• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As has been mentioned previously, South would be your local SANFL club, Glenelg your next closest club, great ground and area to go to games, good pubs nearby.
Obviously I’d suggest Sturt but that’s not much chop after yesterday 🙄
Go to a few games here and there and see what you think, it’s a pretty cruisy day as compared to everything involved in going to an AFL game

Hi Guys, I have a SANFL query.

I have recently moved across to SA and bought a house down in Port Noarlunga.

Whilst I can't get across to the G to watch my beloved Pies each week, I would still like to have a footy fix.

As I am not up with it with SANFL team, I would appreciate some advice on who to follow.
Whether it be location, history, or some other reason.

I did look on the SANFL threads but there was little to no movement, so I thought to ask the SA club boards.
So there was you guys, or Port. I wanted an open and honest opinion.
So there was you guys :)

Apart from knowing Port have been hard done by for not winning the last 8 flags and apparently Ken needs to be sacked, there wasn't much more info to tell.

I am well aware that Adeliade have a feeder club in the SANFL, I am sure some of you had other clubs, prior to the birth of the Crows.

Any Info would be great.

Cheers
Norwood, history,good connection with Collingwood over the years, location could be an issue.
as mentioned location wise for you South, Glenelg and Sturt, don’t turn into a feral and go with Port😁
good luck and enjoy your journey 👍

Whilst I can't get across to the G to watch my beloved Pies each week, I would still like to have a footy fix.

As I am not up with it with SANFL team, I would appreciate some advice on who to follow.

I did look on the SANFL threads but there was little to no movement, so I thought to ask the SA club boards.

Apart from knowing Port have been hard done by for not winning the last 8 flags and apparently Ken needs to be sacked, there wasn't much more info to tell.

I am well aware that Adeliade have a feeder club in the SANFL, I am sure some of you had other clubs, prior to the birth of the Crows.

Any Info would be great.

Cheers
South Adelaide seems a perfect fit, they have only won one less flag than Collingwood over the last 60 years 🙄.

On the other hand, the local team The Cockle Divers (coached by Andrew Jarman) could use some support. Don’t go anywhere near the silver spooners (Norwood and Sturt).

In all honesty it would be more enjoyable following a local club in the Southern Footy League or Great Southern Football League rather than the decaying, meaningless SANFL.

South Adelaide seems a perfect fit, they have only won one less flag than Collingwood over the last 60 years 🙄.

On the other hand, the local team The Cockle Divers (coached by Andrew Jarman) could use some support. Don’t go anywhere near the silver spooners (Norwood and Sturt).

In all honesty it would be more enjoyable following a local club in the Southern Footy League or Great Southern Football League rather than the decaying, meaningless SANFL.
More quality rubbish, decaying, meaningless? How many did those comps get to their GF?

Let me guess, you’re a West supporter

More quality rubbish, decaying, meaningless? How many did those comps get to their GF?

Let me guess, you’re a West supporter
How many SANFL matches have you attended this year. The average crowd was less than 2,500 a match. AFLW matches are positively claustrophobic in comparison.

The GF for the SFL had a larger crowd than any match at Panther Park (Noarlunga) this year. The GSFL had an even bigger crowd.

Yes, once a year the Nursing Homes empty out, the Western Stand Members transfer their free tickets to their fathers and grandfathers and the SANFL get twenty or thirty odd thousand.

I read that in the 1960s the average SANFL crowd was over 12,000 a match and I’m sure you can remember how great the Legs were back then. The majority of SANFL matches this year had between 1,000 and 2,000 people. Slippery Pete had more than that at his flat warming party.

P.S. Nup, not a Westies supporters, my grandparents did love the Eagles prior to the Crows (but never attended another match after 1990).

How many SANFL matches have you attended this year. The average crowd was less than 2,500 a match. AFLW matches are positively claustrophobic in comparison.

The GF for the SFL had a larger crowd than any match at Panther Park (Noarlunga) this year. The GSFL had an even bigger crowd.

Yes, once a year the Nursing Homes empty out, the Western Stand Members transfer their free tickets to their fathers and grandfathers and the SANFL get twenty or thirty odd thousand.

I read that in the 1960s the average SANFL crowd was over 12,000 a match and I’m sure you can remember how great the Legs were back then. The majority of SANFL matches this year had between 1,000 and 2,000 people. Slippery Pete had more than that at his flat warming party.

P.S. Nup, not a Westies supporters, my grandparents did love the Eagles prior to the Crows (but never attended another match after 1990).
Decaying means in decline, have the SANFL crowds been going up or down?

Are you really comparing a Grand Final v minor round attendances? Shouldn’t the comparison be Grand Finals?

I didn’t go to many games this year, that’s irrelevant though, I’m one person.

So you don’t have a SANFL team?

Decaying means in decline, have the SANFL crowds been going up or down?

Are you really comparing a Grand Final v minor round attendances? Shouldn’t the comparison be Grand Finals?

I didn’t go to many games this year, that’s irrelevant though, I’m one person.

So you don’t have a SANFL team?
Yes, I’ve been to quite a few SANFL matches this year. My team is the Crows.

Would you like me to draw a chart of the average SANFL crowds over the last fifty years. They peaked prior to the introduction of Woodville and Centrals. There has been a dead cat bounce this year following the Covid decline…….all the way up to 2,500 per match.

You do understand what decline means?

I also follow a local footy team. Much more enjoyable, you feel like you’re part of the club and the footy is entertaining. Why would a Victorian moving to Adelaide join the small group of geriatrics who have been following the same team (Norwood, Sturt, Glenelg etc) for the last fifty years?

