Review Round 5, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to win like that I reckon. Usually we don't. They choked us, came with a plan to stop us and we still got over the line. Very good win.

Freo's midfield is every bit as good as ours so for us to get over the line and for Butters, JHF and Wines to all stand up and have good last quarters when it matters was huge. Burgoyne was great, Bergman had his best game for the year and thought Farrell was massive in the second half. Just about his best game for the club.
Yep their mids are elite and they have a few pieces but let’s not kid ourselves they have some woeful footballers as well, at least 8 of them. Our side, with a decent game plan should be belting them at home.

We’re has this idea that Todd has “dropped” off come from? Or that concussions are limiting him?

Referring to Todd’s 2022, where Dixon missed half the year? There’s the problem.

Anyone expecting Todd to kick 40-60 goals a year while we go to Dixon 20x more is being unrealistic.

He’s doing much more with far fewer opportunities than Dixon.

Also of note is that he’s far more effective the further away from Dixon he gets. Anytime he’s near Dixon he’s competing against his opponent, Charlie’s opponent , often a 3rd man up and Charlie himself.

It’s a catch 22.

Todd’s best football is away from Dixon, but we always kick it to Dixon.

Dixon also clearly got in Georgiades way last night.

Our forward structure, as its been since probably 2018, is to kick it on the head of Dixon and hope that he either a) takes th e grab with 7 defenders hanging off him, or hope that one of our smalls picks the crumbs and snaps a goal from it.

It hasn't changed at all in that time. We saw Marshalls worth when Dixon was injured. If this is Charlie's last year, then we'll see what type of forward movement we have then.

When Dixon was out was the only time our forward structure was different in that time, where we seemed to clear the area and allow Marshall to be one out with an opponent, where he showed he was clever in his body positioning and was taking plenty of marks inside 50 because of it.

2 goals a game would be a minimum I’d want out of a full forward type player.
He’s seriously struggling something isn’t right.

If 1.4 goals 1.4 goal assists 6 score involvements 6.6 marks 11.4d is “seriously struggling” what on earth must you think of the rest of the leagues kfs.

Superstar Tom lynch is
2.0 goals 0.3 goal assists 5.7 score involvements 3.3 marks 9.4d

Superstar mx king
1.5 goals 1.3 goal assists 7 score involvements 5.8 marks 12.5d

There’s plenty of others.

And they’re not in our cluster* of a forward line

Also, from the TV

Jason Dunstall is one of the good ones, relatively.
Jason Dunstall was also frustrated and confused by our gameplan and forwards throughout the night.
Rucciuto wasn't as bad as normal, likely in a good mood cause the crows.

The long bomb was mentioned 739 times yet not one mention that this is Dullard Kenny’s known game plan

Mind boggling

If 1.4 goals 1.4 goal assists 6 score involvements 6.6 marks 11.4d is “seriously struggling” what on earth must you think of the rest of the leagues kfs.

Superstar Tom lynch is

Superstar mx king

In 5 games he’s kicked 7 goals, 4 of those against a depleted Richmond with zero against west coast and 1 in each of the other 3 games.
Dixon who if you go by our posters is totally shocking and shouldn’t be in the team.
He’s also crippled and can’t move.
He’s kicked 8 this year.

In 5 games he’s kicked 7 goals, 4 of those against a depleted Richmond with zero against west coast and 1 in each of the other 3 games.
Dixon who if you go by our posters is totally shocking and shouldn’t be in the team.
He’s also crippled and can’t move.
He’s kicked 8 this year.

1. Todds 1.4 goals a game isn’t nothing , there’s plenty of quality kfs averaging around that.

2. Todd isn’t a 1 dimensional kf, he’s absolutely elite in terms of vision and ball use and his 1.5 goal assists a game is elite for a kf.

He’s the top kf for goal assists in the league and most kfs aren’t even remotely close.

The sheer fact you’re bringing up Todd’s 0 goals against west coast shows how narrow minded you are about his game. He was one of our best that night.

3. Dixon is averaging more goals but we’re going through him a massive amount more.

If you give one fisherman 10kg of bait and they catch 3 fish, and another fisherman 1kg of bait and they catch 2 fish, the guy with 3 fish isn’t the better fisherman and the guy you should keep giving bait to and the guy with 2 fish isn’t the fisherman you should be worried about.

1. Todds 1.4 goals a game isn’t nothing , there’s plenty of quality kfs averaging around that.

2. Todd isn’t a 1 dimensional kf, he’s absolutely elite in terms of vision and ball use and his 1.5 goal assists a game is elite for a kf.

He’s the top kf for goal assists in the league and most kfs aren’t even remotely close.

The sheer fact you’re bringing up Todd’s 0 goals against west coast shows how narrow minded you are about his game. He was one of our best that night.

