News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality highlights reel for our defence

Real intelligent piece of play by Hough at 0:40.

He's tracking Walters who slips over with the ball and instead of going to ground with him and trying to tackle, he keeps his feet and runs to where Walters was shaping to handball and intercepts the pill.

You might say that Walters could have just stood up and run off with it, but I'm guessing Hough could see Chesser was coming in and could tackle Walters if he did that.

David Zaharakis was interesting to listen to on the Podcast with Jay Clark yesterday. Talking about how North will find it hard to retain players and mentioned you need to sell them hope.

He went on to say that he received a significant offer from WCE at the end of 2017 but opted to stay at Essendon because they'd come out of the drugs saga and club had promised them the world, in regards to selling them hope.

Said he was majorly pissed off the next year when WCE won the flag and he could've played with Shuey, lol.
Was he a free agent? Otherwise we could really have cooked that 2017 draft. If he was going for a second rounder, that means one of Ryan or Allen is not on our list.

I think he, rightfully, has been extremely critical of us because we’ve been a basket case for the last few years

Whateley is a weasel.

That puts him substantially toward the top of the food chain in a footy media environment populated with toads, grubs and amoeba

David Zaharakis was interesting to listen to on the Podcast with Jay Clark yesterday. Talking about how North will find it hard to retain players and mentioned you need to sell them hope.

He went on to say that he received a significant offer from WCE at the end of 2017 but opted to stay at Essendon because they'd come out of the drugs saga and club had promised them the world, in regards to selling them hope.

Said he was majorly pissed off the next year when WCE won the spoon and he could've played with Shuey, lol.
I knew things were bad, but they haven't stripped us of our flag have they?
That ol' codger Robert Walls got his way at last.

Anyone collated a list of post goal songs for different players?
I Defiantly noticed Jakes "Chelsea Dagger"
Which players have made a solid choice, and who doesn't have the good karaoke nights.

Stumbled across these graphs on Twitter. Extracted from a North supporter blog page but they might be of interest - they’re based on % of game time played by age

Our youngsters as a group only play less game time than Hawthorn and North who both lack much in the older age group

View attachment 1968254
View attachment 1968253View attachment 1968255View attachment 1968256
I think the take away from that Keys is that it reinforces the fact that we don’t need to go only to the draft. It’s the 23-28 group that needs strengthening.

Anyone collated a list of post goal songs for different players?
I Defiantly noticed Jakes "Chelsea Dagger"
Which players have made a solid choice, and who doesn't have the good karaoke nights.

Snake should be Salt n Pepa's "Whatta Man"

EDIT: whatta man, water man.... ICYMI

Last edited:
Stumbled across these graphs on Twitter. Extracted from a North supporter blog page but they might be of interest - they’re based on % of game time played by age

Our youngsters as a group only play less game time than Hawthorn and North who both lack much in the older age group
1713878188131.png

View attachment 1968256

The biggest take away i get from this is, our experience it right up there with what AFL pundits consider premiership favourites. And its the group of 23 and 28 that really firms the playing list but highlights how big this gap is for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Barrett sliding doors.

IF
West Coast win away against the Gold Coast despite resting Harley,
THEN
Somehow it will still be because of him, and the spirit he put into 23 other blokes, and not the youth of being a few years into our rebuild.
BUT
If they lose i think it's time to start up tanking chat or some other BS over reaction.

Some good insights there from Judd sprinkled in between Barrett's painful article. I've pulled out Judd's words below if anyone wants to skip the Barrett noise:

"I don't want this to come across as me inserting myself into his story, and I'm only speaking here because you pleaded, and before we get started my advice for him would be to not listen to people like me!" Judd told AFL.com.au. "There will be a truckload of noise happening there."

"If I'm to park the advice to the side for a moment, he is going brilliantly," Judd said. "As a footy fan, he is just great to watch. Nick Daicos was one who burst onto the scene and felt dominant from the start, and Harley looks like that too, albeit in a different way, I mean I can't remember a player coming in …

"Nick was really dominant, through leg speed and running capacity and amazing ball use. Harley's strength at such a young age is very unique and really exciting. I am enjoying it. I assume and am hoping that he is too."

"It is a pretty similar story for all AFL players entering the system, not just guys who go interstate," Judd said. "(Harley) was going to go and live away from home, wherever he went. There are a lot of different things going on when you are drafted. You've just finished school, it's your first year out of school, there are a heap of life milestones happening all at once.

"But when you're playing really good footy in an AFL system, and the whole state has got your back, it is a nice place to be."

"That footy team as a whole is starting to look much better," Judd said. "Elliot Yeo's form – I've been amazed how well he has played. He has been a brilliant player, and I can't remember him playing better than what he's done this year.

"It's amazing how quickly it can change, isn't it? It's not dissimilar to other areas of life. Invariably when there is seemingly no one left who thinks something can be any good, that is usually pretty close to the turning point. That doesn't mean they're about to play finals, but it does look like the turning point is in.

"I did have a TV, I wasn't a Mormon, but we didn't have free-to-air at one stage, and I don't think we had the footy subscription on Foxtel, either," Judd said.

"It was a simpler time. But yeah, I was able to block it out. It is a pressure cooker over there. When things are going well, it naturally feels pretty good. When things start to go pear-shaped, it can often pay to have some strategy in place.

"It's actually very important when things go a bit pear-shaped. You need to start planning for that when the going is good."
"And yeah, (Harley) is a big part of that, definitely. Winning games. When you are down the bottom of the ladder, or near the bottom, if you're able to win some games and be competitive, internally that feels better, because it helps the story that you are telling, that is an up-curve. I'd imagine they are pretty excited at the minute."

"He looks justifiably exciting, but it's early in the season, and most players in their first season will have a quiet patch, and I remember being bored of footy for a patch in my first year," Judd said.

"I am sure there are different things he will go through this year."

INTEREST GROWS FOR LDU

North Melbourne midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to come out of contract at the end of 2025 and Clark believes he will become the games “most sought-after player” next year.

The former Dandenong Stingray will become a restricted free agent and Clark says St Kilda, Essendon and Adelaide are among the clubs who could “throw the kitchen sink” at the Roos jet.

These are the same three teams that bring in two new players from other clubs every year. How do they keep managing to have freed up salary cap for this?

These are the same three teams that bring in two new players from other clubs every year. How do they keep managing to have freed up salary cap for this?
They are also clubs who are stuck in no man's land.

Build through draft and trade in cheap bargains who can play a role within the team. That's the recipe for success imo.

Its his prerogative and unfortunately it wont change much like the victorian media landscape.

It would be a dream of mine to have Norf/Saints fold and probably Essendon/Dogs merge + another interstate team to broaden Aussie rules in general so it isnt so Vic Centric with basically half the comp in one town.
Yes to folding saints and bulldogs.

But bit harsh on essendon, whom despite thier mediocrity always have one of the highest avg attendances every year (and a big interstate following). Yeah they are a bunch of dogs, but they are a big club with a loyal fan base. They are never going to merge or fold with anyone.

Melbourne are actually the weakest of the big traditional melb clubs, by a long way
(Even in thier windows they have crowds well below Carlton, ess, tigers, pies and are barely outdoing hawks)

They also keep bleeding players too: D'Ambrosio and ZBT from Essendon, Billings and Gresham from St Kilda, Doodee and McAdam from Adelaide just last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back