Unrestricted Free Agent Tyson Stengle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Most important footy year of his life you'd reckon. Plays close to the level of his AA year and he'll field some gigantic offers in length and amount.

Of course, may decide to just stay with Geelong who gave him a lifeline but he'll probably turn down a fair bit of money to do so.

I will always love this guy. If he gets a pay day I'll be heartbroken but I'll understand. Then again we have so many retirements that money shouldn't be an issue.

If I was him I'd be looking at Port's forward mix and the potential to be getting fed by their midfield and thinking that would be an opportunity.

Been on my mind since he joined and Eddie left.
I don’t expect him to stay, just a feeling he’ll end up back in SA

I doubt he goes back to SA, considering that is where all of his off field troubles started.

Hawthorn and Essendon will have massive crack at him I imagine.

But as I posted before, I honestly feel he is obliged to stay at Geelong for at least a couple more years, given how they turned his career and life around.

Would be disappointed in his character if he left (unless he signs with Carlton obviously:) )

Would be a pretty piss poor move from Stengle if he decides to leave Geelong and chase bigger coin elsewhere imo.

He owes that footy club to stay on for at least a couple more seasons IMHO.
He was key in adding some silverware. Reckon he's repayed us. Would prefer he stay regardless

Been on my mind since he joined and Eddie left.
I don’t expect him to stay, just a feeling he’ll end up back in SA
Doubt he will go back to the Crows.

Reckon more likely to stay at Cats than go to Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or GWS would probably suit him if he leaves Geelong. (Out of the limelight)

Gold Coast could use a player like him.

If Geelong have a bad year, it may be in their best interest to let him go and take the picks to rebuild.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or GWS would probably suit him if he leaves Geelong. (Out of the limelight)

If Geelong have a bad year, it may be in their best interest to let him go and take the picks to rebuild.
He's just turned 25 and we've got heaps of young players on the list already. He should still have 6-7 years at his peak. We should be looking to bring in quality players around his age not move them on.

Obviously if he decides to go we can't do much about it. But I'd be wary of going after him hard if I were another team. He's turned his life around and is easily best 22 at a team with a stable environment. Why would he want to leave and if it's for money why wouldn't Geelong be offering him similar?

100 times out of 100 we opt to keep him

Not our choice though

If you finish bottom 6, and someone offers him 800k a year?
Probably putting a Freo approach on Geelong who dont operate like that I dont think. We can meme/complain about free dairy farms but they are very very good at topping up and going again. Even if they were bottom 6, they are going to back themselves to be competing again in 2 years and history suggests they could pull it off.

For Stengle to be poor enough they are happy for him to go, he's not getting offers of 800k

Probably putting a Freo approach on Geelong who dont operate like that I dont think. We can meme/complain about free dairy farms but they are very very good at topping up and going again. Even if they were bottom 6, they are going to back themselves to be competing again in 2 years and history suggests they could pull it off.

For Stengle to be poor enough they are happy for him to go, he's not getting offers of 800k
The hawks found out all clubs need to rebuild.

I think now that Selwood and Smith are gone, Hawkins is slowing down, Danger is the wrong side of the 30 I don't see them getting enough A grade talent to challenge for a flag.

I think now that Selwood and Smith are gone, Hawkins is slowing down, Danger is the wrong side of the 30 I don't see them getting enough A grade talent to challenge for a flag.

Yeah maybe you're right. That won't change their decision though.

Hawks basically ignored the draft completely when they traded for their top ups but we haven't done that.

Consider that the last big trade the cats did was Jeremy Cameron - 3 seasons ago. Trades since then have mostly been aimed at bringing kids in (Bruhn/Henry/Clark) rather than trade them out.

I'd argue our drafting the last few years has been pretty intensive. We've only had a couple of top 10 picks due to on field success, but if you're counting top 35ish drafted we'd compare pretty much the same as Richmond and Hawthorn. That their kids have pushed through more games reflects more on the team success than the kids I think.

The problem isn't kids, the problem is 25 year olds. Specifically a power mid and key forward. I think we can go without the key forward, we just need to add a power mid.

If you finish bottom 6, and someone offers him 800k a year?

We've already got Holmes, Bruhn, O Henry, Knevitt, Conway, Dempsey, Clark, Mullin, de Koning and O'Sullivan that are inexperienced players either in the best 22, high end picks or shown enough to suggest we're going to pump games into them.

There are a whole stack of others under 22. A couple of them will likely push on. If we finish bottom 6 we'll have another top pick next year.

We're not in need of talented kids right now. We need quality experienced players in their mid 20s.

We've already got Holmes, Bruhn, O Henry, Knevitt, Conway, Dempsey, Clark, Mullin, de Koning and O'Sullivan that are inexperienced players either in the best 22, high end picks or shown enough to suggest we're going to pump games into them.

There are a whole stack of others under 22. A couple of them will likely push on. If we finish bottom 6 we'll have another top pick next year.

We're not in need of talented kids right now. We need quality experienced players in their mid 20s.

Hello, is it Bailey you're looking for?
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
You're all I've ever wanted

The youth is not the problem (our under 23 stocks are very good) its the middle age bracket. We dont have enough decent players aged 25-28 and we need more not less. For that reason we wont let stengle go if we can avoid it (not our choice obviously).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back