Not open for further replies.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Preamble

The 2024 version of the Swans have a happy knack of playing to the level of the opposition.

So if that persists, this Sunday's game against the Poo n' Wee will resemble a bunch of u/9 Auskickers doing their best impression of seagulls on a chip.

And yet - there is reason to believe that the Swans can & will get fired up for this one. For I have it on good authority that Horse has stuck a full-sized motivational poster on the SCG dressing room wall:

1713764688316.png

He's a great leader of men, that Horse.

The Details

Time: Sunday, April 28, 4pm
Venue: MCG
Weather: long range forecast is a pleasant, partly cloudy day, 18 degrees ... perfect footy weather. Donza will update as the week progresses.

The Teams

For the Swans, the big question is .....

Will Gus be back???

(sorry, just excuse me for a moment, someone's calling)

Righto, I'm back. My (evidently clueless) editor has just advised that the big question is not whether Gus will be back, but rather:

Will Luke Parker be back???

My personal view - yes he will. But for whom, I have no idea. I'm sure spirited debate will ensue on this very matter in the coming pages.

For Hawthorn, well I don't really care. Sicily will play & we just need to avoid kicking the ball to him. Pretty simple really.

Their midfield consists of Newcombe, Nash, Weddle, Morrison, Maginnes and McDonald - none of whom I could pick out in a line-up.

Oh, and Mitch Lewis might apparently be back.

But regardless of ins & outs, prior to their win last week (over a Dylan Stephens "inspired" Roos outfit), the Hawks were languishing at the foot of the table.

Are they young and improving? Or just no good?

Personally - I think its the later. But as previously noted, we have a tendency to play to the level of the opposition, which is slightly troubling.

And the MCG isn't our friend.

Key Match-Ups

I could attempt to write some key match-ups, but I honestly don't know enough about Hawthorn to write anything credible.

Just don't kick it to Sicily.

And more of Matty Roberts taking the kick-ins. That works.

Tactics

Keep it simple:

1. No more cornrows for Armatey. The 'fro must be maintained.

2. Bring a bit of pressure. Hawthorn isn't Richmond.

3. Don't kick it to Sicily.

The Umpiring

The Melbourne press has been having a good ol' whinge about Jack Ginnivan not being paid high tackle frees. Of course, this is due to his (well-earned) reputation for Oscar-winning overacting every time he's tackled.

However this week, being a game against a non-Victorian club, gives the AFL the perfect opportunity to silence their media critics via the awarding of LOTS of frees to poor Jack Ginnivan.

Its an opportunity that won't be passed up.

To ensure the AFL's wishes are adhered to, expect to see Gianfagna named as a field umpire.

And whilst on the topic of actors, this is a preview written at short (zero) notice & is possibly not the most well-researched or entertaining. So, to make up for it, please accept this completely relevant and on-topic picture of Swans fan, Sydney Sweeney.

1713766820643.png

The Verdict

Will we p*ss it in? The King! certainly thinks so.

Will our mids be up to the challenge? caesar88 has absolutely no doubt that they will.

Can Will Hayward kick a bag? Grand Uncle Horace guarantees it.

But as always - the most balanced view will likely come from Punts.

Fun Fact

Brian Taylor used to delight in calling current Hawthorn coach (and former West Coast great) Sam Mitchell "The Extractor" during his playing days.

BT can f*** right off.

Preamble

The 2024 version of the Swans have a happy knack of playing to the level of the opposition.

So if that persists, this Sunday's game against the Poo n' Wee will resemble a bunch of u/9 Auskickers doing their best impression of seagulls on a chip.

And yet - there is reason to believe that the Swans can & will get fired up for this one. For I have it on good authority that Horse has stuck a full-sized motivational poster on the SCG dressing room wall:

View attachment 1967240

He's a great leader of men, that Horse.

The Details

Time: Sunday, April 28, 4pm
Venue: MCG
Weather: long range forecast is a pleasant, partly cloudy day, 18 degrees ... perfect footy weather. Donza will update as the week progresses.

The Teams

For the Swans, the big question is .....

Will Gus be back???

(sorry, just excuse me for a moment, someone's calling)

Righto, I'm back. My (evidently clueless) editor has just advised that the big question is not whether Gus will be back, but rather:

Will Luke Parker be back???

My personal view - yes he will. But for whom, I have no idea. I'm sure spirited debate will ensue on this very matter in the coming pages.

For Hawthorn, well I don't really care. Sicily will play & we just need to avoid kicking the ball to him. Pretty simple really.

Their midfield consists of Newcombe, Nash, Weddle, Morrison, Maginnes and McDonald - none of whom I could pick out in a line-up.

Oh, and Mitch Lewis might apparently be back.

But regardless of ins & outs, prior to their win last week (over a Dylan Stephens "inspired" Roos outfit), the Hawks were languishing at the foot of the table.

