List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

Any unconfirmed players for 2018 for your mob? Given we've got a PSD pick, I'm trying to scramble to see if we're taking a player who has delisted himself after the draft.

You all seem to be unclear on Nyhius and Strnadica, who would be able to eject themselves into the PSD by rejecting a contract offer.

I'd say our first pick next year will be KP back or forward

Haven't we been saying that for 15 years though? So far it's only happened twice I can think of - Apeness and Marcus Drum.

Haven't we been saying that for 15 years though? So far it's only happened twice I can think of - Apeness and Marcus Drum.
First pick will be best available like always
This is all true, but hopefully the projected tall talent doesn't fall off the face of the cliff like it has in 2016 (Marshall) and 2017 (Brander, Hayes). A bit more high end KPP talent going into 2018. Lukosius and both Kings means we are a fair chance at a KPP with a top 6 pick if they put together good draft years. Especially with Rankine a shoe in for a top 3 slot.

I think it's clear now that our strategy is always best available with our first pick, and then attempt to address particular needs with the more speculative later picks.

Was Brayshaw best available?

I think he was in the top bunch and there may not be a lot separating them, but I think there was not some other factor outside of pure footballing ability that had him taken ahead of LDU, Cerra, Dow, Fogarty and Stephenson.

Looking at our list and positionally placing them We seem okay for back up across most positions except full back if Hamling goes down. Im presuming Johnson/Pearce/Cox for CHB. We let Collins (back) go and drafted Dixon (forward).

Looking at our list and positionally placing them We seem okay for back up across most positions except full back if Hamling goes down. Im presuming Johnson/Pearce/Cox for CHB. We let Collins (back) go and drafted Dixon (forward).
Don't forget Logue. He played on numerous KPF this season.

Yeah he'd get monstered by any KPFs, WAY too skinny.

Not sure it is his thing anyway.
I personally don't see it, I think he's a third tall if not an outright winger, however his buddy wayToGo_ believes he's a KPP so I defer to his opinion on this one. He's watched him a hell of a lot more than I have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally don't see it, I think he's a third tall if not an outright winger, however his buddy wayToGo_ believes he's a KPP so I defer to his opinion on this one. He's watched him a hell of a lot more than I have
Nah (don't think that was me) he's classified as a KPD but he played plenty on the wing due to his speed at Peel this year - his height marking in the middle of the ground was useful. So either third tall back, half back or winger. He's pretty versatile so am intrigued how they'll develop him this year with us adding so many midfielders.

A fit Pearce is so valuable for us as he can play fb chb and kpf in my opinion. His speed, extra height and reach makes him able to cover most opposing forward options. Hope he is shaping up well at training.

Not sure with Logue being able to cover all opponents as a full back just yet but this year he may well go up another level.

Some of our warriors have already commented on the main board, but this I thought others might be interested in this list profile analysis:

441134_1a9a2ada0e0460f9eb3362166a7d7d38.jpeg

We have the most over 30's but we expect 3 or 4 of them to figure only for Peel this year - quite an unusual scenario.

We're relying on great development to come from that 21-24 bracket but I really think we have relatively hidden gems in the under 21s at the moment - of course they still need to fully realise that potential.

We're relying on great development to come from that 21-24 bracket but I really think we have relatively hidden gems in the under 21s at the moment - of course they still need to fully realise that potential.[/QUOTE]

Interesting Statistic. Wonder what 2016/17 figures were like so as to compare (eg Sydney Bulldogs and Tigers). The "in the Zone" age - I would like to see the average age across the finals campaign only of the sides who made prelims the last 4-5 years. May tell a different story re age 25-29.

So I did some quick analysis of our list today to see why we are all so upbeat about our prospects. I am sure some of this will be debated but just loosely categorising players I got:

A - Premiership ready: 13 - Fyfe, Neale, Hill x 2, Hamling, Bennell, Wilson, Ryan, Blakely, Walters, Matera, Sandi, Mundy
B - Shown AFL potential: 12 - Cox, Logue, Hughes, Pearce, McCarthy, Kersten, Sheridan, Darcy, Taberner, Langdon, Tucker, Sutcliffe
C - Unknown, past it or not up to it: 19 - Everyone else

So looks to me like we have 13 blokes who could step onto the MCG tomorrow for a GF and not look out of place. We have another 12 who have at some point displayed enough to suggest they might build to that point. Then we have around half the list who are either on their last legs or haven't shown anything yet (even if it is because they only just got drafted).

Keen to see how this dynamic changes over 2018. Like to see Tucker, Cam, Pearce, Hughes, Tabs and 1 of Sutty or Sherro join the list A. Cox and Logue I think need at least 1 more year before getting there although would not be surprised to see Cox on there. Expecting Andy, Cez and Crow to join list B and probably fairly soon. North and Dixon might too if they get an opportunity but theirs may not come straight away.

TLDR: I think we are right on the cusp of being good again IF we can keep our lists A and B on the park.

Is that a first re a first year newly drafted player before even playing a game for the club?
Nah pretty common, Logue did it just last year, was also part of the reason why Cam didn't come back home in 2015 (he originally would have been out of contract then, but signed an extension prior to playing a game in early 2014)

Nah pretty common, Logue did it just last year, was also part of the reason why Cam didn't come back home in 2015 (he originally would have been out of contract then, but signed an extension prior to playing a game in early 2014)

would the offer be out to a few others too do you think, Cerra maybe?

So I did some quick analysis of our list today to see why we are all so upbeat about our prospects. I am sure some of this will be debated but just loosely categorising players I got:

A - Premiership ready: 13 - Fyfe, Neale, Hill x 2, Hamling, Bennell, Wilson, Ryan, Blakely, Walters, Matera, Sandi, Mundy
B - Shown AFL potential: 12 - Cox, Logue, Hughes, Pearce, McCarthy, Kersten, Sheridan, Darcy, Taberner, Langdon, Tucker, Sutcliffe
C - Unknown, past it or not up to it: 19 - Everyone else

TLDR: I think we are right on the cusp of being good again IF we can keep our lists A and B on the park.

Good topic - I would probably include in the A - Sheridan (already experienced GF), Sutcliffe and Kersten re experience and nouse. Matera and Ryan though talented would be B still. Bennell while no Finals experience probably thumbs up if gets a full year in. Having players with Finals experience is invaluable in the side. My thoughts anyway.

Good topic - I would probably include in the A - Sheridan (already experienced GF), Sutcliffe and Kersten re experience and nouse. Matera and Ryan though talented would be B still. Bennell while no Finals experience probably thumbs up if gets a full year in. Having players with Finals experience is invaluable in the side. My thoughts anyway.
Agree finals experience is valuable and we have that with Fyfe, Neale, Hills, Walters and Wilson. Don't need to carry players just for that reason.

Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Kersten have not proven consistent ability. They have all shown glimpses but I certainly wouldn't feel confident with them playing in a GF for Freo (at this stage). Luke and Brandon have shown the ability to impact games. Matera's biggest problem to date in his career would be being fit to take the field.

I also ask you to find someone anywhere that would rather see T.Sheridan instead of L.Ryan named at half back in any game let alone a GF. Ryan is flatout a better player IMO.

FTR, I don't hate Sherro and Sutty and hope they come on. At the very least I think they would make very solid 32-35th players on our list.

I have Sheridan, Sutcliffe and perhaps Kirsten in the C list but have the usual high but unfounded levels of confidence that they can be replaced on the A or B lists by blokes like Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon or others from the recent draft (assumes a 30% strike rate).

One other issue is the one or two season window left for Sandi/Mundy. Their positions will be covered but it takes the total pool of 25 down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back