Review Round 5, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the points about finals others have made, my main conclusion from last night is that we will again struggle against Adelaide if we play the same way.
We'll struggle against any team that either deny us the ball or slow down our transition. Doesn't mean we'll lose but increases the likelihood of losing.

The absolute hysteria about ‘protecting the head’, as Ben Dixon and Brad Johnson debate whether Zak Butters was really going for the ball when he might’ve clipped that Docker with his arse(?).
"We must rub this thug out of Saturday's game against Collingwood, just in case he tries to do something similar to one of their midfielders." 🥴

I was staggered to read criticisms of Soldo on here.

Was in my top 3. Comprehensively won the ruck, was handy around the ground and had two or three excellent goal saving efforts supporting team mates. Few really gutsy efforts as well.

We lost the clearances last night, if he didn't play, we would have had GWS in a final level of lost clearances and in turn lost the game by 5+ goals.

Outside of being monstered by Gawn, which he isn't the first or last ruckman to have that happen to, he's been a great pick up for us and is a huge upgrade on Lycett.

It's the last round of the season so who knows, could depend on what is on the line for both teams. All things being equal, they're going to be very tough to beat in Perth this year.
If there season is dead the fun and games will come out, some teams start earlier than others.
Players will start going into surgery to have things fixed up that they would normally play with if the season was still alive.

Good to win like that I reckon. Usually we don't. They choked us, came with a plan to stop us and we still got over the line. Very good win.

Freo's midfield is every bit as good as ours so for us to get over the line and for Butters, JHF and Wines to all stand up and have good last quarters when it matters was huge. Burgoyne was great, Bergman had his best game for the year and thought Farrell was massive in the second half. Just about his best game for the club.

Has Butters been reported ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jon Ralph said at half time it will be announced tonight, but unlikely to get done, but M Crouch will be offered 1 (if you care)

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll freely admit that I severely underestimated Fremantle going into this season. With the departures of Schultz & Henry in the off season I just couldn’t see where the improvement would come from. But after watching them over the past fortnight, I’m confident they have the game plan & personnel that will hold up well in Finals.

They did an excellent job in denying us the corridor, which pressured us into making poor decisions time & time again. People can criticise Freo’s dour, defensive game style all they want, but when the big boys come out to play in September they aren’t going to offer us the red carpet through the middle of the ground.

I believe we now have the personnel to mount a serious challenge, but the system certainly isn’t there at the moment. Freo were more disciplined & better set up around the ball, & our forward entries are lamentable at best.

A good coach is adaptable & quick to change course when something isn’t working, if Ken has learned anything, Dixon should not be in the side. For every little cameo he offers, we lose ten fold in structure & forward entry efficiency. In fact, I’m sure he’s inadvertently the major contributing factor to Marshall’s poor form. I’d like to see a more mobile forward set up, that prioritises leading patterns over repeated chaos entries.

Finally, I don’t want to keep picking on the kid, but can we finally put a line through Jed. He was terribly exposed last night, which mirrored both his Finals appearances last year. He just has to go.

I thought Rioli was our only really dangerous forward last night. Georgiades and Dixon had moments as did DBJ but we really lacked a four quarter dominant forward. Todd Marshall is becoming a real concern and if his form does not improve he may be the one to make way for Finlayson. Todd has booted just seven goals in five games this season with four of those against Richmond. After what appeared to be a breakout year in 2022 Todd's form has slipped.

Last night we booted nine goals in a game dominated by defence. Fortunately the opposition could not do any better. ,
I believe the drop off in Marshall has a lot to do with the concussions he’s had over time.
I’ve never been a big fan of his but the lad was starting to look good in 22 before he had a bad run with head knocks.

"We must rub this thug out of Saturday's game against Collingwood, just in case he tries to do something similar to one of their midfielders." 🥴
What I don’t get is normally former players stick up for the guy going for the ball in a legitimate way, the way we are taught, it’s normally the media gooses that carry on and want people rubbed out..

Dixon is a flog however Johnson was disappointing with his comments.

Because we have other options up forward and aren't solely relying on him kicking a winning score each week. Usually what we see is that when one of them is having a down day, someone else stands up and kicks a few. So long as they don't all have a down day at the same time then it isn't really a problem.

I'll happilly take 30-35 goals from all 4 of Todd, Dixon, MG and Fin.

Because we have other options up forward and aren't solely relying on him kicking a winning score each week. Usually what we see is that when one of them is having a down day, someone else stands up and kicks a few. So long as they don't all have a down day at the same time then it isn't really a problem.

I'll happilly take 30-35 goals from all 4 of Todd, Dixon, MG and Fin.

If they're all kicking 35 then happy days, but you wouldn't want him being the leading goal kicker.

I believe the drop off in Marshall has a lot to do with the concussions he’s had over time.
I’ve never been a big fan of his but the lad was starting to look good in 22 before he had a bad run with head knocks.
Concussion or not, he drops some of the easiest marks that he shouldn’t at least 2 times a week he gets his hands to a ball only to drop, until he takes those marks hes never going to be what we need him to be.

We’re has this idea that Todd has “dropped” off come from? Or that concussions are limiting him?

Referring to Todd’s 2022, where Dixon missed half the year? There’s the problem.

Anyone expecting Todd to kick 40-60 goals a year while we go to Dixon 20x more is being unrealistic.

He’s doing much more with far fewer opportunities than Dixon.

Also of note is that he’s far more effective the further away from Dixon he gets. Anytime he’s near Dixon he’s competing against his opponent, Charlie’s opponent , often a 3rd man up and Charlie himself.

It’s a catch 22.

Todd’s best football is away from Dixon, but we always kick it to Dixon.

Dixon also clearly got in Georgiades way last night.

2 goals a game would be a minimum I’d want out of a full forward type player.
He’s seriously struggling something isn’t right.

Is he our full forward? I wouldnt have thought so

We’re has this idea that Todd has “dropped” off come from? Or that concussions are limiting him?

Referring to Todd’s 2022, where Dixon missed half the year? There’s the problem.

Anyone expecting Todd to kick 40-60 goals a year while we go to Dixon 20x more is being unrealistic.

He’s doing much more with far fewer opportunities than Dixon.

Also of note is that he’s far more effective the further away from Dixon he gets. Anytime he’s near Dixon he’s competing against his opponent, Charlie’s opponent , often a 3rd man up and Charlie himself.

It’s a catch 22.

Todd’s best football is away from Dixon, but we always kick it to Dixon.

Dixon also clearly got in Georgiades way last night.
Have you watched him this year. He’s been ordinary and was ordinary last night.

His finish last year was the same(albeit he was injured).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back