Would you like me to draw a chart of the average SANFL crowds over the last fifty years. They peaked prior to the introduction of Woodville and Centrals. There has been a dead cat bounce this year following the Covid decline…….all the way up to 2,500 per match.

I also follow a local footy team. Much more enjoyable, you feel like you’re part of the club and the footy is entertaining. Why would a Victorian moving to Adelaide join the small group of geriatrics who have been following the same team (Norwood, Sturt, Glenelg etc) for the last fifty years?
Maybe because he asked

Any Info would be great.

Cheers
Unfortunately you live near a shocker of a club, which might be ok, but the ground is even worse.

Get on the reigning champs Glenelg. Just a 20 minute drive down the hill.

So prior to the Crows joining the SANFL who did you support?

I don’t need a chart, clearly the SANFL isn’t what it once was given the intro of SA teams into the AFL. But it has its place in the footy landscape and it’s still good quality football. Decaying means it’s continuing to decline, so have crowds been in decline over recent years? How about ratings? But good to see you’ve moved away from comparing Grand Finals to minor round games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jakson meanwhile...

homer-backing-into-bush-gif.1813816

Any Info would be great.

Cheers

Norwoods the club for you.

there's more kids and younger people at sanfl games these days then there have been for years. and as long as the afl wants to keep pricing people out of their game the sanfl will pick up people

As has been mentioned previously, South would be your local SANFL club, Glenelg your next closest club, great ground and area to go to games, good pubs nearby.
Obviously I’d suggest Sturt but that’s not much chop after yesterday 🙄
Go to a few games here and there and see what you think, it’s a pretty cruisy day as compared to everything involved in going to an AFL game
Thanks guys for the great clarifications.

Prior to coming across to SA, I was in Echuca and loved local football.
I think next season, I will do this, go and have a look.
Starting to have a soft spot for Panthers, as they seem like battlers and could use the support ;).
Love the Collingwood connection and the close proximity.
Not a fan of the Carlton Theme song, or the fact JHF came from there.

Glenelg has potential, as I do like the bars and the area.

As I hate Port Adelaide (hate is a terrible word). As I totally, completely, vehemently, absolutely despise Port Adelaide (yeah, thats better) do they have a natural enemy in the SANFL, because I could find a soft spot for them also?

As for this years GF, I am still contemplating whether to go to the G to watch Coll-Bris.
If I choose to stay home, is there a cool pub in the southern area, that will have the game on a big screen and have a good atmosphere?

Apologies once more, for the bombardment of questions.

Starting to have a soft spot for Panthers, as they seem like battlers and could use the support ;).

As I hate Port Adelaide (hate is a terrible word). As I totally, completely, vehemently, absolutely despise Port Adelaide (yeah, thats better) do they have a natural enemy in the SANFL, because I could find a soft spot for them also?

As for this years GF, I am still contemplating whether to go to the G to watch Coll-Bris.
If I choose to stay home, is there a cool pub in the southern area, that will have the game on a big screen and have a good atmosphere?

Ports arch enemy is Norwood, a history as long as your arm

Check out the Marion Hotel or the VIC on Ohalloran Hill. Good pub set ups and advertising to get people there on the day. Haven’t been to a pub for Gf day for years so not sure how good they will be but Marion in particular a great set up and new

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any Info would be great.

Cheers
Head over to safooty.net and there is good banter from a number of loyal followers of the SANFL. It does sound like South Adelaide could be your team. One of the oldest in the SANFL, they’ve suffered from historically not having a permanent home, but the move down to Noarlunga about 30 years ago is bearing fruit and the joy that will come to those loyal South fans who haven’t seen success since 1964 (and not much before then either) will be worth being a part of.

The criticism of the competition by some of the idiots on here should be ignored. They’ve become brain dead from watching the local media’s obsession with all things Crows or Power since they came in. The dedication of the players and coaches to be the best they can be, whilst working or studying, is very admirable and you’ll get a nice tour of Adelaide by attending the various home grounds of each of the clubs. Enjoy the footy.

Head over to safooty.net and there is good banter from a number of loyal followers of the SANFL. It does sound like South Adelaide could be your team. One of the oldest in the SANFL, they’ve suffered from historically not having a permanent home, but the move down to Noarlunga about 30 years ago is bearing fruit and the joy that will come to those loyal South fans who haven’t seen success since 1964 (and not much before then either) will be worth being a part of.

The criticism of the competition by some of the idiots on here should be ignored. They’ve become brain dead from watching the local media’s obsession with all things Crows or Power since they came in. The dedication of the players and coaches to be the best they can be, whilst working or studying, is very admirable and you’ll get a nice tour of Adelaide by attending the various home grounds of each of the clubs. Enjoy the footy.

As a long suffering South fan prior to being set free by the Crows …. don’t do it, it will give you no joy.

South Adelaide Premierships in the last 59 seasons …. Nil in 29 years at Noarlunga, nil in their last 30 years at Adelaide Oval. Premierships in the last 100 years …. 3 - 1964, 1938 and 1935.

I”m still suffering from the childhood trauma of the 9-9 (63) to 3 -14 (32) loss to the Scum …. spent standing in the wind and rain behind the northern goals at the 1979 Grand Final. But hey, we did win the Seconds Grand Final that day against the Bays.

I’d have more chance of naming 75% the 1979 GF team in position than knowing 5 current South players …. Bryce Gibbs, Keegan Brooksby, Haines (son of Peter), Broadbent ….?

Back