Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

The one time we did manage to trade one in (Lake), he had a profound impact. I can't believe people here have been naively stating it was a good thing for us to miss out on Mackay! He has been one of the most impactful players for the bombers already!

I reckon the Hawks Bigfooty were 50/50 on Ben Mckay which was crazy chat.

It is a massive hole we needed to fill and became more obvious with Blanket going down.

Rewatching the third quarter now, the block kn Sicily that lead to Conways goal was absolutely criminal.
Teams are just assassinating him at this point.
Should be playing Phillips IMO - especially against sides with multiple big forwards - another big defender will make it more difficult for opposition to target Sicily…

Although by all reports Phillips was average in the VFL so may be a little while before we see this happen…

Last edited:
I was in N7. He had no options from where I could see. That said just kick it long to the outside wing.
They showed the footage from behind him later and there were only geelong jumpers down the line, 50 m away. Nothing but geelong. Still them having a kick from there is better than having a kick from within range.
If I were Sam Mitchell I would drag Ginnivan everytime he played for a free kick..
Instead of trying to dish out a handball or help his team in anyway, Ginnivan just goes to ground and prays for a free kick. Its actually detrimental to the Hawthorn forward line..
If he was just raising his opposite arm to shrug off a tackle, that would be fine, but his instinct 100% of the time, is to go to ground..
Would be true if true.

Of course the AFL don’t have different rules for particular players. Typical corporate response there. What they do have, is umpires basing decisions on particular players. I’d like to see Hawthorn come out asking specifically about what the afl plan to do about that.

Umpires clearly need psych help

Should be playing Phillips IMO - especially against sides with multiple big forwards - another big defender will make it more difficult for opposition to target Sicily…

Although by all reports Phillips was average in the VFL so may be a little while before we see this happen…

Not sure of size but Serong has been the standout

Being subbed so early doesn't bode well for him.
Perhaps he and Harry swap this week.
I know that he doesn’t have the fitness/endurance base yet but looks like a quality ball user which is something we desperately need. Looking at his stats he didn’t have much of the footy so could be dropped this week. Shame as he has great touch.

I commented on the Box Hill game day thread.
I was hoping for exactly the same, but once he dropped a mark he got even worse. Plays like he puts a massive amount of pressure on himself, and can’t put a mistake behind him.
Would hate to think how it would’ve looked in front of a big crowd on Easter Monday, coughing up goals on the last line of defense from dropping basic marks. No where to hide.

Thought Hustwaite looked very good, has a deft touch. Such quick hands and decision making. Looked to me like a player who stays in the team now.
Generally looks really good when he has the ball. Did mess up a couple of handballs that he wouldn’t usually do.

Needs to get himself more involved though. Looked a little hesitant on the weekend for mine.

Just went back and saw a replay of some of the decisions in this game - an absolute disgrace how this game was umpired - we were slaughtered…

The 1st quarter Brad Close just dives into Scrimshaws legs and gets given a free kick right in front… gave them a two goal lead and just handed them momentum…

Geelong were just shoving Sicily in the back all day and getting away with it… Ginnivan and Watson hit high so many times and not rewarded… staggering really…

We were absolutely smashed by 3 or 4 awful deliberate decisions… in really crucial match altering situations… particularly 3rd quarter when we were coming…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The play on advantage call after the second high tackle was called a free in a congested hawks f50

No player would take advantage in that situation but suspected no high tackles were being called.

Just went back and saw a replay of some of the decisions in this game - an absolute disgrace how this game was umpired - we were slaughtered…

The 1st quarter Brad Close just dives into Scrimshaws legs and gets given a free kick right in front…

We were absolutely destroyed by 3 or 4 deliberate decisions…

Don't even like to talk about umpiring.

Shades of 2001, only it was a middling early round game during a rebuild.

Kind of hard to fathom.

Move along though I guess, no sense dwelling on this. You wouldn't want to come up against them in a final though with that umpiring crew.

Reeves looks and plays like the nicest 7ft AFL player to have ever played.

Meek might not be the most coordinated player to play the game, but smashes his body in when it’s his turn and I will take that every day of the week with a struggling team.
That’s the thing though. He is massive and last year HE was looking and playing like the nicest brick sh!thouse in the AFL. This is why Reeves was our number one + his ability in the hitouts.

I’m happy he is now starting use his frame effectively. He will need to continue doing this and impacting around the ground or Reeves will find his spot in the side again.

I was happy with his game on the weekend albeit against a weaker opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back