Review Fremantle Contest Another Game In South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that it was a total gimme, but Serong missing that shot at the end kind of sums up his finishing ability right now.
That’s probably a W if he sinks that.
Serong played his socks off all game and has done just about every week. If anyone could be said to be carrying the team it's probably him. Yes, if he got that we probably win. But when you've played the entire match full tilt like he has it's remarkable that he was even in that position at that stage of the game.

Port are a top team and we ran them so close. I don't think it boils down to just one of our players in the dying stages. As many have said many times, we are a couple of true forwards away from more wins. Given that, it speaks well for Freo's gritty attitude that the team has had 3 good wins and two very close losses.

We need more talent on the field to be higher up the ladder but the boys are doing a great job as a team with what they've got. Well done Freo.

Serong played his socks off all game and has done just about every week. If anyone could be said to be carrying the team it's probably him. Yes, if he got that we probably win. But when you've played the entire match full tilt like he has it's remarkable that he was even in that position at that stage of the game.

Port are a top team and we ran them so close. I don't think it boils down to just one of our players in the dying stages. As many have said many times, we are a couple of true forwards away from more wins. Given that, it speaks well for Freo's gritty attitude that the team has had 3 good wins and two very close losses.

We need more talent on the field to be higher up the ladder but the boys are doing a great job as a team with what they've got. Well done Freo.
both things can be true with serong though, played great as always, but there's a bit of an elephant in the room is that he probably needs to become better in front of goal, both in frequency of having shots and his conversion when he does

both things can be true with serong though, played great as always, but there's a bit of an elephant in the room is that he probably needs to become better in front of goal, both in frequency of having shots and his conversion when he does
I reckon when it clicks it’s gonna be epic

He’s too good not to be able to kick goals .

Off the top of my head and without referring to stats out of Brayshaw and Serong, I think usually Brayshaw still scores more goals..could be wrong

Although Brayshaw snapping around the corner won't make it past 20m lol

Only watched the game in full now and it’s another painful defeat.
Few moments where mistakes were made in the clutch seconds late in the game again this week.
Assume it’s been mentioned already but a particularly annoying one was the restart after the touched behind with 4 min left.

Luke Ryan did what he always does and kicked long to the wing. Correct thing to do in that moment. I think it was Treacy and LJ who allowed Miles bloody Bergman take an easy mark between both of them and kick straight back in where Charlie Dixon marks and scores.
The two boys were good for us but that will be in the review tape for sure today. If that ball comes to ground and there’s a ball up, we win, I’m sure of it.
I really hope the boys are learning from these late game scenarios against top opposition. Walker was caught out ball watching on JHF too later in the play for the final goal but it was a tough spot to be in for him to be fair.

Midfield was superb and Pearce and Ryan were outstanding again.
Have banged on for long enough about our forwards on here especially the small and medium ones - they are simply not good enough for where we want and need to get to and there is simply no way we are going to go to Victoria and the MCG in the next 4 or 5 years with emmett, Banfield, Switta and Walters (current version) and win finals. At least two of those need to be upgraded. Put whatever it takes for the games elite small forwards and get them here by hook or by crook in the off season.

Finally for crying out loud can Chappy come in for Hughes please, immediately?

We are trending in the right direction overall though and need to win the next 2 to get to 5-2 for the season and right back in the frame.

Few moments where mistakes were made in the clutch seconds late in the game again this week.
Assume it’s been mentioned already but a particularly annoying one was the restart after the touched behind with 4 min left.

Luke Ryan did what he always does and kicked long to the wing. Correct thing to do in that moment. I think it was Treacy and LJ who allowed Miles bloody Bergman take an easy mark between both of them and kick straight back in where Charlie Dixon marks and scores.
The two boys were good for us but that will be in the review tape for sure today. If that ball comes to ground and there’s a ball up, we win, I’m sure of it.
I really hope the boys are learning from these late game scenarios against top opposition. Walker was caught out ball watching on JHF too later in the play for the final goal but it was a tough spot to be in for him to be fair.

Have banged on for long enough about our forwards on here especially the small and medium ones - they are simply not good enough for where we want and need to get to and there is simply no way we are going to go to Victoria and the MCG in the next 4 or 5 years with emmett, Banfield, Switta and Walters (current version) and win finals. At least two of those need to be upgraded. Put whatever it takes for the games elite small forwards and get them here by hook or by crook in the off season.

