• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question. Do we still pay this fee. I thought it was made redundant a few years back.
Port don't pay anything I believe.
We must have had some smart negotiator working for us at the time compared to PA's deal.
Yes we do.
Port gave up their SANFL recruitment zone. Also they couldn't afford to pay.
No we didn't. Although Olsen negotiated it from the SANFL side I think

Yes we do.
That must have been a big give up. It would not have done anything towards their AFL side.

i just love the belief of how leaving the big bad sanfl to go to the loving arms of the afl who have looked after adelaide so well over the years is an automatic improvement and cannot possibly fail.
It's actually the best thing for the SANFL. Right now it's being propped up by artificial license fees which are in turn propping up the less financial clubs. Sound familiar?

The SANFL needs a massive restructure which won't happen while it's feeding off the teat of the AFL seconds.

Not sure what it means for the future of the SANFL, the Crows annual licence fee and TV rights are based on Port and Crows being involved (as they attract the most ratings) which keeps clubs like West and South Adelaide surviving.

SANFL are also half the SMA, there may be a lag, but they'll end up with their pound of flesh anyway.

Are you assuming the reserves side will always be playing as a curtain raiser to an AFL game ?

no. With AFL running both comps, the scheduling of Bs can be based upon cost minimisation. There's no reason the 2s can't play at 9:30am at a ground like Princess Park if we've got a 1:50pm game at the G. There would be numerous intricacies, but nothing insurmountable.

Would be interesting if an AFL reserves setup would mean clubs could have the ability to sign a top-up player at their club to their AFL list on short-term contracts similar to how they contract players in the NBA.

Might minimise the need to have a mid-season draft, also could guard against the SANFL’s response to a reserves comp which might be trying to stop their players participating in that draft.

Also quite ironic that the SANFL has finally switched over to using Sherrin’s from Burley’s for 2024 just as the AFL teams are looking to leave. That was always stupid that AFL players had to use different (quite frankly inferior) footballs.

I think there would be next to nothing for TV rights to a reserves comp. l am sure Foxtel will cover it but they won't be paying much for it.

I suspect they’ll be live streamed on the AFL app (ala the state leagues currently) at the expense of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL streams

I can see the AFL reserves taking the best talent from the SANFL which will devalue the competition as the AFL have shown little interest in supporting the state leagues. I have never been a fan of the Crows reserves and wish the previous system (AFL players tied to SANFL teams) was still in play; perhaps in hindsight the clubs needed more time/be more supportive of the Crows and Power needs.

Getting young people interested in SANFL has been an ongoing challenge; I go to most North games and most regular attendees would be over 45 with the exception some young families. The league needs to find a way to engage with younger fans.

The number one for kids is always going to be the AFL.

SANFL is competing for those families wanting a more relaxed, cheaper footy experience.

I think SANFL clubs are then competing with the ammo’s.

Realistically if I’m a parent, if I can drive five minutes or walk to a ground with my kids, not pay to be there and stand around with all my mates watching footy while the kids can run around having a kick with all their mates, I’m probably not going to bother with the SANFL.

Especially now that with all the money in amateur football all the top divs would be getting closer and closer to reserves standard.

It’s sad, because there’s so much history there and I still think the SANFL is a great product, unfortunately there’s only so many hours in a week.

Yeah a bit sad but I see hard times ahead now for the Sanfl if those two sides leave but they brought it upon themselves. It will be a case that most of the semi pro players will go country where they can be given a job thus diluting the comp even further. I'd give it ten years before the comp reinvents itself as say a version of the SAFA from the 70s

Yeah a bit sad but I see hard times ahead now for the Sanfl if those two sides leave but they brought it upon themselves. It will be a case that most of the semi pro players will go country where they can be given a job thus diluting the comp even further. I'd give it ten years before the comp reinvents itself as say a version of the SAFA from the 70s
I’ve talked to a lot of SANFL players about this.

For most of them they’re still motivated to test themselves and play the highest level of footy that they can.

