Review Round 7, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The Koroit Karrot top won the Badcoe medal, but with a 10-13-7-7 game last night, he might one day get into that elusive quadruple double club, that only 8 V/AFL players have achieved.

two big interceptors which I think is one too many as they seem to try and play the same role. Allir has totally dropped off since last year. He still gets in good positions and reads it well but doesn’t hold on to anything. But that might be because he has less room and space to do his thing. I’m not sure we needed Sava R but now we have him I think we should probably only play one of him or Allir.
Missed the game
From the sounds of it I didn’t miss much
but mentioned in Collingwood review thread that rat seems to have stolen Allirs thunder. Both play essentially the same role & wonder if Allir has his nose out of joint.

My only comment is that the negativity on this board is a bit over the top. sometimes if you are a negative whiny biatch all the time it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Saints aren’t that bad, they play a defensive flooding style game so it’s a decent test for ports
And it’s a long long season, we don’t want to peak too early like last season, rather time our run into the finals & injuries provide an opportunity for others to get a run & show their wares.

Key Forwards set the tone for a forward line in terms of goal kicking efficiency, always have, always will. The most disappointing thing was/is that Todd Marshall can't take the game by the scruff of the neck. He doesn't get the ball enough, and if he doesn't kick straight he is a liability. He kicks the goal in the first quarter, the whole game changes.

I'm not saying others also didn't miss, like SPP, and Georgi, but Marshall time and time again misses important goals, or the first goal of the game. FFS - go back and slot the darn thing.

We were saved by Dixon. He takes the game by the throat. Not always. But he has big balls and is the spiritual leader of the forward line and the team follows. If Lord was available, along with Finlayson next week, Marshall should be having some B-grade time to work on his game.

As Scully is still too young, Dixon is ageing, Georgiades isn't a big key forward, Finlayson has a lot going on in his life, and Lord is injured - Marshall needs to stand up. He has had one ok year with 45 goals in 2022. He is on 9 goals from 7 games.

Here are some upgrades:

2024 out of contract Jamarra - would be throwing the kitchen sink at Jamarra, and then trading Marshall, while he still has currency.

2025 Free agents - also worth throwing cash at. All provide more than Marshall.
Noah Balta
Darcy Fogarty
Jake Waterman
Oscar Allen

I've just finished watching the replay.

That last quarter was freakin' heroic.

Blokes were out on their feet, but kept busting their guts - DBJ could barely walk, but had a one minute sit down before being forced to re-enter the fray, whereupon he dived on loose balls, stretched desperately for a spoil and forced himself to sprint back into defence.

BZT...I'm not calling him Margaret anymore, that was a man's game. He worked so hard to position himself as the last keeper of the line, and that blind spoil actually hit the middle of his fist.

Boak was running so hard, he can't help but get involved in the action. Shame he is a ball butcher.

Wines showed steely determination to atone for his limp performance last week. He absolutely refused to lose.

JHF took on the responsibility of full-time onballer, he is still learning but stood up when it counted.

Junior Senior Burger can look so laconic, but when he turns on the jets he's really fast. His ball handling is now at AFL standard.

Lachie still drops too much, but when he has the ball and a head of steam, he bursts through lines.

Houston is such a smart footballer. He turns up in all the right places and makes intelligent, creative decisions.

Sweet rucked virtually all night, apart from little rests where Wines and Dixon took over. But Jordan attended just about every single centre bounce, and wasn't above getting down on his knees to contest a loose ball. Some marks up the line is his next thing to be working on.

Bergman had his best game as a winger. He drifted back more to help out the damaged defence, but I was more impressed that he kept his width better than he had been. Prior to last night, he looked like a winger who wanted to play in the centre square too often, but this game he stayed wide.

Ratugolea took on responsibilities that he has never done before when Allir went down. He plays in front, and keeps his position in the defensive structure.

And Drew absolutely deserved the Badcoe Medal - he subdued Jack Steele, won his own ball, displayed courage standing under high bombs and was always at the bottom of the packs fighting hard.

Last edited:
One of the more bizarre cases of group think on this board. Has been clearly our best forward for close to a decade now and yet half this board thinks he's a spud and that 'the forward line looks better without him'. Actual insanity.
One can be both a spud and also the best Port has to offer.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Ratugolea killed it after Aliir went down. Very important

In an ideal world you’d only play 2 of Aliir/Rat/BZT with DylWill as the medium third tall — which would also go a long way to solving the D50 groundball problem — but when all three are on good money and were recruited for a prominent lynchpin role, it’s quite the pickle.

