pearce. 11 marks to Pearce's 4. Pretty sure he played on MG / Marshall for a lot of the night. Dixon got smashed, but honestly, so did all our talls. To single Dixon out is a bit average.
Yes, Dixon was soundly beaten, but also took two huge contested marks which he converted for goals at critical times in a low scoring game. Port only kicked 9 for the game and between Dixon, Marshall and MG they kicked 5 of them, so when given context, it wasn’t the tall forwards, it was the game plan, as Freo parked the bus.

When you look at the total game intercepts possessions, it was 70-63 to Port. The difference was Aliir (8 intercepts), Houston (8), Wines (7), Farrell (6) were taken them in the centre not at full back.

Outside Peace (13) and Ryan (9) for Freo the next highest for Freo was Aish (6). All defenders and a majority of which in the defensive 50, were 17 other Freo players could lay blocks.

All this tells you was that Freo parked the bus and played a so defensive that it made Ross Lyon look like an offensive coach. All Freo games will be horrible to watch this year.

It also tells you that Port were too slow in changing the game plan from the “bomb it to Charlie” where he was trying to out mark 18 players who were all trying to block his run at the ball to a work it in style. It will be interesting to see how they approach it against Collingwood. Marshall and MG need to provide lead up options, otherwise Moore and Howe will just use their athleticism and height to zone off and intercept.

Swap them around with McEntee as coach and Hinkley as forward pocket and we probably win the premiership.
Lol the mental image of hinkley doing his effeminate run to apply forward pressure

There are so many forward entries in a game. You theoretically have up there, Dixon, Marshall, Mitch, Finlayson, Rioli, SPP even DBJ who would you like to place Mckentee infront of as a go to target?

There’s a finite amount of possessions in a game? What 330? You have Rozee, Butters, Wines, JHF, Drew, Houston to start with most likely collecting half of those, 6 players, his opportunity to receive the ball again is very limited.

He is the weak seagull fighting for the very last chip.

People’s expectation on deliverables here IMO are unrealistic, his value is pressure acts and defensive pressure, if he sucks there well he should go, possessions or goals isn’t his metric.

Just my thoughts
If you going to put a thumbs down, answer the question? Who do you want targeted less than Mckentee in that list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP spent a lot of time on Ryan after HT.

If you going to put a thumbs down, answer the question? Who do you want targeted less than Mckentee in that list?
Would you say we target Evans or Narkle more than McEntee? Because they both manage more possessions and more goals in the same system.

SPP was terrible, he would want to improve on that because as a new player in the leadership group a 4 week suspension and an absolute howler first game is not the greatest start to the year.

In a perfect world SPP would have played sanfl for a week to get some touch back.

I'd expect 100% improvement this week.

If not he's under the pump the following week.

Not to mention all the frees against.
missed goals too, and there was that one contest on the wing where he must've thought it was going out of bounds and just gave up and Jordan Clark absolutely jetted off in front of him. Honestly, i don't think it is harsh to say he was the worst player on the ground.

Dixon over his career and this season (55.3% and 44.4%) has a better GA% than Marshall (54.9% and 41.2%) and Finlayson((50.8% and 42.1%). You cannot point a finger at Charlie for goalkicking without also doing it at those other two.

You may say Dixon is easily exploited, especially on the back of the Fremantle match. You can also say that every team like to have a target man and Dixon is still one of the best in the competition. 5th for contested marks, rarely outmarked and brings the ball to ground more adventageously than any of our other talls. He commands the number one defender, and often one other, which should assist our other talls. If it doesn't that is on our coaches and our players, not on Charlie. Despite being slow, he still averages nearly a mark a game on a lead.

So who would these ruthless coaches be blooding? Lord who is an even worse kick for goal and is currently injured. A 19 yo Scully who gives away about 10kg to the best key defenders?

Blame our list management, blame our gameplan. I do. But blaming Charlie for still being our most commanding forward at 33 is just not his fault. Thus he continues to get games. At least until Lord is fit. Alternatively we can hope that Mitch becones a viable contested target deep which despite his athleticism is quite and ask for a 192cm forward these days.
t's not just the Freo game. It is this year and last year and injuries and oldness. He is hard to watch. He is just cooked.

I am happy to point the finger at Finlayson for his poor goal kicking but not Marshall. Marshall is a good kick for goal. In fact, I would love the spots of Dixon and Finlayson to be given to tall blokes who can kick well especially set shots. We are a very skilled team and there are about 5 blokes who usually gunk up the works.

When Dixon goes, we will not miss him.
And while we are at it, when Boak goes we won't miss him either.

We haven't missed McKenzie.
We haven't missed Lycett.
We haven't missed Jonas.

If Rozee or Butters goes, we will miss them.

We've played without Dixon and we've been fine, actually very good.

I think Marshall is a better forward than Dixon and when we have gone through him we have looked top shelf. I am super happy with the form of Georgiades this year. It is great to see Mitch kick set shots that Charlie and Finny have forgotten to kick.

The reason Charlie gets a great defender is not because he's any good, it's because the gameplan dictates we kick it on his head 50 times a game. It is where the ball will be. Whether you want to call it "Bomb it to Charlie' or 'Kenny's Kluster' it is just where the ball will be. Everyone knows this. The opposition coach knows this. Dixon will be exploited like a 8 year old Chinese kid in an Apple Factory when the heat is on.

And this is the thing, I hope I am wrong and Dixon and I hope I am wrong about Jed. I really do. I am just reading the writing on the wall but I'm going to have to go and get my glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back