No Oppo Supporters Fremantle Do Not Contest A Game In Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo fans: tonight hurts but at least be courteous to each other while venting.

Oppostion fans or anyone out to have a crack: don't post here. You will get banned and you will get points.

My nuteral mate was all over it.
Yelling at the tv.
Me I'm de sensitised.
It reminded of the old days when Eagles absolutely cleaned up the free kicks.
🤐😭
Conspiracy theorist in me was wondering if it was the VAFL saying “ f*k you Freo for whinging about the umpiring in Adelaide, back in your box “!

That was my sons first Western Derby, and despite being 2 months old he was definitely watching and interested. I am very concerned he was supporting West Coast however as he was smiling despite the drubbing we were getting...

Seriously considering letting him just support my wife's team, Port Adelaide, so he doesn't have to suffer the lifelong misery of being a Freo fan particularly in WA having to deal with West Coast supporters. He is actually a Port member already (FIL bought him membership) so I can save some money too.

Is it really worth it to even follow AFL or should I just get him into a different sport altogether? Serious
ice hockey imo
best live sport ever
as for footy, port powder puffs or us?
poor kid
at least my son had the choice of supporting Freo or sleeping outside

Just sobered up.

Embarrassed by a few - but the heat really needs to be put on the following players.

• Michael Walters - it's over.
  • Andy Brayshaw - he is bullied off the ball too often, too easily and has limited hurt factor with his possessions - he slows us down.
  • Erasmus - just doesn't want it.
  • James Aish - how do you play a game and have no contested possessions and no tackles, WTF were you doing out there?
  • Luke Ryan - runs his mouth and dyes his air, looks overweight, didn't lay a tackle - was lead up on time and time again and had two contested posessions - truly embarrassing performance.

Everyone looking at the bottom tier to hang out to dry - reality is, our "senior players" in the above group, bar Erasmus, were utterly disgraceful and quite frankly - weak.
can’t really agree with that. Luke Ryan was AA previous two weeks.
We have seen it before when we lose the contested possession, have massive turnovers count and they win the intercepts. I think the backline is going to struggle.

All this players you mentioned were down for sure.
But something was off and Michael Walters should be of been a managed player this season not its over , retire(which may well be the best thing ending season)

Look at the scoreboard, time on the clock, and positioning of our defenders. This is atrocious. The ball lands in the goal square and Harley Reid takes a contested mark. Hughes turns his back to the flight of the ball to run back towards goal, loses sight of the ball, and subsequently the trajectory of the ball, his spoil is ineffective as he’s misjudged the landing spot of the ball by 1-2m. Sharp is at least watching the ball, flies and is nudged under the ball by Reid with a clever knee to protect the ball drop zone. Hughes positioning is inconceivable. Sharp despite being much much further away makes up the ground before the ball hits the ground. Luke Ryan is protecting the lead up space.

Johnson is in no man’s land. Clark(?) trailing his opponent a lot probably sucked Hughes out of position. I think it’s Clark charging back. Completely disorganized mess.

7 of our players inside defensive 50m and none within 5m of the two deepest Eagles players.

Our defenders are grossly overrated.

Attachments

• IMG_5057.png
    IMG_5057.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
Stats reflect facts.

We could have mitigated some of that.

We ran Jackson and Treacy into the ground and in retrospect Reidy getting a game mat have been a good investment.

Our management of Erasmus deserves questioning.

We have other players we can roll into the midfield (I like that we rested Fyfe), but seem locked into a best 22 and a fixed midfield set up. Maybe that needs some rethinking.

Aesthetically I'm not enjoying our game style, unless we win. My main criticism is that with players like Clark, Walker, Aish, Sharp, Jackson, Frederick, Brayshaw, Switkowski etc it doesn't feel like the right glove for that hand. And it is killing our scoring opportunities.
I like your posts.

Agree on Erasmus, I thought it would have been best to develop him from the start at half forward and gradually build him into midfield. Like Rozee. Granted he doesn’t have the same pace but I think it would of been the way for him.

Totally agree in why we never play the back up ruck. Proven last year we gassed Jackson which had the knock on effect of dragging Tracey away for longer periods from the forward line.
You don’t have to win taps to win clearances.

