2nds 2016 Adelaide Crows SANFL season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be better placed defensibly without using a high Pick, We will know in 10 weeks just how good Keath at 196 is. Ottens is also playing well getting close to his best form, Unsure of his speed if he get a run in the middle. But he has a football brain, Bit of a worry about Shaw, Hope he back soon could be the difference along with Otten and Keath in how many Mids we get in the trade/draft.

Otten back will help. Still think we need to "buy" a key defender.

Otten back will help. Still think we need to "buy" a key defender.
Bit of a quandary, I am Hoping Keath stand up, that will allow us to push for Mids as I see that as a huge weakness in 3-4 years, We have a young Forward and Back line but look at the age of Arguably some of best 12 mids Players that get selected, and there form dropping Of aswell, ie VB, Thommo, Douglas, MacKay, Henderson, We need to replace these guys, yes we have some that can but not enough how many A graders. ( and I am not saying those all older player are A graders but lets look at replacing them with ones)
Watching the SANFL we don't have too many A grade mids coming thru appart from those already playing or resting, Possible A Graders that played Sat, Of course Brad, Greenwood, Gore at times, Menzel, Doedee (if he plays a Mid role), Cupboard is bare. And most of these are 1 to 2 years away. We need to get that 2-4 year group in there from the Draft or Trade for now another story.

Fact Thommo was always going to get a 1 year contract for 2016 not matter what happen with Dangerfield, In fact he had the contract if front of him before Danger notified the Club of his intentions. Definatly not a stop gap measure.
And you will find after the AFLPA negotiations are finished and Brad and JJ have signed, then a 1 year deal will be announced for Thommo, It will be his choice if he sign or not.
Now based on this you are either close to the club or close to Scott Thompson. More power to you and your Facts. But it is my opinion Thompson will NOT be given another 1 year contract. As much as I am comfortable sitting middle of the ladder I think this is ONE decision that should NOT be made.

Now based on this you are either close to the club or close to Scott Thompson. More power to you and your Facts. But it is my opinion Thompson will NOT be given another 1 year contract. As much as I am comfortable sitting middle of the ladder I think this is ONE decision that should NOT be made.
No inside knowledge or close to Thommo, Base my reasoning on several facts.
Name 5 inside midfielders at the Crows better, Failing that name 5 that have the potential to better than him in 2017.
Note any coach worth his salt plays the best players, So how many will get a game before him in 2016 and how does that change in 2017. Then think of the value he adds as a senior player in that role
In order for a younger player to get selected in front of him they have to be better, In order to get better they need to improve, take it to the next level.
Now how many A grade inside mids player can the Crows get thru Draft and Trade. 1 to 2 max.
If you want to be middle of the road for the next 6 years then by all means dump him now, But his value in helping up and coming Inside mids and forcing them to play better to overtake him cannot be brought by wishful thinking,
Unless they have better players he will be offered a contract his choice.

The one person we need to get rid off IMO is Campo. This tool has been in charge of a midfield for years and they are not listening to him. The youngsters are sent back to the SANFL to wallow in there while the old plodders keep on getting games. Time to tell him to stick to building houses. Campo hates CEY for some reason. Grigg and to a lesser extent Lyons, I can see the reason why. Lack of speed but Lyons has shown he has footy nous and that covers a lot of sins. Bring in Kelly, CEY and Doedee and Wigg this week and tell them to use their skills. I'm sick of watching the plodders go missing when the whips are cracking.

No inside knowledge or close to Thommo, Base my reasoning on several facts.
Name 5 inside midfielders at the Crows better, Failing that name 5 that have the potential to better than him in 2017.
Potential is hard to quantify. The cliff is steep.

Note any coach worth his salt plays the best players, So how many will get a game before him in 2016 and how does that change in 2017. Then think of the value he adds as a senior player in that role
No doubt his value as a senior player is high.

If you want to be middle of the road for the next 6 years then by all means dump him now,
And I made this point in my reply. I think we are accepting a MOR position if we DO play him. I am happy to back the young guys in , and if it means we take a hit and fall then so be it. We certainly wont RISE in 2017 with him
But his value in helping up and coming Inside mids and forcing them to play better to overtake him cannot be brought by wishful thinking,
Unless they have better players he will be offered a contract his choice.
1st part he can coach and still do this. 2nd part he is not doing that now so what will change?

The one person we need to get rid off IMO is Campo. This tool has been in charge of a midfield for years and they are not listening to him. The youngsters are sent back to the SANFL to wallow in there while the old plodders keep on getting games. Time to tell him to stick to building houses. Campo hates CEY for some reason. Grigg and to a lesser extent Lyons, I can see the reason why. Lack of speed but Lyons has shown he has footy nous and that covers a lot of sins. Bring in Kelly, CEY and Doedee and Wigg this week and tell them to use their skills. I'm sick of watching the plodders go missing when the whips are cracking.

Exactly, the sooner we can get Campo out of there, the better.
And Thommo is struggling again, his last three weeks have been poor, it will be interesting to see if he can respond against GWS. But I definately don't want to see him playing again next year.
And lets hope it's VB's last year too.
These guys have had 10 years at the club to do something and they have taken us no where.

Exactly, the sooner we can get Campo out of there, the better.
And Thommo is struggling again, his last three weeks have been poor, it will be interesting to see if he can respond against GWS. But I definately don't want to see him playing again next year.
And lets hope it's VB's last year too.
These guys have had 10 years at the club to do something and they have taken us no where.
Now you've gone too far with your Thommo hate.....

It's not Thommo's fault we've not achieved a whole lot over the last decade, far from it!!

