Analysis The Stats and nothing but the Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

It's awesome to see both Heeney & Jordon in career best form. Both moves have worked out soo far.

Is this list measured somehow in relation to the rest of their careers? If so, it isn't intrinsically a comment on how well they're playing, only about how well they're playing compared to how well they've played previously. And that could be either exciting or an indictment.

In Heeney's case arguably he has underperformed previously but fortunately he is performing so stratospherically well currently that it is not really a knock on him that he wasn't performing as well previously.

In Jordon's case it suggests that he is thriving in our environment and with selection continuity.

Actually, in almost every case it feels like a positive (probably because it is) but possibly in the case of someone like Harry McKay it does suggest that he was underperforming (which he probably wasn't when he was Coleman medallist but is probably true about last year when he had the yips).

It feels most double-edged with the players who have had the longest careers because it's tempting to think "why did it take them so long?" whereas with young players you go "of course. they're developing".

Thanks for sharing.

Is this list measured somehow in relation to the rest of their careers? If so, it isn't intrinsically a comment on how well they're playing, only about how well they're playing compared to how well they've played previously. And that could be either exciting or an indictment.

In Heeney's case arguably he has underperformed previously but fortunately he is performing so stratospherically well currently that it is not really a knock on him that he wasn't performing as well previously.

In Jordon's case it suggests that he is thriving in our environment and with selection continuity.

Actually, in almost every case it feels like a positive (probably because it is) but possibly in the case of someone like Harry McKay it does suggest that he was underperforming (which he probably wasn't when he was Coleman medallist but is probably true about last year when he had the yips).

It feels most double-edged with the players who have had the longest careers because it's tempting to think "why did it take them so long?" whereas with young players you go "of course. they're developing".

Thanks for sharing.

To their careers. There's a minimum games played requirement. I think it's a good snapshot of their current performance. I only care about the now rather than the past with our best 23 players. Right now those 2 are in career best form for a variety of reasons which is awesome.

Yes it can be misleading in certain situations but I think it's pretty accurate for these 2 players.

I don't understand how we can be 2nd on the table with the highest % and the be in the middle of the road graph wise.
Its rating over the last 5 games. In that time we had a loss and a "bad win" over the Eagles.

Compare our position to the Eagles. In their past 5 games, their average really improved but it was worse than the overall average. Since we didn't "improve" on our average over 5 games we are lower on the Y axis but our average is better than the overall average so we are the furthest team on the X axis.

The reason the graph looks so stupid is because North's last 5 games were so bad AND they are bad in general compared to the overall average, to fit all 18 teams in a nice square means the middle of the graph is actually really far off centre

tl;dr lolNorf and we be chillin

Last edited:
Graph says that we're by a small margin the best team and have been consistently at the same level. The bad news is that teams like GWS and Carlton and Geelong are catching up and will overtake us if all our trajectories remain the same, which of course they won't.

The graph is absolutely horrific for NMFC fans. Terrible and getting worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
Total
Bye
Isaac Heeney
9​
10​
9​
4​
9​
6​
7​
1​
55​
Errol Gulden
5​
6​
9​
2​
5​
7​
34​
Chad Warner
2​
5​
1​
5​
10​
23​
Nick Blakey
5​
9​
5​
19​
Brodie Grundy
9​
9​
18​
Tom Papley
7​
7​
Oliver Florent
2​
5​
7​
Dane Rampe
7​
7​
James Rowbottom
5​
5​
Will Hayward
5​
5​
Justin McInerney
1​
1​
Logan McDonald
1​
1​

G'day Swannies fans. I'm a bit of a stat head and I just thought I'd share this with you all;

I have 25 years worth of data that shows a pretty strong correlation between a teams offensive efficiency (Inside 50s>Goals), their defensive efficiency (Defensive Inside 50s>Opposition Goals) and the differential between the two being a pretty good guide as to how strongly their game will stand up when it really matters in September.

For example; Last year the Pies Off/Eff was 25.31% whilst their Def/Eff was 20.65% which gave them a differential of +4.66 which was by far and away the best in the comp.

Similarly in 2022, the Cats led the way with a +3.17 and the Swans were 2nd with a +3.06

So far this season, Sydney have an Off/Eff of 26.59% and a Def/Eff of 19.55%, a whopping differential of +7.04 which is good for best in the league.

Swans Rd 5_8.jpg

Anyways, pardon the intrusion and best of luck for the rest of the season...cheers

G'day Swannies fans. I'm a bit of a stat head and I just thought I'd share this with you all;

I have 25 years worth of data that shows a pretty strong correlation between a teams offensive efficiency (Inside 50s>Goals), their defensive efficiency (Defensive Inside 50s>Opposition Goals) and the differential between the two being a pretty good guide as to how strongly their game will stand up when it really matters in September.

For example; Last year the Pies Off/Eff was 25.31% whilst their Def/Eff was 20.65% which gave them a differential of +4.66 which was by far and away the best in the comp.

Similarly in 2022, the Cats led the way with a +3.17 and the Swans were 2nd with a +3.06

So far this season, Sydney have an Off/Eff of 26.59% and a Def/Eff of 19.55%, a whopping differential of +7.04 which is good for best in the league.

View attachment 1983614

Anyways, pardon the intrusion and best of luck for the rest of the season...cheers
Thanks! Great stat.

13 Bloods have had coaches votes
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​