New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be an abject disgrace if he went to NXT first. He should be at least in the semi-main of WM if he's coming in - and that's only cos the main events are locked in.

I've been watching Road to New Beginning tonight for Okada's last Korukuen show.

Nothing against them - I kinda like Umino in particular - but if this main event of Shooter vs Narita is a sign of what's to come post-Okada and post-Ospreay, I can probably unsubscribe for a little while. You couldn't possibly be invested in these guys as main eventers already.

Shits me seeing Okada retain a title before vacating it too. Although I guess with a trios match it's probably more a booking decision than a "not doing the job on your way out" decision, cos there were so many ways to do it if they wanted TMDK to win the titles.

Last edited:
Nothing against them - I kinda like Umino in particular - but if this main event of Shooter vs Narita is a sign of what's to come post-Okada and post-Ospreay, I can probably unsubscribe for a little while. You couldn't possibly be invested in these guys as main eventers already.
They main evented a minor show, doesn't mean they are top stars yet. They are still building.

Normally on these types of shows they'd have random 6, 8 or 10 man tags, or you might get a jr title match, never openweight match, or jr tag title match or whatever main eventing.

I figured they would work something out so he could do the Feb dates after his contract is up and attend the Rumble beforehand

I thought that too. It's crazy that people think a couple of weeks on a contract would stop WWE working out a deal with NJPW to be able to use him early. People talk about it as though it can't happen - of course it can if they want it to and they're prepared to strike a deal.

Road to New Beginning Feb 4th and 5th notes:
Feb 4th
EVIL spray painted the Never Openweight Title completely black, KENTA and Chase Owens stole the IWGP tag titles.
Great-O-Khan beat Alex Coughlin.
Connors and Moloney won the IWGP Jr Tag Titles from TJP and Akira in the main event.
Dave Finlay says the BC War Dogs vs United Empire cage match will be War Games Rules, 2 men start, 1 person gets in cage every 2 mins, BC War Dogs get man advantage.

Feb 5th
ELP and Hikuleo got their IWGP tag titles back.
In the main event there was some unique 5 on 5 gauntlet style singles matches, time limit draws means both get eliminated (LIJ beat Just 5 Guys), Naito and Sanada started the match and had a time limit draw, then Shingo beat Taka Michinoku, then Shingo had a time limit draw with Taichi, then Douki beat Bushi, then Hiromu Takahashi had a time limit draw with Douki, then Tsuji beat Yuya Uemura.
Then Tsuji challenged Uemura to a hair vs hair match in Sapporo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Beginning in Osaka notes:

Okada beat Tanahashi.
KENTA and Chase Owens won the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles from ELP and Hikuleo due to interference from Ishimori.
ZSJ beat Bryan Danielson. Excellent match. Backstage Danielson said they are 1-1, he wants a 2 out of 3 falls match on neutral ground.
Bullet Club War Dogs beat The United Empire in the 5 on 5 War Games style Steel Cage match in the main event. The cage was like a hell in a cell type fence around the outside of the ring but without a roof. Also included wrestlers bringing in all sorts of weapons, and the cage door was padlocked when everyone got in. Mid-match TJP also reappeared from under the ring with his mask. The ring got absolutely torn apart and destroyed. For a match like this to happen in a New Japan environment is quite frankly insane.
Ospreay post-match said he will return to New Japan one day. The crowd chanting Ospreay when his music played was a such a great moment.

New Beginning in Sapporo Feb 23 notes:

ZSJ beat Yuji Nagata.
Mayu Iwatani retained the IWGP Women's Title vs Mina Shirakawa.
SHO won the IWGP Jr Heavyweight title from El Desperado via a countout.
EVIL retained the Never Openweight Title vs Shota Umino.
Matt Riddle won the NJPW TV Title from Tanahashi.
Nic Nemeth won the IWGP Global Title from David Finlay in the main event. After Nemeth said he wants to tag with Tanahashi tomorrow.

New Beginning in Sapporo Feb 24 notes:

A Scapegoat Jack Perry video played.
Okada finished up with New Japan in a 10 man tag.
ELP and Hikuleo beat G.O.D. Jado was guest ref. Tama Tonga now gone.
Nic Nemeth and Taguchi beat David Finlay and Gedo. Nemeth after the match said he wants to defend his Global title at some point vs Tanahashi, and Tanahashi accepted.
Douki beat Hiromu Takahashi.
Taichi beat Shingo Takagi. Shingo must now delete his youtube channel.
Tsuji beat Yuya Uemura in a hair vs hair match.
Naito retained the IWGP World Title vs Sanada in the main event.

New Japan Cup Bracket:
GHPm29daQAAVlSg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back