3. Dixon is averaging more goals but we’re going through him a massive amount more.

If you give one fisherman 10kg of bait and they catch 3 fish, and another fisherman 1kg of bait and they catch 2 fish, the guy with 3 fish isn’t the better fisherman and the guy you should keep giving bait to and the guy with 2 fish isn’t the fisherman you should be worried about.
I’m talking about this year and this year only.
I’m not knocking him this time I just believe he’s dropped off since the head knocks have been more prevalent.
In some ways I honestly believe for his health in later years he should give up footy.
Alright for us to want him to play and do well but in 40 years time that won’t mean sweet FA if he doesn’t know if he’s Arthur or Martha.

lol how many times did Fremantle actually go forward in the second half?

Jackson was collecting empty stats. Don't be like Ken and obsess over rucks having pointless possessions in the midfield like Teakle.

I want my ruck getting the ball to Houston/Rozee/Butters/JHF and being a tall marking option, which is what Sodo does.

If Marshall kicks 30-35 goals for the year, you take that.

Currently Todd is on target to kick 32 goals for the minor round whereas in 2022 he kicked 45. Thus far 4 of his 7 goals came in one game and this inconsistency is a concern.

The concussion thing is a valid point as he has not been the same since. Todd is getting as much of the ball as much as he did in 2022 but he is not converting.

Maybe Todd will start booting more goals as the season progresses- here is hoping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll freely admit that I severely underestimated Fremantle going into this season. With the departures of Schultz & Henry in the off season I just couldn’t see where the improvement would come from. But after watching them over the past fortnight, I’m confident they have the game plan & personnel that will hold up well in Finals.

They did an excellent job in denying us the corridor, which pressured us into making poor decisions time & time again. People can criticise Freo’s dour, defensive game style all they want, but when the big boys come out to play in September they aren’t going to offer us the red carpet through the middle of the ground.

I believe we now have the personnel to mount a serious challenge, but the system certainly isn’t there at the moment. Freo were more disciplined & better set up around the ball, & our forward entries are lamentable at best.

A good coach is adaptable & quick to change course when something isn’t working, if Ken has learned anything, Dixon should not be in the side. For every little cameo he offers, we lose ten fold in structure & forward entry efficiency. In fact, I’m sure he’s inadvertently the major contributing factor to Marshall’s poor form. I’d like to see a more mobile forward set up, that prioritises leading patterns over repeated chaos entries.

Finally, I don’t want to keep picking on the kid, but can we finally put a line through Jed. He was terribly exposed last night, which mirrored both his Finals appearances last year. He just has to go.
I’ll hold judgement on our performance against Freeo until I see a team like Gellong play them. Chris Scott to me anyway is quite tactical so let’s see how they go.

Our forward structure, as its been since probably 2018, is to kick it on the head of Dixon and hope that he either a) takes th e grab with 7 defenders hanging off him, or hope that one of our smalls picks the crumbs and snaps a goal from it.

It hasn't changed at all in that time. We saw Marshalls worth when Dixon was injured. If this is Charlie's last year, then we'll see what type of forward movement we have then.

When Dixon was out was the only time our forward structure was different in that time, where we seemed to clear the area and allow Marshall to be one out with an opponent, where he showed he was clever in his body positioning and was taking plenty of marks inside 50 because of it.

Ken likes brute over clever

Superstar Tom lynch is

Superstar mx king

Getting dangerously close to the only key forward metric that matters: Frontal Wow™

I rarely post on the oppositon boards.

Congrats on the win.

Saying that, I had a gut feeling freo were gonna lose a close one in Adelaide Again.

Sad freo lost to Carlton last week. made it worse as the umpires got carlton over the line.

I knew freo were gonna lose despite Brayshaw getting us a 9 or 10 point lead late in the final quarter. It was just a question on where 2 of Ports goals came from.

I rarely post on the oppositon boards.

Congrats on the win.

Saying that, I had a gut feeling freo were gonna lose a close one in Adelaide Again.

Sad freo lost to Carlton last week. made it worse as the umpires got carlton over the line.

I knew freo were gonna lose despite Brayshaw getting us a 9 or 10 point lead late in the final quarter. It was just a question on where 2 of Ports goals came from.
Close game but not necessarily a good spectacle.
Both weeks Walter’s has been down on form and he’s a big part of your avenue to goals.
The Carlton game you was robbed, possibly should have won the Port game but make sure you beat the Eagles👍

I'm confused as to why you would think that's a bad return for a second tall forward? they don't kick tons of goals anymore & he has the added burden of being second fiddle in the bomb to the beacon bollard Dixon forward structure.

Seriously if your second or third tall is popping up for 1 or 2 goals a game it's pretty much as good as it gets in the modern game. Three or four is a day out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back