Review Round 5, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Banfield, eckert, switkowski, tabiner, Erasmus, Hughes Johnson and O’Meara is finished.

That’s an ordinary group.
Very insteresting list of players you called out. And in a way I agree with a few of them. I know I am going on a massive post...But looking at the list of players you mentioned...

Bailey Banfield: Was solid in his rookie year in 2018 as a mature aged mid as a 20 year old. Practically a 190 cm mid on a forward flank. So yeah a c grade or d grade dud. But he has had some good games in the past.

Eckert? I think you are refering to Tom Emmett: Horrible game vs port on the weekend. But last time he faced Port, he had a better game. 13 disposals and 2 goals. 186 cm medium forward. Mature ager too. from the same SANFL club as Chad Wingard, Sturt.

Sam Switkowski: Again, Like Emmett, a mature aged small or medium sized forward. Most dockers fans like him. I do too. Played ok in that famous 2022 elim final vs the dogs. He is 179 cm tall. Dockers are not spoilt for choice in small forwards outside of Walters and Switta. Losing Lachie schulz to collingwood hurts. I wished we got Tyler Brockman from the hawks last season.

Matt Taberner: His body was cooked. 173 goals from 124 games. I am might get in trouble for this. He is Similar to John Butcher in height ant weight. 197 cm tall and 90- 95 kg. John Butcher should of been a 30-40 goal a season forward.

Neil Erasmus: 190 cm and 80 kg mid. Horrible 2024 so far. 5 disposals vs Port. Posted some solid stats in 2023. Rotational mid.

Ethan Hughes: Frustrating. Turns the ball over too often. Some how made it to 100 dockers games. Got done holding the ball in the back 50. Port had a set shot on goal but missed.

Matthew Johnson: another 190 cm mid. Usually gets 15-20 disposal games. Not the type you build your side around but they are needed for rotations off the bench.

Jager O Meara: Was solid last season. But yeah offering him a 4 year deal as a 29 year old, that didnt sit well with me....

Some of those players are "duds" yet.... None of them would be in the top 5 or even top 10 worst players in freos history.

Close game but not necessarily a good spectacle.
Both weeks Walter’s has been down on form and he’s a big part of your avenue to goals.
The Carlton game you was robbed, possibly should have won the Port game but make sure you beat the Eagles👍
I hate to Bring Up Ross Lyon on here. But it did look like freo still has some Ross Lyon elements on it.

Some Port fans do get frustrated in Ken Hinkleys tactics of Bomb it long to the big fella on the goal square (Dixon) and hope for the best.

Dockers had some inside 50s but couldnt connect with certain players up forward.

Saying that.... this 2024 dockers side is different from our 2012-15 Ross Lyon finals era side.

Go look at Both Port and freos side in that 2014 semi final.

I dont think there was one Dud Player in Ports side, name Ports bottom 6 in that 2014 semi final. I wouldnt even call Jake Neade a Dud. Dockers had spuds or scrubbers like Matt De Boer, Nick Suban and Tendai Mzungu and Cam Sutcliffe in our bottom 6 of out best 22.
Walters been cooked for years
I respectfully Disagree with your opinion.

Yes Walters kicked 40 goals in 2019. He got a spot as an All australian best 22.

you could make an arguement in 2020 (15 goals and 7 Behinds from 14 games) and 2021 (14 goals and 11 behinds from 16 games)

But for 2022 (25 goals and 15 behinds from 21 games) and 2023 (33 goals and 13 behinds from 20 games). I disagree.

Walters kicked 3 goals and 3 behinds in that 2022 elim final vs the dogs. I could say he was one of the main reasons freo won that elim final too.
Switkowski would walk into our forward line.
As a small tall Maybe. He works hard. Lachie Schulz would be good in Ports forward line with Rioli.
Thank you. Really though Freo should have won that game given your midfield dominance until late. Totally ripped off against Carlton who seem to get looked after often.
Sam Powell Pepper was the difference Again. He was the difference the last time Port won in WA late last season too.

and Good user name by the way. Roger James was one of the solid mature aged 20-23 year olds Port had in 1997 along with Michael Wilson and Josh Francou.

Yes, he does this weird thing where he applies excellent defensive pressure but he also gets the ball and kicks goals. I was led to believe by the Jedheads that this wasn't possible.
He's kicked 3 goals for the season. 16 last season from 22 games.

Jed has kicked 2 goals this season, he's played 1 game less (plus got subbed out pretty early through another)
He kicked 14 last season from 20 games.

Switkowski is the superior player, but there's not a huge difference in goals.

I hate to Bring Up Ross Lyon on here. But it did look like freo still has some Ross Lyon elements on it.

