Paps and Blakey dragged by the AFR

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty reasonably, too

In fact, the dynamic duo also takes the piss out of those. “Gamble responsibly and it would be responsible, if possible, to rort each and every promo tool available to you out there,” Dicko says, to Paps laughing along.

This show is not just a charlatan who sells tips for $9.99 per week and one black Swan. No, Paps & Dicko’s first guest on the inaugural episode is another Swans player. Defender Nick Blakey gets roped in, described by Paps as a “gun NRL punter”.

Blakey is a “prodigious talent” according to the Swans’ website, but droning on about scorelines in the upcoming Canberra Raiders game he appears more like a deadshit teen who ripped too many plastic bongs at the Ballina 7Eleven. They later posted on Twitter that the show had entered the top 10 sport podcasts on Spotify.

AFR:Sydney Swans “no d*ckheads” policy stretches thin

Skip paywall: 12ft |

Why 'pretty reasonably'?

So Papley likes having a punt on horse racing. WGAF.

What a miserable article.
He can enjoy it if he likes, no problem with that as it is his life and his money.

OR

He can actively promote it to an audience who more than likely has some who really struggle with their gambling addiction.

I know this will open up a can of worms and I admit that I am a hypocrite because I don't really care about alcohol advertising, but I have personal friends who lost their marriages, their possessions and ended in jail, all starting from a gambling addiction. I also know that alcohol is just as bad (if not worse).

Its a fair enough article considering we accept money as a club from the NSW government to raise awareness of the risks associated with sports gambling.

Its well known Paps is into Horse Racing so an argument could be made either way on the merits of a podcast about betting on Horse Racing. But the stuff with Blakey has no merit considering the sponsorship we have. I trust the club will let both know what is an isn't acceptable and go from there. Not the end of the world as long as they know the risks and make people aware of the risks involved.

We're sponsored by Qatar airways yet champion pride round & inclusivity. Give me a break with the club dictating to the players what they can & can't support. The article is click bait trash. Australian sports is filled with gambling sponsorship & money, yet every single team & organisation highlights the dangers of gambling. Ditto for Alcohol, food etc.

Its a fair enough article considering we accept money as a club from the NSW government to raise awareness of the risks associated with sports gambling.

Its well known Paps is into Horse Racing so an argument could be made either way on the merits of a podcast about betting on Horse Racing. But the stuff with Blakey has no merit considering the sponsorship we have. I trust the club will let both know what is an isn't acceptable and go from there. Not the end of the world as long as they know the risks and make people aware of the risks involved.

They aren't representing the club. The club has no involvement in it. What grounds do the club have to dictate to the players?

They aren't representing the club. The club has no involvement in it. What grounds do the club have to dictate to the players?
There would be a social media policy that they would have to adhere to under their contract. However, a podcast on horse racing / NRL tips seems fairly benign in the scheme of things.

Paps will have a media career in racing if he wants when he retires. Possible he will go into training. He loves the horses.

Daryn Cresswell remains one of my favourite players. He was smart, skilled and bloody tough. I can still see him banging his knee back into place.

But Daryn is an object lesson of the horrors of compulsive gambling. He, friends and family paid a heavy toll.

Hopefully Liz is sensible with his shekels and will pull his head in.

I don't mind Paps interest but hope someone has an ruok check with Liz

Paps will have a media career in racing if he wants when he retires. Possible he will go into training. He loves the horses.

Daryn Cresswell remains one of my favourite players. He was smart, skilled and bloody tough. I can still see him banging his knee back into place.

But Daryn is an object lesson of the horrors of compulsive gambling. He, friends and family paid a heavy toll.

Why does Blakey need an ruok check for liking the same thing Papley likes?

Why does Blakey need an ruok check for liking the same thing Papley likes?

See as entirely different. Papleys interest is the gee gees, inc training and breeding. He has a legit post career in the industry - probably in the mainstream media. This would have been long discussed with and agreed on by the Club.

Personally I think there are fewer risks with racing than sports betting or the pokies. Going to the races, there is a half hour break between bets. Pokies there are seconds.

Blakey is younger than Paps and doubt he sees a career in sports betting.

The AFL & all of it's clubs are an unbalanced contradiction & I would never take any life lessons from them.
Throw in the three strikes rule that couldn't "save" Ben Cousins.
How about one strike & go play another sport pal.
But I guess it helped one of our recently retired stars to a wonderful career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Fitzgerald did an interview on Wil Anderson’s footy podcast a couple of years ago where he talked about how much that whole early 2000s squad was gambling. Sounds like plenty of guys pissed huge amounts of money away on the punt.

Ryan Fitzgerald did an interview on Wil Anderson’s footy podcast a couple of years ago where he talked about how much that whole early 2000s squad was gambling. Sounds like plenty of guys pissed huge amounts of money away on the punt.

Look at gambling ads too, they are squarely targetted at the dumbest members of our society. I have never seen an industry look down on their own consumers more than the gambling industry.

Professional athletes openly promoting sportsbetting is a horrifically s**t look.

You don’t want any credibility questions on if a player is on the take.

Imagine Dave Warner was running a UFC Betting podcast. Would be a laughing stock
Such over the top nonsense.

Papley is just a young bloke giving out his horse racing tips for the weekend on a podcast, that no one is being forced to listen to.

It has no comparison to saturation gambling at the ground or during games on TV that encourage problem gambling. And there is no evidence that he or Blakey are betting on AFL games or taking money from someone.

Horse racing isn't illegal (yet). Gambling on it isn't illegal. Players are allowed to have lives outside of the football club.

Last edited:
See as entirely different. Papleys interest is the gee gees, inc training and breeding. He has a legit post career in the industry - probably in the mainstream media. This would have been long discussed with and agreed on by the Club.

Personally I think there are fewer risks with racing than sports betting or the pokies. Going to the races, there is a half hour break between bets. Pokies there are seconds.

Blakey is younger than Paps and doubt he sees a career in sports betting.
Fair enough. I wouldn't know, I'm not really into gambling or betting and if I was it would be on something with willing participants.

Who cares, they arnt hurting anybody. At least they have the balls to do their own thing rather than the 753 other podcasts that has players crapping on about the same thing.

I find it fascinating that we live in a time where 2 blokes can get criticised for hosting a podcast about their interests but some big man behind a keyboard can write in the article that blakey appears like a deadshit teen.

Some people need to grow up and get on with their own lives

I for one find this sort of the stuff interesting, in not a big gambler but it's cool to get a realistic insight into the players rather than the watered down, sanitised and rehearsed lines they have to spew out week in week out

Ole mate that wrote its a bit of a edgy kent. Hence (once)being in charge of Buzzfeed.

One of the first of the twitter journos.

He's also a moron with questionable ethics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back