However, it certainly seems that a lot of them aren’t motivated to do it for as long as they might have in the past. You can only turn down as much, if not more pay for significantly less commitment for so long while you’re working full time. It’s why guys who are 27-28 are now often the oldest players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question. Do we still pay this fee. I thought it was made redundant a few years back.
Port don't pay anything I believe.
We must have had some smart negotiator working for us at the time compared to PA's deal.
The main reason why Port don’t pay a licence fee is because as a foundation club they had rights to a share of the sell off of West Lakes which they agreed to give up

How much do foxtel pay at the moment for a reserved comp already containing most of the highest supported teams in it?

Can’t imagine the 2 SA & WA clubs moving the dial that much
It's not a national reserves competition. Why would foxtel pay for SANFL and VFL leagues etc that currently already have agreements in place with Channel 7.

What I'm talking about here is a broadcast deal for a standalone national reserves league.
The SANFL and VFL will have to negotiate a reduced agreement with whoever they like.

Guarantee more AFL fans will watch a national reserves competition when its club against club, and likely curtain raisers to the main thing.
And correspondingly someone will pay to televise it.

The main reason why Port don’t pay a licence fee is because as a foundation club they had rights to a share of the sell off of West Lakes which they agreed to give up
You think that adds up to the $400k /season someone mentioned the Crows are paying.

What share did each of the other SANFL clubs get back?

It's not a national reserves competition. Why would foxtel pay for SANFL and VFL leagues etc that currently already have agreements in place with Channel 7.

What I'm talking about here is a broadcast deal for a standalone national reserves league.
The SANFL and VFL will have to negotiate a reduced agreement with whoever they like.

Guarantee more AFL fans will watch a national reserves competition when its club against club, and likely curtain raisers to the main thing.
And correspondingly someone will pay to televise it.
You can dress it up all you want. The eyeballs and dollars want to see Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton etc reserves play each other and they already have this.

Adding the SA/WA clubs to this adds no value at all from a tv marketing point of view.

There’d probably be an initial bump in the establishment of an AFL reserves but that would drop back very quickly.

honestly, who wants to really watch afl reserves football anyways? crowds here and in victoria indicate they dont really care. i dont know what tv ratings look like but would they really be that different from non afl reserves games?

besides, there's not really any indication from the afl that they care enough to put this all together. why would they care?

Interesting study is the SANFL. Becoming more and more amateur but with big assets and unsustainable budgets that separate them from genuine grass roots footy. If the 'second best comp in the land' still appears in their mission statement, then they need to reassess what they're about. I wouldn't suggest they fall down under an AFLSA banner, but they do need a recalibration for the overall betterment of the game in SA.

Yes we do.
well that was an Interesting trade off wasnt it?

A heavy price for Fielding many Port Power listed players in that Port magpies list.

They gave up the country zone which was the Eyre Peninsula.

Gave up their local zones too. Thats why Darren Meads son and the Burgoyne kids didnt play for the magpies, they had to play for Woodville west torrens instead.

Not sure what it means for the future of the SANFL, the Crows annual licence fee and TV rights are based on Port and Crows being involved (as they attract the most ratings) which keeps clubs like West and South Adelaide surviving.
Yes..... and no...

I follow the South Adelaide Panthers in the SANFL. Yes Souths and west have a small fan base. But they will survive on one reason. Its the same reason why Glenelg and Centrals survive too: Its called pokies.

As a long suffering South fan prior to being set free by the Crows …. don’t do it, it will give you no joy.

South Adelaide Premierships in the last 59 seasons …. Nil in 29 years at Noarlunga, nil in their last 30 years at Adelaide Oval. Premierships in the last 100 years …. 3 - 1964, 1938 and 1935.

I”m still suffering from the childhood trauma of the 9-9 (63) to 3 -14 (32) loss to the Scum …. spent standing in the wind and rain behind the northern goals at the 1979 Grand Final. But hey, we did win the Seconds Grand Final that day against the Bays.

I’d have more chance of naming 75% the 1979 GF team in position than knowing 5 current South players …. Bryce Gibbs, Keegan Brooksby, Haines (son of Peter), Broadbent ….?
glad you know your history about South Adelaide panthers.

Flags they have won in the years... 1877, 1885, 1892, 1893, 1895, 1896, 1898, 1899, 1935, 1938, 1964.

Back