The female solider who did a great job signing the Kiwi national anthem God Defend New Zealand in both Maori and English, and Advance Australia Fair, did a great set at half time and her army band was pretty tight as well. You could tell she was loving it.

Get her back for more half time gigs, rather than having announcers shout bullshit at us.

2025 Free agents - also worth throwing cash at. All provide more than Marshall.
Noah Balta
Darcy Fogarty
Jake Waterman
Oscar Allen
You had me up to the Fogarty bit
Reality is that there are very few & far between half decent tall forwards in the afl.
Fogarty would have been a gun 20 years ago but is just a bit too short, a bit too slow & his stumpy little t-Rex arms won’t cut it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol afls match report doesnt even mention burgoyne except for being listed in the best. Poor reporting.
Did you expect anything else from the Malbun based, AFL Media work experience kiddies??

We played terrible but it was a great win .
Good to see Charlie have a good game , Todd was awful though . Georgi couldn’t kick straight , he wasn’t the Lone Ranger though .
Burgoyne was excellent , once he can get some power into his kicks he’ll be a player .
Sweet was solid and did exactly what he was recruited for .
Boak was good but like Burgoyne , his kicking held him back .
Thought Wines was pretty ordinary except for the last quarter.
Drew was immense .
JHF was brilliant- my best .
Butters was good although he had some changers .
Jones was good .
Houston was excellent
BZT was good
Ratogalea was solid especially after Allir went off . I think for balance we might be better off with one or the other in the backline because BZT has nailed his spot .
Bergman was excellent and is coming into some nice form .
I feel like Jones is getting closer and closer to a breakout game where it just all clicks.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gutsy win in the end with so many injuries.

But the first quarter kicking for goal was so terrible it left us exposed to potential disasters for later in the match.

1-8 from 15x I50 then 10-8 from 38xI50.
Said to my mate that Todd & Georgie would miss those shots during the 1st Q and on queue they obliged. To get their eye in their first kick for goal must be in front from the goal square. Really not good enough when simple angle shots miss going through the tall uprights.
Both Todd & Georgie are confidence players and a simple miss puts them at a disadvantage for the rest of the evening.

You had me up to the Fogarty bit
Reality is that there are very few & far between half decent tall forwards in the afl.
Fogarty would have been a gun 20 years ago but is just a bit too short, a bit too slow & his stumpy little t-Rex arms won’t cut it
What’s the current deal that Jye Amiss has with Fremantle. He would be a great get but I guess Freo would want the farm for him.

I feel like Jones is getting closer and closer to a breakout game where it just all clicks.

I personally have poured heaps of scorn on Jones but last nights performance gives us doubters some hope that he can turn his form around and become an accomplished AFL player, perhaps not in the back lines as personally I would like his type of play be on show as a forward.

Still here! So he kicked straight? Big freaking deal. First time for everything . Lost count how many times he spoiled team mates in the marking contest making unrealistic attempts or when teammates are in a better position to mark and the ball being whisked away.
To be fair Lil, they all have that same problem, its not just Charlie. There is no system - its a mess. Every forward entry is a high bomb into Charlies direction. Our forward structure and our forward entries are just pus! Whenever we did lower the eyes and look for other options, we looked dangerous - It just was not often enough.

If Charlie plays like last night, Marshall holds his marks, and Georgie kicks straight .... We smash St Kilda. All our forwards have issues to work on, but the real problem lies elsewhere. We all know that. Sure, lets call out poor performances, but attacking & blaming individuals for our current sh!tshow, is like complaining about the decor on the Titanic.

Captain Smith was the problem ... We need to get rid of our "Captain Smith!"

The marks he dropped last night he wouldn’t have even tried for a few weeks ago. And if he’d taken them they would have been fantastic as many were at full stretch.
Good to see him regaining confidence.

A bit of a boring game and one we would've been happy to play.
Ross Lyon goes down a notch after that game. Not much going on there.

THE GOOD

A great game by Jase Burgoyne
A great game by Lachie Jones.
Horne-Francis is just the best.
The tall backline holding steady especially without Aliir.
The forward pressure was really good.
Sweet playing well in ruck against an injured Marshall.
Dixon kicking well for goal.
Wines with a good in and under game.
Farrell being let loose and playing the Burton role
The midfield holding together without Rozee.

THE MEDIOCRE

Butters a bit up and down for him especially by foot. Still not bad overall
Marshall and Georgiades kicking poorly for goal.
We should've beaten them by more.

THE UGLY

The injuries.
Marshall just didn't look ready.
Aliir didn't look that ready either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back