When we have those players in the side you mentioned it seems like a fast break style would suit. We tried the Richmond style a bit a while back , hand balling forward, not backwards or sideways.

We also had a good game style first two games so what happened ?

Honestly remove 2022 and since 2016 it’s been 8 years of some of the worst footy you’ll see. Nothing as statistically bad as 1.7 13, technically, but we kicked 2 goals vs the Eagles that one time, conceded 20 goals in a row in Geelong, been smashed regularly putting up 5 goals or less. At least we turned it around the very next year after 2009 and played great exciting footy in 2010.

Ever since 2016 it’s been dour, awful, losing football that bleeds one year into the next with only false dawns and no real sign of change.
that game we kicked 2 goals vs the eagles was the late derby in 2019. Kicked 2.19.31. half of those were rushed behinds. the other half were misses. Had we kicked 5 or 6 goals that night, it wouldnt of been as bad. still a massive thrashing regardless.

I wished we made finals in 2021, even if it was 8th spot. Back to back finals in 2021-22 would of been sweet to look back on post Ross Lyon coachng era.

We’ve played enough good footy and the midfield good enough for last night to be a scheduled off night for the backline and midfield. I’m not ignoring the first 5 weeks of footy because we put in one stinker. The midfield beat two top 4 midfields the last two games - away.

But the gigantic glaring problem is that we can’t make finals while the forward line is this bad. Switta needs to be our 6th/7th best forward, not 3rd/4th
I agree...

I look at freos forward line of 2012-5.

Pav was 192 cm and our full forward. Chris Mayne is 187 cm and CHF. Ballantyne and Walters were the forward pockets. Random mids were filling in the forward flanks.

You look at the current forward line.... Taberner or Luke Jackson can play full forward at 198 cm each. Amiss and Traecy can play full forward too, both can play CHF.

Sam Sturt is the me a weird one. the bloke is 190 cm. Not strong enough to play FF. Can thrive as a 2nd tall at CHF or 3rd tall on a forward flank.

Walters, Switkowski and Frederick can play as small forwards. Emmett is 186 cm medium tall too that can play forward pocket.

Emmett and Sturt are the only ones that are proper medium forwards.

Dockers won their last final with the likes of Jye Amiss, Bailey Banfield, Sam Switkowski and michael frederick in a forward line.

Last 4 games we've kicked totals in the 60s - just not good enough. It doesn't look as bad because we took Carlton and Port to the brink and Adelaide only managed 34 points, but we are going nowhere with those types of scores.

First week looked incredible against Brisbane nearly kicked a tonne - but that's cos our talls combined for 9 goals, a few from our smalls and midfielders - same for the next week against Norf.

Understandably Amiss is only in his second season proper and Treacy is a work in progress - our smalls really aren't reliable except to bob up for the odd goal.

I'm not worried long term about the midfield/defence except that we lack mongrel as others have pointed out - we need some malice in the middle and in not sure where it's going to come from.

Season has still started semi-positively but we need big changes personnel wise to get the right player set for a flag tilt.
I agree with oyur views on this.

I said many times last year and year before last year we are a medium scoring side. I said on a good day freo will score 11-14 goals a game.

I dont think averaging 12 goals a game is impossible. 4 goals from the talls, 4 from the smalls, 4 from the mids. that would be the average

I think the criticism of Erasmus is unfair, he's 20 years old for God sake, barely made a dent into his football career, how can you expect a player to improve when they're playing barely 20 minutes of football a game on average as the sub? This was his first full game this year.
Absolutely, he needs to play as a forward/mid. Not the sub. Not as only a mid.
Maybe send Emmett back to Peel
Bringing Neil into the mid rotations isn’t working or there is no spot for him.
Instruct him to play defensive forward, and tell him does he really want an AFL
career?
Get him to watch Crowley’s highlights and how he hit the gym hard, etc.
This guy needs instructing on how to be menacing, work harder on his weaknesses.
If it’s pace off the mark, get a coach, etc, he needs another 5kg at least on that
frame.
Forget about that time trial stuff, he is never playing wing.
If he is a sponge and has a good tutor, attitude he will make it.

