WWE WrestleMania 40 (XL) Night 2 - Monday 8th April 2024 9am AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't worry about it. I have been putting up with condescending messages all day so another one telling me that I "don't understand how professional wrestling works" does no harm. It's all water off a ducks back.

I think it is important to remember that Rhodes only returned at WM two years ago. Do you believe that this was the plan since the start? I would disagree with that. I believe "finishing the story" only became a thing 1 year ago at WM where Triple H uttered the phrase at a press conference.

The ending is the thing I have a problem with. No other superstar had such a huge celebration after their match with family. Did Sami Zayn get that 10-20 minute segment? Nope and he is definitely more worthy of it.

How could they have ended ideally? Not make such a 10-20 minute fuss over a guy who went and started a rival company and mocked him with the throne. Just let him do a short celebration like everyone else got. Otherwise a debut or heel turn would be the better option. The over the top celebration at the end is the thing I had a problem with.

It doesn't matter what the plan was from the start.

Cody's story began long before Reigns title run did.

If you need to compartmentalise it to strictly this past 2 years, then overcoming the torn pec, winning back to back Rumbles and overcoming all the odds to vanquish the other 'royal family of wrestling' was brilliant in its own right.

Don't worry about it. I have been putting up with condescending messages all day so another one telling me that I "don't understand how professional wrestling works" does no harm. It's all water off a ducks back.

I think it is important to remember that Rhodes only returned at WM two years ago. Do you believe that this was the plan since the start? I would disagree with that. I believe "finishing the story" only became a thing 1 year ago at WM where Triple H uttered the phrase at a press conference.

The ending is the thing I have a problem with. No other superstar had such a huge celebration after their match with family. Did Sami Zayn get that 10-20 minute segment? Nope and he is definitely more worthy of it.

How could they have ended ideally? Not make such a 10-20 minute fuss over a guy who went and started a rival company and mocked him with the throne. Just let him do a short celebration like everyone else got. Otherwise a debut or heel turn would be the better option. The over the top celebration at the end is the thing I had a problem with.
I reckon there’s a huge ‘do the right thing’ decision being made here because of Dusty. The story is more than just Cody’s, it’s also Dusty’s story and the legacy he left. Part of the HHH era is clearly doing the right thing by legends and the business in general. They have a lot of work to do on their image after Vince and to become a good corporate citizen. Putting the belt on Cody makes complete sense from a business point of view.

I reckon there’s a huge ‘do the right thing’ decision being made here because of Dusty. The story is more than just Cody’s, it’s also Dusty’s story and the legacy he left. Part of the HHH era is clearly doing the right thing by legends and the business in general. They have a lot of work to do on their image after Vince and to become a good corporate citizen. Putting the belt on Cody makes complete sense from a business point of view.

Cody really has been the face of the company for 12 months.

People love him and he seems genuine good person who is the complete package in the ring.

Roman is the box office and after watching the Doco, I'm not sure he is built to just retire, Roman will reinvent himself and come back better then ever.

Throw in Punk, Drew, Seth, Lesnar, Gunther, Orton and Paul, The company is in an unbelievable position.

Everyone wanted to see him retire in WWE is all that was. In any case I wanted him in AEW to fight Christian one last time so was happy to see him go myself . I suspect he may come back to WWE for one last match however

One aspect that I think was dumb/wrong was AEW not letting Dustin Rhodes go ringside with Cody to celebrate. Competition aside, you need to have some class and respect, not necessarily to WWE but to the 2 guys in the ring. Got zero respect for the business if you block that from happening on both sides (so if WWE blocked it its also a dud move but doubt it and think it was a TK thing)
WWE wouldn’t even permit AEW to use archival footage of Sting in connection with his final match. There’s no way AEW should accommodate a contracted wrestler showing up on WWE TV.

AEW also allows their active wrestlers to be filmed on WWE shows like the Hall of Fame (like Buddy Matthews). Meanwhile, WWE won’t even allow their guys under Legends contracts to be depicted on AEW TV.

WWE wouldn’t even permit AEW to use archival footage of Sting in connection with his final match. There’s no way AEW should accommodate a contracted wrestler showing up on WWE TV.

AEW also allows their active wrestlers to be filmed on WWE shows like the Hall of Fame (like Buddy Matthews). Meanwhile, WWE won’t even allow their guys under Legends contracts to be depicted on AEW TV.
Both points wrong, but go on.

"Sting's Retirement: AEW Didn't Even Ask WWE For Permission To Use Archival Footage"

"RVD Got WWE's Permission to Wrestle in AEW"

Last edited:

During Cody's montage before the main event they showed pics of him with The Bucks and Kenny, though they may have been his own personal pic..

Both points wrong, but go on.

"Sting's Retirement: AEW Didn't Even Ask WWE For Permission To Use Archival Footage"

"RVD Got WWE's Permission to Wrestle in AEW"

Luger, who is currently under a WWE Legends deal, spoke on Busted Open Radio this week and revealed that WWE allowed him to attend the event, but they asked him not to appear on camera.

Luger: That crowd was phenomenal; they stayed hot, they were lit for the match. I was so excited. They got us out there so we could kind of soak in the atmosphere.

DDP: Off-camera, off-camera. We didn’t want to be on camera, yeah.

Luger: WWE is classy. They said you can go and everything, just don’t be on camera, interviewed, or be part of the match.

Both tables got a good working over, over the two nights.. and it wasnt until the final match that they broke.. wonder if that was planned ??
Rock went through the main one on night 1 didn't he?
Did they both get taken out night 2? I can picture the commentary awkwardly standing in the backgound for one of the main events but I can't remember which

I actually think eventually we will get some crossover, especially with Vince gone. The companies are quite different and appeal to different types of fans, it's not like WCW where it's a very similar show being put on. With the internet and social media I hardly think there's going to be some giant shift if Dustin shows up to hug Cody or Bayley is shown in the crowd at an AEW show etc.

internet having a big ol' melt about Meltzer not giving Cody-Roman 5, like it really matters... :rolleyes:

WWE WrestleMania XL, Saturday
Becky Lynch vs. Rhea Ripley: 4.25
Tag Titles Ladder match: 4.25
Andrade & Rey vs. Dominik & Santos: 3.75
Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso: 0.75
Belair, Cargill & Naomi vs. Damage CTRL: 2
Gunther vs. Sami Zayn: 4.5
Reigns & The Rock vs. Rhodes & Rollins: 4

WWE WrestleMania XL, Sunday

Drew McIntyre vs. Seth Rollins: 3.5
AOP & Karrion Kross vs. Bobby Lashley & Street Profits: 1.75
AJ Styles vs. LA Knight: 3.5
Kevin Owens vs. Logan Paul vs. Randy Orton: 4.25
Bayley vs. IYO SKY: 4.5
Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns: 4.75 (Dave said he debated 5 due to the story/spectacle)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

internet having a big ol' melt about Meltzer not giving Cody-Roman 5, like it really matters... :rolleyes:

Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns: 4.75 (Dave said he debated 5 due to the story/spectacle)

Reckon he marked Drew/Seth a smidge low, but can understand as the match was short, but otherwise pretty fair.

I'm no fan of his, and thought some recent takes have been way off the mark, but he is both pretty open that it's just his opinion and also he has a pretty defined taste.

Despite 90% of the dirtsheets that are clout chasers, he at least believe what he says.

Doubt any Roman match ever deserves 5, the spectacle carried it.

4.75 is high for that match in my opinion.

There is only one wrestler across the board who should be getting 4.75-5 star matches and it isn’t any of those two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back