News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

His face is caught in a funny moment with a look more like disgust than sadness. I don't think anyone is trying to say that we should take the ANZACs and their hardship and sacrifice lightly or are making Nelson feel less for his reflection.

Jeepers
I also doubt that many of the Diggers would have been upset by a little gallows humour.

Which many of the modern Anzac services fail to do, it's all about mythologising the Anzacs, painting them as courageous heroes sent to bring peace, not scared children dying alone for another nation's pointless posturing. Trying to draw in even more pointless conflicts under its umbrella, like Iraq and Afghanistan. I've been to Gallipoli, it's pretty grim. If you stopped for even a second to imagine yourself at 18 trying to climb that hill, knowing you're gonna die, it'd make you cry.

The transportation by Ships would have been slow and miserable too ..
Seasickness, homesick missing family and the boredom ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I spoke to my grandad about the war once as he was a gunner on a World War II destroyer, and the s**t he told me in 10 minutes was enough to give me nightmares. The thing is he wasn’t even trying to upset me. I don’t know how those guys slept at night after the things they went through.
One of mine was in Changi prison in Singapore for several years during the war. One of those skeletons you see in photos walking around. Busted eardrum from a guards rifle butt. The stuff they went through was horrendous. Took him years to recover and he never really talked about it other than to tell us about one of the Aussie prisoners (he was a Pom) who could fart tunes to entertain the prisoners... We all need a talent.

One of mine was in Changi prison in Singapore for several years during the war. One of those skeletons you see in photos walking around. Busted eardrum from a guards rifle butt. The stuff they went through was horrendous. Took him years to recover and he never really talked about it other than to tell us about one of the Aussie prisoners (he was a Pom) who could fart tunes to entertain the prisoners... We all need a talent.
I recommend the book hells heroes by roger maynard, has changi prison in it. Also if you get the chance go to the museum there its amazing

I spoke to my grandad about the war once as he was a gunner on a World War II destroyer, and the s**t he told me in 10 minutes was enough to give me nightmares. The thing is he wasn’t even trying to upset me. I don’t know how those guys slept at night after the things they went through.
My father didn't like to talk about the WW2 much but he used to love seeing his m8's at the dawn service then later at the march.

Many couldn’t. I visited an old uncle in a rehab hospital. He was ill and in short term, another was in since ww2. Said it was ok but the screaming at night was terrible. ADF s’side is an ongoing problem today.

Which many of the modern Anzac services fail to do, it's all about mythologising the Anzacs, painting them as courageous heroes sent to bring peace, not scared children dying alone for another nation's pointless posturing. Trying to draw in even more pointless conflicts under its umbrella, like Iraq and Afghanistan. I've been to Gallipoli, it's pretty grim. If you stopped for even a second to imagine yourself at 18 trying to climb that hill, knowing you're gonna die, it'd make you cry.
They also had to deal with disease - many died from dysentery, typhoid and the spanish flu also...and to have to blindly follow orders still being governed by outmoded military tactics. 'I want you ro run up that hill into a wall of machine gun fire...'
The following is a quote from an article relating to the Spanish Flu back then, the Gallipoli myth (of Aussies laughing in the face of death)

" In the realm of national consciousness Gallipoli had forged unity and identity through its projection of a character type. But national character is a poor base upon which to advance a State apparatus capable of generating patriotism sufficient to over-ride regional, class and religious loyalties. In 1915, an external menace had driven Australians together; by 1919, an internal danger (Spanish Flu) revealed yet again how easy it was for Australians to stand apart. If national unity involved loyalty to the Commonwealth as an administrative machine, the Pandemic showed how little of it there was.. "

Curiously, we saw this repeated in the recent Covid Pandemic when many Aussies lost their marbles over toilet paper and were reduced to fighting amongst themselves, like a rabble, in supermart aisles...how thin is the social veneer and 'Aussie Mateship' and how quickly we and our myths fall apart? (Unlike the indigenous myths and stories that have been going for 40-70,000 years, even though we've tried on numerous occasions to rip apart their social fabric- just saying). But yes, nonetheless we should remember the poor souls who gave up their lives in many wars on the understanding of protecting their/our country. (certainly this was the case in fighting the Japanese in New Guinea etc)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The transportation by Ships would have been slow and miserable too ..
Seasickness, homesick missing family and the boredom ..

Also no phone reception so they wouldn't have been able to log onto Bigfooty to kill the time.

I do think the bright colours of the Eagles gear did stand out a bit but at least they weren't in the Mascot costume.

Damien Barrett sliding doors.

IF
West Coast win away against the Gold Coast despite resting Harley,
THEN
Somehow it will still be because of him, and the spirit he put into 23 other blokes, and not the youth of being a few years into our rebuild.
BUT
If they lose i think it's time to start up tanking chat or some other BS over reaction.

IF ...​

the G-Train was a very good Eagles player before becoming a great at the Saints ...

THEN ...​

here comes the lookalike J-Train. Fraser Gehrig. Jake Waterman. The former being the second-last player to kick 100 goals in a season, the latter being the one who has booted 11 in the past two weeks to help this mighty club finally feel good about itself again. Loving Waterman's emergence, particularly after his debilitating illness of last year.

holy s**t managed to not bring it up (harley).
im shocked i say, SHOCKED.

I think seeing Waterman doing so well after his illness is genuinely one of the best footy stories going around. I’ve been on and off in Jake’s talent. Over the last couple years I’ve gone off him being an undersized kpf but last two weeks he was able to get on top some decent key back. A break out year this year were he could kick 50 not only helpf this young side going forward but also helps oscar out in the coming years

They made a decent point on SEN earlier. The argument was that resting Harley is basically the fault of the AFL due to WCE having one less bye than some other teams who played on Opening Round. And if the AFL wanted to keep milking their hype train they should have made the fixture more equitable for us.

They made a decent point on SEN earlier. The argument was that resting Harley is basically the fault of the AFL due to WCE having one less bye than some other teams who played on Opening Round. And if the AFL wanted to keep milking their hype train they should have made the fixture more equitable for us.

To be fair it was only Dwayne dribbling out what just came into the echo chamber of his skull… Gerard and Kane were in no hurry to agree to a conspiracy theory like that.

This article says Reid was due a rest after testing by WC. The fixture hasn't been kind in terms of playing so many games away (including a pre season game in Adelaide) but I don't think it's completely down to the AFL. Reid is still a first year player and plays at a high intensity and in the guts.

Good management really. Ginbey was probably pushed too hard last year and paid the price. A fitter squad gives us a chance to treat first year players as they should be treated.

IMG_1736.JPG

First 10-12 minutes of this pod is

Hamish brayshaw reads out an open letter he penned to the afl based around rules and tribunal findings. Amazing stuff.

I think seeing Waterman doing so well after his illness is genuinely one of the best footy stories going around. I’ve been on and off in Jake’s talent. Over the last couple years I’ve gone off him being an undersized kpf but last two weeks he was able to get on top some decent key back. A break out year this year were he could kick 50 not only helpf this young side going forward but also helps oscar out in the coming years
If he keeps developing Oscar might find it hard to break back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back