Some Port fans do get frustrated in Ken Hinkleys tactics of Bomb it long to the big fella on the goal square (Dixon) and hope for the best.

Dockers had some inside 50s but couldnt connect with certain players up forward.

Saying that.... this 2024 dockers side is different from our 2012-15 Ross Lyon finals era side.

Go look at Both Port and freos side in that 2014 semi final.

I dont think there was one Dud Player in Ports side, name Ports bottom 6 in that 2014 semi final. I wouldnt even call Jake Neade a Dud. Dockers had spuds or scrubbers like Matt De Boer, Nick Suban and Tendai Mzungu and Cam Sutcliffe in our bottom 6 of out best 22.

I respectfully Disagree with your opinion.

Yes Walters kicked 40 goals in 2019. He got a spot as an All australian best 22.

you could make an arguement in 2020 (15 goals and 7 Behinds from 14 games) and 2021 (14 goals and 11 behinds from 16 games)

But for 2022 (25 goals and 15 behinds from 21 games) and 2023 (33 goals and 13 behinds from 20 games). I disagree.

Walters kicked 3 goals and 3 behinds in that 2022 elim final vs the dogs. I could say he was one of the main reasons freo won that elim final too.

As a small tall Maybe. He works hard. Lachie Schulz would be good in Ports forward line with Rioli.

Sam Powell Pepper was the difference Again. He was the difference the last time Port won in WA late last season too.

and Good user name by the way. Roger James was one of the solid mature aged 20-23 year olds Port had in 1997 along with Michael Wilson and Josh Francou.
are you serious? I thought he had a shocker.

are you serious? I thought he had a shocker.
I don't think he had a shocker. Sam Powell pepper had some influence on the game.

Not as good as his last game vs Freo when he kicked 3 goals rotating on the midfield and forward flank.

SPP would be in most teams best 23. My team included

We should have lost that game, but we should have beaten Melbourne, so 4-1 is a fair reflection of our season.

I gave up when Brayshaw kicked his goal and thought it will be another Hinkley led Saturday night AO special.

But we faught back and actually played some good defensive footy when we had to protect the lead.

Charlie is a conudrum. Frustratingly encourages the bomb it to Charlie gameplan but his injury/fitness issues mean he wrestles too much and struggles once the ball hit thes the ground and Pearce was able to launch off him.

But he takes that colossus mark deep inside 50, late in the 4th quarter and then becomes an important target around the wing and HB, boundary side of the centre square, the last 5 minutes protecting the lead either marking the ball, or making a contest which leads to a ball up or helping get the ball out of bounds.

No fluke his great mark came from him being in space and able to launch at the ball rather than his usual wrestling.

He is so much better when he leads for the ball rather than stands and wrestle. Some of it is his fault, some of it is the dopey gameplan and some of it is probably because he is hampered by fitness and injuries.

Last edited:
We should have lost that game, but we should have beaten Melbourne, so 4-1 is a fair reflection of our season.

I gave up when Brayshaw kicked his goal and thought it will be another Hinkley led Saturday night AO special.

But we faught back and actually played some good defensive footy when we had to protect the lead.

Charlie is a conudrum. Frustratingly encourages the bomb it to Charlie gameplan but his injury/fitness issues mean he wrestles too much and struggles once the ball hit thes the ground and Pearce was able to launch off him.

But he takes that colossus mark deep inside 50, late in the 4th quarter and then becomes an important target around the wing and HB, boundary side of the centre square, the last 5 minutes protecting the lead either marking the ball, or making a contest which leads to a ball up or helping get the ball out of bounds.

No fluke his great mark came from him being in space and able to launch at the ball rather than his usual wrestling.

He is so much better when he leads for the ball rather than stands and wrestle. Some of it is his fault, some of it is the dopey gameplan and some of it is probably because he is hampered by fitness and injuries.
And in the last three minutes, it was Charlie who after kicking his last goal, told JHF to NOT attend the resultant centre bounce as he had a clear mismatch.

I also like Burton and Farrell when we’re downhill skiing. How have they gone in the cauldron of finals or big games?
Downhill skiers is a good description of this brace of players; where my heart races every time Farrell is tackled.
Burton is far too lose and will be one of the first omitted if we drop two or three games in a row.

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
6 Luke Ryan (FRE)
5 Dan Houston (PORT)
4 Josh Treacy (FRE)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)
port got 8 out of possible 30.

Freo coach must have given Pearce 5, Ryan 4, Treacy 3, Serong 2 and Houston 1

Our coach must have given Pearce 5, Houston 4, Aliir 3, Ryan 2, Treacy 1.

Grumpy Freo coach much. No bias either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back