Are they young and improving? Or just no good?

Personally - I think its the later. But as previously noted, we have a tendency to play to the level of the opposition, which is slightly troubling.

And the MCG isn't our friend.

Key Match-Ups

I could attempt to write some key match-ups, but I honestly don't know enough about Hawthorn to write anything credible.

Just don't kick it to Sicily.

And more of Matty Roberts taking the kick-ins. That works.

Tactics

Keep it simple:

1. No more cornrows for Armatey. The 'fro must be maintained.

2. Bring a bit of pressure. Hawthorn isn't Richmond.

3. Don't kick it to Sicily.

The Umpiring

The Melbourne press has been having a good ol' whinge about Jack Ginnivan not being paid high tackle frees. Of course, this is due to his (well-earned) reputation for Oscar-winning overacting every time he's tackled.

However this week, being a game against a non-Victorian club, gives the AFL the perfect opportunity to silence their media critics via the awarding of LOTS of frees to poor Jack Ginnivan.

Its an opportunity that won't be passed up.

To ensure the AFL's wishes are adhered to, expect to see Gianfagna named as a field umpire.

And whilst on the topic of actors, this is a preview written at short (zero) notice & is possibly not the most well-researched or entertaining. So, to make up for it, please accept this completely relevant and on-topic picture of Swans fan, Sydney Sweeney.

View attachment 1967307

The Verdict

Will we p*ss it in? The King! certainly thinks so.

Will our mids be up to the challenge? caesar88 has absolutely no doubt that they will.

Can Will Hayward kick a bag? Grand Uncle Horace guarantees it.

But as always - the most balanced view will likely come from Punts.

Fun Fact

Brian Taylor used to delight in calling current Hawthorn coach (and former West Coast great) Sam Mitchell "The Extractor" during his playing days.

BT can f*** right off.

Magnificent preview.

Sam Mitchell exists to make Clarko the Snarko look a half decent human.

These are like the games especially at the MCG where in the past we dont respect the opposition or try and be to fancy/cute.

I hope we take the Hawks seriously.
I hope we remember 2014 GF and pay back. If the team needs motivation. Time to start smashing sides if we have the ability and the will. Remorseless. Willful destruction of sides has to be undertaken if we are serious about dynasty.

Worst case if Blakey and Adams didn't get up, and Parker is still a week off:

Out: Blakey, Adams
In: Campbell, Sheldrick
Sub: Konstanty or Mitchell

Blakey, Adams probably fine, but wouldn't play them if they're hobbling around this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst case if Blakey and Adams didn't get up, and Parker is still a week off:

Out: Blakey, Adams
In: Campbell, Sheldrick
Sub: Konstanty or Mitchell

Blakey, Adams probably fine, but wouldn't play them if they're hobbling around this week.
Definitely a possible scenario.
Love to bring in Sheldrick but would use Francis for Blakey.
Give Campbell a full game in VFL and use CoWarner or Mitchell as sub, probably Warner for his pace.

Definitely a possible scenario.
Love to bring in Sheldrick but would use Francis for Blakey.
Give Campbell a full game in VFL and use CoWarner or Mitchell as sub, probably Warner for his pace.
Francis is an option. Fox could then say hello to Sicily.

Fox Sports' VERY EARLY preview...

Team Tips: It was hard to find fault in many players from the Swans during their 53-point win over the Suns, in what ended as a well-rounded performance by all. Caleb Mitchell responded strongly to his omission against Gold Coast, compiling 25 disposals, eight marks and two goals in the reserves. Peter Ladhams continues to play at a level above the VFL, but is unlikely to make his way into the side with Grundy fit and firing. Small forward Jacob Konstanty kicked three goals, and looks increasingly ready for an opportunity if it arises. Veteran Luke Parker is yet to resume contact training after his broken arm, and looks to still be a week or two off senior selection.

Parker in for Hayward would be my one change if fit.

Otherwise no changes.

Edit: Just seen Adnico's post. So probably no changes.

Hayward? trying to get most popular mod or something :p

Parker is going to play vfl first when finally back surely 😂 just don't want to see half fit parker struggling
It's looking that way given how long it seems to be taking to recover properly.

However it should be for match fitness, not for form. He walks back in IMO. (And no I don't want him within a ten mile radius of the midfield, but let's be real, he is a gun in general play and forward and better than half the blokes currently in the team.)

It's looking that way given how long it seems to be taking to recover properly.

However it should be for match fitness, not for form. He walks back in IMO. (And no I don't want him within a ten mile radius of the midfield, but let's be real, he is a gun in general play and forward and better than half the blokes currently in the team.)

Yeah that's all I am saying, we saw last year his body was farked by the end of the year- ditto Mills, let's do it properly is all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back