Unrestricted Free Agent Elliot Yeo [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Again that's the difference.

If a club has 5 or 6 or 7 or even 8 blokes In the starting 18, aged 30 or over and they make finals and win finals , then there's little talk of a rebuild .

But if that club with 6-8 guys aged 30 or over is in the bottom 6, then it's rebuild mode
Even if you have no guys over 30 and are in the bottom 6 all the talk is rebuild.

Rebuild is just a meaningless buzzword to mask being a bad team.

Ah yes when Freo poster says do a trade, you bring up a bad one.

Here's a nice one.Dockers traded Brad hill and a 2020 3rd rounder for picks 10, 58, Blake acres, 2020 2nd rounder and 2020 4th rounder.

That 2020 2nd and 2020 4th rounder was traded to Collingwood for 2020 3rd rounder and James Aish.

That pick 10 somehow was traded down to pick 8 for Caleb Serong .

Blake acres, Caleb Serong and James Aish were in that famous 2022 Elim final win vs the dogs.

I don't regret that trade.

I don't regret the Rory Lobb trade either.

Of the 23 dockers players in that 2022 Elim final win, 19 of those blokes got their 1st ever finals win on their career even if Lobb, Logue and acres left a month later

Best you have is downgrading from 10 to 8. What a legendary trading that makes!

The rest is neither here nor there. You quote acres like he is a bust. Carlton happy with every penny they paid. Thats all you have.

Rest is all rubbish. You want to bring that up to dilute hogan/ben king thing. I am embarrassed for you.

Trust a freo fan to call an elimination final FAMOUS. No such thing. Pride in elimination final wins is not a sense of pride to WC fans. So you keep your elimination final quality side, we will aim higher.

Any offer that is put to Yeo by another team will be matched or bettered by the Eagles in salary and duration. Even as an UFA there will be no salary incentive to for him to move and recently got engaged to a local girl. He won’t leave the Eagles.

Barass
McGovern
Nick Nat
Shuey
Sheed

Off the top of my head. I am sure you can pick this apart cos reasons but the theme remains the same.

We last re-signed Barrass when he was 24 (2021) and Sheed at 26 (also 2021). That’s when you give good players decent contracts if you want to keep them. Barrass was an astute signing (injuries last year, B&F the year before and back to form this season). Sheed has had a shocking injury run but realistically was never better than a 4th to 5th mid anyway. He’s an extra.

McGovern turned 32 yesterday (he’s 1 year older than Tom Stewart, for some perspective) and is still one of the best at what he does in the game. I have absolutely no issue keeping him at the club, he’s battled injuries but signed on as a 3 time AA key defender (and went onto win another). No club in the league was letting him go when he was signed.

The other 2 are retired - Shuey, our captain, got an extra year but was moved on. I agree, that year was debatable but I guess they felt he had another crack in him.
Nic got 2 (should have been 1)….and retired after 1 anyway. His last 2 seasons actually playing were All Australian - he missed a chunk of 2022 and didn’t play again.
Neither contract broke the bank or stopped us getting better young players - they barely played and had no trade value.

You will have noted a theme though - it’s not the contracts signed - it’s the injuries and the inability for the best players to actually get on the park - that has been the major problem for West Coast across the last 2 seasons.

It’s not noted but we did turn over quite a few from the last flag - some would argue before their time such as Jetta, Vardy and Schofield. We also lost Brad Sheppard way before his time unfortunately. Josh Kennedy was still productive when he finished, as was Shannon Hurn (we miss him this year down back).

2 you missed - again signed before it all went to s**t and certainly not when they were ‘old’ was Darling and Gaff - over the last couple of years, they’ve both been unable to carry the team - likely because they’ve both peaked themselves, it happens but neither will likely see another contract at the Eagles.

Could he be the first guy going Eagles - Dockers since Daniel Metropolis?
I highly doubt it, but may as well dream.

Could he be the first guy going Eagles - Dockers since Daniel Metropolis?
I highly doubt it, but may as well dream.
Nah, he was asked about it on ABC radio at the start of the year and laghed it off saying Nisbett would never allow it.

