Classic Wrestling Thread (60s 70s 80s 90s 00s)

Remove this Banner Ad

I still watch this at least every 6 months or so, despite knowing what we know about Savage now, and the fact that his whole matches were more like a pre-determined dance than a match that responds to the crowd.

I have a hard time deciding on favourite matches ever, cos wrestling is so different, it has so many eras. I'm pretty sure this would be my fave WWF match of the 80s though, and probably my favourite 1980s match not involving Ric Flair.

Savage vs Dynamite Kid at the classic is another good one to watch. I think that was just Savage being a perfectionist. Heard that DDP was the same.

A bit late now but surely we need to acknowledge the passing of the Iron Sheik. A massive part of the WWF's expansion - he was all over TV when the WWF debuted here (including some legendary ads on TV). His action figures were everywhere. He was on plenty of the WWF swapcards (numbers 2 in the Scanlens set after Hogan). He was probably on the down side of his career but his promos were brilliant and he could still carve out a decent tag match with Volkoff. Most people wouldn't have realised he'd actually wrestled in Australia for World Championship Wrestling as Ali Vaziri and got a mid card push as a face. One of my all time faves. Thanks for the memories

(Log in to remove this ad.)

26 years ago. still a great moment!

This was huge at the time, I completely marked out! From memory, it was during Sting's hiatus? When Luger and Giant were the top faces?

Though knowing about Hogan's creative control now, am really surprised it happened. Submitting AND dropping the title. Must've been a pretty penny in it for him...

This was huge at the time, I completely marked out! From memory, it was during Sting's hiatus? When Luger and Giant were the top faces?

Though knowing about Hogan's creative control now, am really surprised it happened. Submitting AND dropping the title. Must've been a pretty penny in it for him...
yes, Giant had turned face late 96/early 97 (had the title shot at the 1st Souled Out ppv). Luger had narrowly lost the battle royal at Uncensored to the nWo. Sting was still on and off in the rafters.

the rumour from back in the day was that Luger's contract had a World title reign clause, so apparently this was it.

Watching fall brawl 99 at the moment.
Hilariouslythe WWE has blurred out a sign that says:
Worst
Wrestling
Federation but they've only blurred out the "wwf" of the sign

Anyway, onto the show. Talk about a botch in the ddp vs Goldberg match.
Ddp going for the hidden brass knucks signals to the ref what he's going to do, ref simply walks away and looks over the ropes. Commentary says "the ref was distracted by... I'm not sure what"

Watching fall brawl 99 at the moment.
Hilariouslythe WWE has blurred out a sign that says:
Worst
Wrestling
Federation but they've only blurred out the "wwf" of the sign

Anyway, onto the show. Talk about a botch in the ddp vs Goldberg match.
Ddp going for the hidden brass knucks signals to the ref what he's going to do, ref simply walks away and looks over the ropes. Commentary says "the ref was distracted by... I'm not sure what"
It really is kind of amazing WCW took as long as they did to run most fans off. Horribly booked and or performed ppvs since early 97 except for cruiserweights and some mid card stuff.

Oh, and every big boot was referred to as "the big foot" and camera angles were so bad it showed each one missed by 10m
It really is kind of amazing WCW took as long as they did to run most fans off. Horribly booked and or performed ppvs since early 97 except for cruiserweights and some mid card stuff.

Matches were terrible, but the stories were great.
It was literally the southparking wrestling ep

Happy 30th anniversary, Shockmaster!

The reactions from the wrestlers are priceless

Sid - "I told ya" (supposedly pointed there was a good chance poor old Shockmaster would trip over the piece of wood at the bottom of the set

Flair - "Oh my God"

Davey Boy - "He fell on his fookin arse"

Booker T - "Who is this MF?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back