New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

The patriot in me was pretty happy with the result of the NY Dash main event.

I went from thinking our compatriots were jobbers to thinking all 4 of the guys from the winning team are set for an upward swing this year.

We're getting ZSJ vs Bryan again too :p

New Year Dash notes:

Tanahashi retained the NJPW TV Title vs Taguchi. Matt Riddle promo aired challenging Tanahashi.
After ELP and Hikuleo's tag match, Chase Owens put out a challenge for the tag titles, and will tag with KENTA.
Shota Umino, Tama Tonga, El Desperado, Wato, Makabe, Honma beat the House of Torture in a 12 man tag. Then House of Torture beat down the faces and EVIL stole Tama Tonga's Never Openweight title.
United Empire vs Bullet Club War Dogs in a 10 man tag ended in a no contest after a massive brawl broke out. TJP did not wear the mask from yesterday. Ospreay said Feb 11th is his last NJPW date, and he wants a rematch, Bullet Club said it will be in a STEEL CAGE! Apparently the first one in 20 years?
Just 5 Guys beat LIJ in a 10 man tag.
Ishimori won the KOPW Title vs Great-O-Khan, Yoh and Yano in a 10 min 4 way scramble match.
TMDK beat Ishii, Okada, Mox and Danielson in an 8 man tag in the main event.

What a picture as well.

New Year Dash notes:

Tanahashi retained the NJPW TV Title vs Taguchi. Matt Riddle promo aired challenging Tanahashi.
After ELP and Hikuleo's tag match, Chase Owens put out a challenge for the tag titles, and will tag with KENTA.
Shota Umino, Tama Tonga, El Desperado, Wato, Makabe, Honma beat the House of Torture in a 12 man tag. Then House of Torture beat down the faces and EVIL stole Tama Tonga's Never Openweight title.
United Empire vs Bullet Club War Dogs in a 10 man tag ended in a no contest after a massive brawl broke out. TJP did not wear the mask from yesterday. Ospreay said Feb 11th is his last NJPW date, and he wants a rematch, Bullet Club said it will be in a STEEL CAGE! Apparently the first one in 20 years?
Just 5 Guys beat LIJ in a 10 man tag.
Ishimori won the KOPW Title vs Great-O-Khan, Yoh and Yano in a 10 min 4 way scramble match.
TMDK beat Ishii, Okada, Mox and Danielson in an 8 man tag in the main event.

What a picture as well.
Mox looks 38 going on 70.

NJPW Battle in the Valley, Sunday 14th January 2024, 2pm AEDT (main card)

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
  • No DQ match: Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi
  • AEW Continental Crown: Eddie Kingston defends against Gabe Kidd
  • Matt Riddle & a mystery partner vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Bad Dude Tito
  • NJPW Strong Women's Champion Giulia defends against Trish Adora
  • NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Champions Hikuleo & El Phantasmo defend against Clark Connors & Alex Coughlin
  • David Finlay vs. TJP
  • Volador Jr. & Mascara Dorada vs. Rocky Romero & Soberano Jr.
  • Shota Umino, Fred Rosser & Jacob Fatu vs. Tom Lawor, Jorel Nelson & Royce Isaacs
  • Kickoff match: Stephanie Vaquer vs. Viva Van
  • Kickoff match: Matt Vandagriff vs. Goldy

Finally got through Wrestle Kingdom... Overall, a very good night of wrestling, with Okada vs Bryan MOTN

They're seriously not going to push EVIL again, are they? Although, I guess someone has to be the requisite 1st challenger to stare at the lights.

Also, I thought Conrad Thompson's twin brother did alright on the English commentary!

It was a very old-school, Japanese style of show that they hoped would keep building and building throughout. I thought it made the first half of the show a bit of a chore.

I also don't have much time for any of the NJPW Strong or ex-WWE gaijin that they've brought in over the last 12 months.

They're seriously not going to push EVIL again, are they? Although, I guess someone has to be the requisite 1st challenger to stare at the lights.
I got no idea what they are doing with EVIL, first he wants a World Title shot, then a day later he's stealing the Never Openweight Title.

seems like Riddle will be having matches for them in Japan

He was on Dash the other day, Riddle vs Tanahashi is going to happen at some point.

Absolutely one of those gaijin they've brought in that I have no interest in seeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle in the Valley notes:

Shota Umino, Fred Rosser and Jacob Fatu beat Team Filthy. Jack Perry then attacked Umino after the match, then ripped up an AEW contract. He then put on an armband that said "Scapegoat".
David Finlay beat TJP.
ELP and Hikuleo retained the Strong Tag Titles vs Connors and Coughlin.
Giulia retained the Strong Women's Title vs Trish Adora.
Mustafa Ali video aired, and he challenged Hiromu Takahashi April 12th at Windy City Riot.
Riddle and (mystery partner) Jeff Cobb beat ZSJ and Bad Dude Tito. When Riddle came out first his name plate said Jeff Cobb lol.
Eddie Kingston vs Gabe Kidd for the Strong Title ended in a double-countout, and there was a pull apart brawl. Then Bullet Club ran in and beat down Kingston.
Mox beat Shingo in a NO DQ match. Great match. Then Mox on the mic said he wants a match with Naito.
Okada beat Will Ospreay in a great main event. After the match, Bullet Club ran in and attacked both guys, then Cobb, TJP and Eddie Kingston made the save.

Added to Windy City Riot.

That is beyond stunning. At 36yo though, and having been a little de-pushed over the last year, I guess it's the done thing to go and make more money working an easier style. Omega, Ibushi, Styles, Nakamura, Asuka to an extent... they're all good examples.

I don't see him being made a star in WWE, so hopefully he's going to AEW, but I'll be super interested either way.

That is beyond stunning. At 36yo though, and having been a little de-pushed over the last year, I guess it's the done thing to go and make more money working an easier style. Omega, Ibushi, Styles, Nakamura, Asuka to an extent... they're all good examples.

I don't see him being made a star in WWE, so hopefully he's going to AEW, but I'll be super interested either way.
the writing was on the wall when he filed to trademark the Rainmaker in the US.

IF he was going to AEW wouldn't he do both NJPW and AEW?

New Beginning in Nagoya notes:

Great-O-Khan won the KOPW Title from Ishimori in a match that had some time limit and fitness workouts involved, not even gonna bother explaining. There was a fan vote online for what stip it had, Great-O-Khan wanted a bullrope match and it lost.
ELP and Hikuleo retained the NJPW Strong Tag Titles vs KENTA and Chase Owens.
EVIL won the Never Openweight Title from Tama Tonga in a Lumberjack match in the main event after Ren Narita interfered by hitting Tama Tonga in the back of the head with some object. Tama Tonga then said thank you to everyone before leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back