We are trending in the right direction overall though and need to win the next 2 to get to 5-2 for the season and right back in the frame.
At worst we should be able to rest some of the mids forward to pinch a goal?
Get Serong forward and maybe rotates with Simpson at times.
Don’t bother with Fyfe though, that’s done and dusted.
At least with this we can change up the midfield and maybe have the more X factor
players on the park for the last 5mins of the game.
If Chapman does comeback I’d still find a role for Draper, and even trial him as a
medium forward.
Draper has the agility, below the knees to add something different.
Delean is also projecting well, has some tricks and knows at least where the goals are.
Midfield has definitely improved with Young and Fyfe, but Fyfe is on borrowed time.
Walters as the sub, or even just played at home could give us something in September?

At worst we should be able to rest some of the mids forward to pinch a goal?
Get Serong forward and maybe rotates with Simpson at times.
Don’t bother with Fyfe though, that’s done and dusted.
At least with this we can change up the midfield and maybe have the more X factor
players on the park for the last 5mins of the game.
If Chapman does comeback I’d still find a role for Draper, and even trial him as a
medium forward.
Draper has the agility, below the knees to add something different.
Delean is also projecting well, has some tricks and knows at least where the goals are.
Midfield has definitely improved with Young and Fyfe, but Fyfe is on borrowed time.
Walters as the sub, or even just played at home could give us something in September?

Great line, I like it a lot.

I reckon when it clicks it’s gonna be epic

He’s too good not to be able to kick goals .
Generally been my thought - remember his GOTY contender? But I wonder if he is so taken up with fast-forwarding the team he can’t slow down enough. Or something.

The opportunity for Liam Baker to be one of those upgrades is right there for us. Doesn't have the goal tally after playing most of his career at half back but he is a natural forward (and gun player in general), he should be a higher priority for us than bringing in another KPF in McDonald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still topped the votes in a match we lost

Port Adelaide v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
6 Luke Ryan (FRE)
5 Dan Houston (PORT)
4 Josh Treacy (FRE)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)

Lol is this pic real or juxtaposed editing..
Looks like a giant manhandling a child..if so Dixon should be reported to MRO lolDixon isD

He's a very scary looking unit - that's what worries me about bringing some of our young guys up against Geelong (they have even more)

still topped the votes in a match we lost

Port Adelaide v Fremantle​

10 Alex Pearce (FRE)
6 Luke Ryan (FRE)
5 Dan Houston (PORT)
4 Josh Treacy (FRE)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Caleb Serong (FRE)
Was Houston that great for them as footy show Nathan gave him top votes.

Can't say I pay too much too oppo players unless they really stand out lol

Sheesh. A bit rough on Brayshaw. He was my pick of the mids. He did some enormous things in the middle. Sure Serong had more of it, and slightly bettered Brayshaw in the clearances but pretty much every one of Andy's was hard earned (14 CP from 18 disposals, and they had more impact overall: 8 score involvements (most on ground) compared to Serong's 5. Plus Brayshaw put one of his shots on gaols through the opening that counts.

Sheesh. A bit rough on Brayshaw. He was my pick of the mids. He did some enormous things in the middle. Sure Serong had more of it, and slightly bettered Brayshaw in the clearances but pretty much every one of Andy's was hard earned (14 CP from 18 disposals, and they had more impact overall: 8 score involvements (most on ground) compared to Serong's 5. Plus Brayshaw put one of his shots on gaols through the opening that counts.
Brayshaw sometimes looked like he was lacking the same confidence we are used to. He will be fired up for the derby. Is Gaff playing?

Like I said 9 goals and we leave the door ajar.
Erasmus as sub is just dumb. He is a nervous starter.
No small/medium talls or even trying to fix that forward line.
Sure we can make finals and bow straight out.
I will quote this again...

I would love freo to make finals in 2024, even if its 7th or 8th spot and an away elim final.

Would be epic if we get 5th or 6th again and get a home elim final win too.

Purple Jesus you got issues with my post? I know you want that elusive flag. We all do.

Well... You need to be realistic.

As it stands out current squad is capable of making finals.

We don't have enough prime players to be capable of getting the flag .... Yet.

I want finals at a bare minimum this season.

Flag would be epic if we get one between 2025-29.

Purple Jesus you got issues with my post? I know you want that elusive flag. We all do.

Well... You need to be realistic.

As it stands out current squad is capable of making finals.

We don't have enough prime players to be capable of getting the flag .... Yet.

I want finals at a bare minimum this season.

Flag would be epic if we get one between 2025-29.
Why not us, why not now, I know given our age demographic it’s not likely but the pies of 2010 were younger.

It’s Laidley. She’s got no idea and I don’t think watches our game, or if she does, with an eye closed and wine in hand.

IMO Serong is probably the type to stay back hours after training practicing goal kicking after a bad miss. Absolute student of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back