Up until this year Thommo has carried a whole lot of our players on his broad back, the man has been a standout and an absolute shining light through some really tough times, just look at his Brownlow voting history for evidence of that, leading our player count easily every year until Dangerfield started to really emerge over the last couple of years , even then Thommo has continued to poll significantly.

Sure lay some blame on a lot of people around the club for our lack of real success but none of that blame lays at Thommo's feet...None, nada, nix.

The man has put his body on the line and worked his guts out for the AFC for over a decade and sure he's struggling a bit the last few weeks but he hasn't been Robinson Crusoe there, if any current player deserves respect for his efforts at the AFC it's Thommo.

Now you've gone too far with your Thommo hate.....

It's not Thommo's fault we've not achieved a whole lot over the last decade, far from it!!

Up until this year Thommo has carried a whole lot of our players on his broad back, the man has been a standout and an absolute shining light through some really tough times, just look at his Brownlow voting history for evidence of that, leading our player count easily every year until Dangerfield started to really emerge over the last couple of years , even then Thommo has continued to poll significantly.

Sure lay some blame on a lot of people around the club for our lack of real success but none of that blame lays at Thommo's feet...None, nada, nix.

The man has put his body on the line and worked his guts out for the AFC for over a decade and sure he's struggling a bit the last few weeks but he hasn't been Robinson Crusoe there, if any current player deserves respect for his efforts at the AFC it's Thommo.

I don't hate Thommo at all. Like you say, he has been a warrior for a long time for us.
But I don't think relying on him at this stage of his career is the right thing to do.
Are you hoping Thommo goes around again next year ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UkNJhWa.png

OTrDBqe.png

I don't hate Thommo at all. Like you say, he has been a warrior for a long time for us.
But I don't think relying on him at this stage of his career is the right thing to do.
Are you hoping Thommo goes around again next year ?

That's not what you said in your previous post though...

"These guys have had 10 years at the club to do something and they have taken us no where."

That's the bit I highlighted and commented on, I thought it was out of order for someone that has given so much to our club....

And no I probably don't think he'll go around next year but I'm prepared to see how his season pans out before putting the line through him....I figure he deserves at least that much.

And I made this point in my reply. I think we are accepting a MOR position if we DO play him. I am happy to back the young guys in , and if it means we take a hit and fall then so be it. We certainly wont RISE in 2017 with him

1st part he can coach and still do this. 2nd part he is not doing that now so what will change?

So you are willing to delist/drop one of Crows best 25 for ??
Weigh up the pro and cons you will be surprised
At the best you have a top 10 AFL Player, At the worst you get a Top 30 or injured.
And at this time there is not 5 Midfielders in the side better than Thommo, and next year that will may not improve enough to force him out.
As for taking a hit
What do they gain if they delist him 1 pick What do they gain if its his choice Loyalty from the team and if he stays one more year of leadership in one of the hardest position to play, by one of the hardest player the Crows have had. The younger player get see what it takes to get to his level. Yes a coach can tell you that but to see it first hand you cannot pay for that.
Above all you select the best side, you select the best players, a List of 44 has room for 1 or 2 older players that can preform, The Crows do not have a list full of older players they do have some 24 plus old players not good enough move them on before Thommo.
And if you want a team to play Finals and win finals learn to win and keep winning. Top teams have that blend of age and stars.

They will need Thommo for 15 games next year. Or at least until 4-5 mids pass him in ability. Do we have 4-5 mids better than him.

Are we planning to finish 8th next year too?

Are we planning to finish 8th next year too?
No next year we should be looking at top 6 min. 1 More pre season under Pyke, More games into the young players, just starting to get into group of games where teams start to perform well. good blend of new and old, still waiting on 2 new mids from the 2016 draft. Looking good.
Oh I forgot Matt Crouch and Atkins taking over from Thommo relegating him to number 3 inside mid. and 5th best mid in the side. behind Sloane, Crouch x 2 Atkins, with Milera and Cameron close behind him overtaking him in the finals.

So you are willing to delist/drop one of Crows best 25 for ??
Weigh up the pro and cons you will be surprised
Yes I would. I have. The AFC are very good to their older players and that is credit to them. But he will turn 34 before the next season starts. Now the current profile suggests , with management , players are now better able to step around this age hurdle that had players finish at 30/31. But unless he is happy to Captain the SANFL side , with occasional break glass games at AFL level , then yes I would delist him. Its not that I don't like Thompson but I think its time the AFC invested time in other players.

The rest of your arguments are fine and balanced. Its good we still have 14-18 ;) games to see who is right :)

Yes I would. I have. The AFC are very good to their older players and that is credit to them. But he will turn 34 before the next season starts. Now the current profile suggests , with management , players are now better able to step around this age hurdle that had players finish at 30/31. But unless he is happy to Captain the SANFL side , with occasional break glass games at AFL level , then yes I would delist him. Its not that I don't like Thompson but I think its time the AFC invested time in other players.

The rest of your arguments are fine and balanced. Its good we still have 14-18 ;) games to see who is right :)

I would still wait until later in the season, If and when he has a break he come back strong and fit dominate for 4-5 games then rested dominates again, you would seriously look at next year, lets wait,
I believe he will sign on again unless he cops an injury. Play 15 games and retire end of 2017 leaving the Crows in a stronger position and better for it. and with 5 mids playing better football than him a couple not far of the pace and 1 to 2 new guys close too if not 1 year away from being A grade. and giving the Crows a chance in 2017. and contenders in 2018
One thing about Thommo he a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back