Preview Round 7: Bloods vs Hawthorn 4pm Sunday @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it will be Fox, Roberts or Jordon as sub this week. Don't think they like having the same player do it two weeks in a row so that will rule out Campbell. Wicks has only played one full game in weeks so doubt it will be him.

this game wont even be close

not anywhere like the richmond game where they had good & capable players on the field

sicily is a shell of last year, newcombe can barely get 15 touches in some games, they have no forwards how do they even come close to kicking a winning score

not anywhere like the richmond game where they had good & capable players on the field

sicily is a shell of last year, newcombe can barely get 15 touches in some games, they have no forwards how do they even come close to kicking a winning score

Effort and intent can go a long way, the competition is as close as ever remember Hawthorn beat Brisbane at the MCG last season at their peak.

Effort and intent can go a long way, the competition is as close as ever remember Hawthorn beat Brisbane at the MCG last season at their peak.
nope they are rubbish, ive watched every one of their games

west coast and adelaide (the teams around hawks) would probably beat north by 60+ as well

hawthorn are no where near it

What about pulling back a bit , lower teams build up fot these games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbf Hawthorn have had a horrific fixture so far this season

Essendon
dees
cats
Pies
Gold Coast in QLD

It’s only the game v North last week where they haven’t come up against a genuine finals chance.

Swans should win but
Agree but we should be looking at ourselves as every bit the equal of those teams if not better than the majority so like them should handle Hawks comfortably. If not some deep reflection needs to be getting done as to why we let ourselves down continually against that quality of opposition.

Adams in has been a huge bonus for our midfield.

The most important part about putting away lower sides is winning field position, and I don't think we'll lose the midfield battle.

Last time I went into a game thinking we'd win by a good amount, we played pathetic footy and lost by 5 points. Bloody tigers

I hope this time round we've learnt to bring the heat from the bounce.

Anyone worried about Ginnivan tomorrow having a blinder?
Ginnivan and blinder should not be used in the same sentence ever again. He’s a good footballer but is in the bottom 50% of players in the league yet is in the top 10% for media.

Similar vibe to pre the Richmond game a couple of weeks ago. We deserve to be favourites and we should win but our MCG record is poor and Hawthorn has a habit of giving us a touch up. I personally don’t think the Hawks are the easy beats some are saying they will be. They challenged Geelong and were unlucky to not get the points over the Pies who have come good.

We are still a young side and we are still missing our 3 captains from the past couple of years in Mills, Rampe and Parker. I’m tipping us to win as we have shown we have solid depth and I would like to think we have learnt the mistakes from the Richmond game but I think this will be much much closer then some on here are suggesting.

For all the talk about our poor MCG record, I don't know that it's that bad. It doesn't scream 'horror!' more than any other ground really when you look at the results.

Last year we lost all four games at the G. But on closer inspection, look at those games individually... two of them were against top 4 opponents (Melbourne & Collingwood), and we didn't beat any top four sides last year at all (also lost to Melbourne at home later in the year, and failed to get a W over Geelong in two games, neither at the G.)

The elimination final against Carlton was a doomed mission from the start with how banged-up some of our key players were as we limped into finals. And the loss against Richmond there last year might've stood out as noteworthy given their ladder position, but we also had losses to the sides directly above and below them, so was it really that bad?

In 2022 we went 2-2 there. Had great wins over Melbourne both in the H&A season and in finals. We had a narrow loss to Essendon, but last year we also had a narrow win over Essendon, and that was at Marvel. All our games against them are line-ball regardless of where they're played. And then there was the GF, which has been well covered.

As for the G this year... mixed bag. We can say we shat the bed on the G against the Tigers in round 3, but we pretty much played just as bad the following week against West Coast, in South Australia. And the Pies game in round 1, well we didn't know Collingwood were going to be middle of the road, did we? As far as we knew we were going to play the reigning premiers on the G in front of 80k fans. No beds were shat.

So I see no pattern or trend to suggest we struggle with the MCG. It's not like we struggle with the bigger ground, given our strong record at grounds like Optus.

I think we have a grand final issue, which happens to take place at the G, and a 'heavy favourites' issue, which has been our undoing at many different grounds.

Ginnivan and blinder should not be used in the same sentence ever again. He’s a good footballer but is in the bottom 50% of players in the league yet is in the top 10% for media.
I am a calm and peaceful old bloke nowadays. However that Ginnipig fella irks me. As a person he seems void of any admirable quality, on or off the field.

Not saying it was right but in a previous era the Oppo and half his team mates would have delivered some rough justice to straighten him out.

For all the talk about our poor MCG record, I don't know that it's that bad. It doesn't scream 'horror!' more than any other ground really when you look at the results.

Last year we lost all four games at the G. But on closer inspection, look at those games individually... two of them were against top 4 opponents (Melbourne & Collingwood), and we didn't beat any top four sides last year at all (also lost to Melbourne at home later in the year, and failed to get a W over Geelong in two games, neither at the G.)

The elimination final against Carlton was a doomed mission from the start with how banged-up some of our key players were as we limped into finals. And the loss against Richmond there last year might've stood out as noteworthy given their ladder position, but we also had losses to the sides directly above and below them, so was it really that bad?

In 2022 we went 2-2 there. Had great wins over Melbourne both in the H&A season and in finals. We had a narrow loss to Essendon, but last year we also had a narrow win over Essendon, and that was at Marvel. All our games against them are line-ball regardless of where they're played. And then there was the GF, which has been well covered.

As for the G this year... mixed bag. We can say we shat the bed on the G against the Tigers in round 3, but we pretty much played just as bad the following week against West Coast, in South Australia. And the Pies game in round 1, well we didn't know Collingwood were going to be middle of the road, did we? As far as we knew we were going to play the reigning premiers on the G in front of 80k fans. No beds were shat.

So I see no pattern or trend to suggest we struggle with the MCG. It's not like we struggle with the bigger ground, given our strong record at grounds like Optus.

I think we have a grand final issue, which happens to take place at the G, and a 'heavy favourites' issue, which has been our undoing at many different grounds.
Under normal circumstances, a premiership favourite playing a bottom 4 lock would be viewed as a foregone conclusion.

But the bookies are giving the Hawks a real chance in this one - the odds say they’re a 1 in 4 chance.

Why?

Because it’s at the MCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back