Obviously Nisbett's gone but I'm sure his ghost still lingers...

Any offer that is put to Yeo by another team will be matched or bettered by the Eagles in salary and duration. Even as an UFA there will be no salary incentive to for him to move and recently got engaged to a local girl. He won’t leave the Eagles.
I've seen the way Harley & Elliot look at each other on the field, she better keep a close eye on those two... :tearsofjoy:

OK, so Geelong won a flag in 2022 and are 5-0 this year with those older players.

West Coast are one of the worst sides of all time with those older players.
And Geelong may fall off a cliff just like the Eagles. Geelong have twice as many 30 year old players than West Coast.
Rohan and Cameron Guthrie have not even got on the field this year and likely several players will retire in the next few years
The Eagles have less 30 year old players on the list than about 12 other teams.
Clubs like Richmond, Collingwood Have bigger problems managing their older players as they get to retirement than the Eagles.
As for the worst side bit. We have had one of the worst injury lists in the modern era.
We beat Richmond who's injury list was almost as bad as ours last year. We were only picking our side from 25 available players
last year.

And Geelong may fall off a cliff just like the Eagles. Geelong have twice as many 30 year old players than West Coast.
Rohan and Cameron Guthrie have not even got on the field this year and likely several players will retire in the next few years
Clubs like Richmond, Collingwood Have bigger problems managing their older players as they get to retirement than the Eagles.
As for the worst side bit. We have had one of the worst injury lists in the modern era.
We beat Richmond who's injury list was almost as bad as ours last year. We were only picking our side from 25 available players
last year.

Their injury list is really bad, but its not that close to ours at our worst last year. Just picking a random flogging (we had a few).

Rd 10 v Hawthorn 2023

West Coast outs from best 22:

Jeremey McGovern 4 x AA + 1 Squad
Elliot Yeo 2 x AA + 1 Squad
Nic Naitanui 3 x AA + 1 Squad
Shannon Hurn 2 x AA
Jack Darling 1 x AA
Liam Ryan 1 x AA
Luke Shuey 2 AA Squad
Tom Barrass 1 AA Squad
Jamie Cripps
Elijah Hewett
Jai Culley
Luke Edwards
Sam Petrevski Seton

Rd 5 v West Coast 2024

Richmond outs from best 22:

Noah Balta
Tom Lynch 1 x AA + 1 AA Squad
Tim Taranto
Jacob Hopper
Dylan Grimes 1 x AA + 2 AA Squad
Jack Ross
Dion Prestia 1 AA Sqaud
Josh Gibcus (?)

Last edited:
last year.

Yes Geelong might fall of a cliff. People have been posted that since about 2012.

Yes Rohan and Guthrie haven't played Geelong are 5-0 so perhaps they aren't as important you imply.

Eagles have less 30 year olds now in 2024.

Once again injuries are the excuse. Surprised COVID hasn't been mentioned. WC have been trying to rely on old players who turn up far and don't prepare properly and they unsurprisingly get injured.

Yes one of the worst sides of all time. Easily the worst Eagles side ever. Then again they won a game at home against a decimated bottom 4 favourite and so all is good.

Collingwood have bigger problems that the Eagles? Pies must be devastated to find that out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Geelong might fall of a cliff. People have been posted that since about 2012.

Yes Rohan and Guthrie haven't played Geelong are 5-0 so perhaps they aren't as important you imply.
Which good teams have they played?

Once again injuries are the excuse. Surprised COVID hasn't been mentioned. WC have been trying to rely on old players who turn up far and don't prepare properly and they unsurprisingly get injured.
You been listening to Kane Cornes have you?
Yes one of the worst sides of all time. Easily the worst Eagles side ever. Then again they won a game at home against a decimated bottom 4 favourite and so all is good.