I think there is no chance he will be dropped.
But you cannot deny he’s one of the worst kicks of the footy on the list and blokes like that hurt a team that has expectations of becoming a serious contender.
He’s a good regular for a bottom 6 team in the AFL (maybe that is our true level)
Aish is a solid kick. Playing on a spot in the back 50 is a tough position on the ground.

Stats reflect facts.

We could have mitigated some of that.

We ran Jackson and Treacy into the ground and in retrospect Reidy getting a game mat have been a good investment.

Our management of Erasmus deserves questioning.

We have other players we can roll into the midfield (I like that we rested Fyfe), but seem locked into a best 22 and a fixed midfield set up. Maybe that needs some rethinking.

Aesthetically I'm not enjoying our game style, unless we win. My main criticism is that with players like Clark, Walker, Aish, Sharp, Jackson, Frederick, Brayshaw, Switkowski etc it doesn't feel like the right glove for that hand. And it is killing our scoring opportunities.
I agree with this.

Reidy or even Knobel should of got a game as a back up ruck. Let one of them ruck 50 or 60 percent of the game and Tracey and Jackson pinch hit the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one went to Reid to let him know he's in the big league.

No close body work, no bone crunching tackles, no chatter, nothing.

That is pissweak, you can guarantee that if we had a highly rated draft pick playing their first derby they'd have known about it.

That is pissweak, you can guarantee that if we had a highly rated draft pick playing their first derby they'd have known about it.
Serong tried but failed , then just got frustrated and played poorly

I think it’s going to be a different story next Derby
Can see Reid getting a few not so gentle reminders to pull his head in

Why we need more Voss. Can we get some more Villains ffs. Someone who wants to hurt.

We were not expecting an ambush.
But you can guarantee Shuey had a hand in our demise.
We gave them little credit but I think they have had this game penciled in for awhile.
Take out about 4 goals from dubious free kicks, it’s closer than expected.
But they still would have won a close one.
Probably a reality check for us, it certainly highlights numerous issues.
You have pointed out a serious flaw, that lack of aggression or direction both
On and off the field.
Have we really improved since Carr left?
Let’s hope they get a few of the old boys back to the club for the next derby
show a few highlights and bring some passion back to the brand instead of
Freo lite.

We were not expecting an ambush.
But you can guarantee Shuey had a hand in our demise.
We gave them little credit but I think they have had this game penciled in for awhile.
Take out about 4 goals from dubious free kicks, it’s closer than expected.
But they still would have won a close one.
Probably a reality check for us, it certainly highlights numerous issues.
You have pointed out a serious flaw, that lack of aggression or direction both
On and off the field.
Have we really improved since Carr left?
Let’s hope they get a few of the old boys back to the club for the next derby
show a few highlights and bring some passion back to the brand instead of
Freo lite.
We have too many nice guys. Voss, Emmet and Treacy the only ones who want to hurt. It’s not enough. Even though he’s a twig atm I reckon Davies looks like a bad ass. Typical red head bully ‘probably when he was in primary school.

We need to recruit a star FP that’s a given, but we need to get some established hardmen.

Look at the scoreboard, time on the clock, and positioning of our defenders. This is atrocious. The ball lands in the goal square and Harley Reid takes a contested mark. Hughes turns his back to the flight of the ball to run back towards goal, loses sight of the ball, and subsequently the trajectory of the ball, his spoil is ineffective as he’s misjudged the landing spot of the ball by 1-2m. Sharp is at least watching the ball, flies and is nudged under the ball by Reid with a clever knee to protect the ball drop zone. Hughes positioning is inconceivable. Sharp despite being much much further away makes up the ground before the ball hits the ground. Luke Ryan is protecting the lead up space.

Johnson is in no man’s land. Clark(?) trailing his opponent a lot probably sucked Hughes out of position. I think it’s Clark charging back. Completely disorganized mess.

7 of our players inside defensive 50m and none within 5m of the two deepest Eagles players.

Our defenders are grossly overrated.
Great post. That first mark by Reid in the goal square was really critical to their momentum. We had a lot play in the lead up but just refused to do anything constructive with the football.

It goes down the other end and we couldn't stop a mid sized midfielder taking a big pack mark in the goalsquare.

That's when I knew we just weren't up for the contest. We had no appetite for it. We didn't want it. We weren't prepared to do whatever it would take to win.

We "would have liked" to win. But we didn't "want" to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back