Analysis The Stats and nothing but the Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Please no one judge me or call me dumb, but those graphs look like drawings my 3yo granddaughter does with her etch a sketch!
I have absolutely no understanding of what I'm seeing.
You want to be towards the top right corner. Teams that win the premiership are almost always in that region, or excel greatly on either metric.

Similar graph to afl squiggle and the on the couch premiership region graph.

Please no one judge me or call me dumb, but those graphs look like drawings my 3yo granddaughter does with her etch a sketch!
I have absolutely no understanding of what I'm seeing.
Can hardly judge you Jewels. Half the posts in this thread might as well be ancient runes to me.

You want to be towards the top right corner. Teams that win the premiership are almost always in that region, or excel greatly on either metric.

Thank you for that. I kinda get it but why then are we equal 3rdish with Geelong when we have the highest percentage, the second highest points for and the second lowest points against? I would have thought we would therefore be at the top!

Thank you for that. I kinda get it but why then are we equal 3rdish with Geelong when we have the highest percentage, the second highest points for and the second lowest points against? I would have thought we would therefore be at the top!
I'd say is a bit more complex than simply points for and against. Without knowing his model, it probably takes into account the quality of the opposition's defence your scoring against, and the opposition's attack your defending against.

It is fascinating as for a graph apart from 1-2 outliners all the premierships have come from teams consistently in that zone.

Large sample size rate its something to look at it to see how your team is doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a truly confusing stat. Tigers win 3 premierships in that time and yet are further down the list than I ever expected.
So in my view it's a pretty nothing stat... all it shows is that teams who consistently make the finals play more top 8 sides than those who don't...

First possession stats for this week.

Pretty even overall, but I reckon Horse & co would've wanted a bit more pressure from us in the contest, perhaps why he looked frustrated throughout the game despite the margin. Allowing a better midfield than Hawthorn's that kind of efficiency with their first use would be trouble.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 5.48.39 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 5.48.59 pm.png

First possession stats for this week.

Pretty even overall, but I reckon Horse & co would've wanted a bit more pressure from us in the contest, perhaps why he looked frustrated throughout the game despite the margin. Allowing a better midfield than Hawthorn's that kind of efficiency with their first use would be trouble.

View attachment 1974698

View attachment 1974699
Thanks caesar88 fascinating and a correct conclusion IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back