• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what it means for the future of the SANFL, the Crows annual licence fee and TV rights are based on Port and Crows being involved (as they attract the most ratings) which keeps clubs like West and South Adelaide surviving.

The Sanfl has got its priorities wrong on this and made too many demands of the AFL clubs reserves teams with the stipulations of being seen to win every game. Which made developing young players in certain positions almost impossible.

I'm not sure the Sanfl is prepared for the player losses. I think that will be a shock. Especially with players in that 20yo to 25yo bracket who are studying and havent yet established families lr careers. They may be very easy to entice on a contract to audition for AFL football. Which lets face it, a reserves league will contain some of the best non afl listed players in the country.

Every footy competition has a Black & White team colours ......I hope the SANFL introduces another Club, utilizing the Black & White Colours

Port will be furious, as it slams the door on them coming back, if a National Reserves Comp fails .....only reason it will, is the $$$$

Every footy competition has a Black & White team colours ......I hope the SANFL introduces another Club, utilizing the Black & White Colours

Port will be furious, as it slams the door on them coming back, if a National Reserves Comp fails .....only reason it will, is the $$$$
Maybe a team from out Ethelton way?

green and white from memory. Port districts I thought was black and white vertical stripes, like Collingwood.
Both very nice Clubs to play .....hospitable, and always put on scones & a cuppa tea .....yeah, and my mother wore boots

I was at Rosewater for 13s and 15s, west Croydon were the worst we played. 17s I was at pooraka and ingle farm the worst.
I was an Edwardstown player .....SAFA ...so we played all over the Adelaide region

I agree re Pooraka & Ingle Farm ...they had quite the reputation

Norwood is Port’s main rival then probably Sturt. Not many Sturt connections at Collingwood apart from Brodie Grundy and Phil Carman off the top of my head.
The Seacliff Hotel is a good pub for the GF, bit closer to you. Not sure if they do any GF stuff but The Victory Hotel at Sellicks Hill is spectacular as are the beaches, wineries and breweries south of Pt Noarlunga.
Gods country down there.
I was thinking Ports main rival was Norwood then Glenelg and Sturt tied 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just make Mount Barker go black and white and bring them in.

Most SANFL players want to play at the best level they can and if any have a dream of getting to the AFL then the SANFL is where you have to play. I can't see that changing.

The biggest issue for the SANFL is if Port and Adelaide get to recruit the best SANFL players to top up their reserve lists. We have seen it with the mid-season draft, local teams lose key players and cannot replace them. Brett Turner is an obvious example, hurt Glenelg who could not replace him but spent the year playing SANFL for Adelaide and then was dropped.

I honestly cannot see how playing in the VFL will help "player development".

Wine flies

Not sure why you worry so much about the cost of running a team in a national reserves comp.

With the salary cap increase, the entire expense is going to be the equivalent of one player salary.

Last edited:

There is only 1 team past Grand Junction Rd - Central Districts. I think there is a genuine case for a Gawler or Salisbury based team. You could also argue that with the population increases around Seaford, Aberfoyle Park etc a team could be based around that South Eastern foothills

Bit sure why you worry so much about the cost of running a team in a national reserves comp.

With the salary cap increase, the entire expense is going to be the equivalent of one player salary.
I don't worry about it .....I give the whole subject zero interest

However I find it interesting that everyones OK with splashing cash on a meaningless 2nd tier comp ....at a time where list sizes are still down on pre-covid numbers .....and footy dept's are under-staffed

IMO the priorities are out of wack .....get those list sizes up .....and put $$ back into the footy Dept's !!!

I don't worry about it .....I give the whole subject zero interest

However I find it interesting that everyones OK with splashing cash on a meaningless 2nd tier comp ....at a time where list sizes are still down on pre-covid numbers .....and footy dept's are under-staffed

IMO the priorities are out of wack .....get those list sizes up .....and put $$ back into the footy Dept's !!!

are footy depts understaffed?

The main reason why Port don’t pay a licence fee is because as a foundation club they had rights to a share of the sell off of West Lakes which they agreed to give up

Off the top of my head i would imagine that Port probably received more money than the other 8 real SANFL Clubs combined instead of only a 1/9th share.

You think that adds up to the $400k /season someone mentioned the Crows are paying.

What share did each of the other SANFL clubs get back?

:thumbsu:

The SANFL should have given Port annually the same share as each of the other 8 clubs received and then made Port pay the going rate of $400k/season.

Furthermore, the SANFL should have made all their handouts to Port as repayable loans.

Back