Collingwood have bigger problems that the Eagles? Pies must be devastated to find that out.
They will once they lose a couple of their stars who are 30+, theyve already been very average with them playing this year. Take out Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Cox, Elliot, WHE, Howe and a couple random players for usual injuries, and their depth doesnt look so good, with very little good talent coming through.
Geelong have been very fortunate with their very good older players not getting injured, and being able to get some handy trades+ draft some mature age players. It wouldnt have taken much for Collingwood or Geelong to end up like West Coast did, the wrong person in their S&C department and those premierships dont happen

Anyways, back to Yeo. Hes not going anywhere, Eagles have way too much cap space for any club to be able to offer enough to make him move across the country for a year or 2. Despite AA form, hes still 31 at the end of the year so any free agency compo wont be worth letting him go

13 teams have gone winless in the VFL/AFL. All these teams played prior to the 1990 name change from the VFL to the AFL. They also competed prior to 1970, the first season to feature 22 games.
The last two years are the worst two seasons that the Eagles have performed but will wait and see at the end of the year whether you change your mind

Yeah worth noting that WC and Geelong pretty much did exactly the same thing with their veterans. But ours stayed fit and performed, and theirs didn't.

There's a little more to it than that.

You traded in THE best midfielder in the AFL at the time.

And then with the same currency it took us to trade in a A-/B+ midfielder in TK from you guys (which I don't regret) you used that currency to do the old raid the expansion clubs and bring in arguably the best forward in the league.
You also got to 'trade' in a Gold Coast 1st rounder for the price of YOU getting one of their 1st round picks.

... and all power to you.

But to act like every club is able to pull off the same things is just a bit brain dead.

It's a compromised league all round and we've got our own natural advantages - but they don't translate from club to club.

Last edited:
Go look at freos 2016-21 rebuild . How come they didn't finish bottom 2 like eagles did in 2022 and 2023?

Also where's freos priority picks? Oh that's right, they got none. Dockers got active and creative on the trade table.

I suggest the eagles do the same and get active on the trade table.

Harley Reid was an inspired pick, but I would back the Eagles to trade picks 2 and 38 for picks 5, 23 and 41 and get 3 gun WA kids
Come again? You got active in trades?

More like every year players were bailing on you. Whys that?

How about Lachie Schultz, Blake Acres, Darcy Tucker, Lloyd Meek, Adam Cerra, Jesse Hogan, Brad Hill, Ed Langdon, Lachie Neale, Lachie Weller and Hayden Crozier?

All Colin Young?
I say half of them.

Brad Hill definately. How could Hill get the saints to pay him $900,000 a year?

Best you have is downgrading from 10 to 8. What a legendary trading that makes!

The rest is neither here nor there. You quote acres like he is a bust. Carlton happy with every penny they paid. Thats all you have.

Rest is all rubbish. You want to bring that up to dilute hogan/ben king thing. I am embarrassed for you.

Trust a freo fan to call an elimination final FAMOUS. No such thing. Pride in elimination final wins is not a sense of pride to WC fans. So you keep your elimination final quality side, we will aim higher.
You don't think Eagles should consider trading because Freo did? I suppose it's as valid opinion as any. Just holding picks and stubbornly going to the draft is possibly a reasonable method for a rebuild. Not that it has been tried before, and Eagles almost certainly won't be of the same opinion you hold as evinced by the fact that indeed trading during this rebuild has already occured.

I do acknowledge that it would be a very interesting study though. It would be a 'can the draft work as it's intended' hypothesis.

It won't happen though. All teams trade - picks and players. Furthermore, no team has ever based their entire list management on the 'what did Freo do?' mantra. I feel that would be pretty weird.

Peter Sumich stated in SportFM Eagles are indeed searching for trades and that they tend to be active this trade period. He has also been vocal that Eagles need more picks and that trading down a first rounder this year would be something they should consider.

I guess we will see. Either Suma is going to look a bit foolish or you are.

As a Freo fan it's a win-win.

Heard on the weekend Collingwood are interested.

Makes complete sense. In the window, will have bulk retirements this year and Yeo is back to playing really good footy.

Have missed out on Max Holmes who they offered big money too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back