Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched the first half again, I am not convinced that Freo was troubled by outside events (apart from Fyfe). They were on fire in the first half. Clearly on top, but Sydney would not let them get a clear shot at goal. They weren’t inaccurate. They were bustled out of it.

How can Blakey not have earned a single coaches’ vote for that game? I had him as BOG, narrowly ahead of Heeney.

And surely Chad had far more impact on the result than Serong? One was industrious and found the ball a lot. The other made things happen.

One slight concern:

After the game all the players wander over and hand out footies to the Swans fans.

As they came over, Melican was walking like an 80 year old in need of a Zimmer frame.

Didn’t appear to be a hammy or anything - he just looked like a bloke that was banged up and really, really sore.
Last couple of weeks he's come off for attention during the game. Must be banged up a little, not great with Tommy McC to miss again this week.

How can Blakey not have earned a single coaches’ vote for that game? I had him as BOG, narrowly ahead of Heeney.

And surely Chad had far more impact on the result than Serong? One was industrious and found the ball a lot. The other made things happen.
They were fairly even in the stats but Serong did get more of the ball (also more efficient) and 7 score involvements (Warner had 4). Maybe that’s what differentiates them.

COACHES VOTES

8 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
8 Oliver Florent (SYD)
6 Caleb Serong (FRE)
5 Chad Warner (SYD)
3 James Jordon (SYD)

COACHES VOTES

8 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
8 Oliver Florent (SYD)
6 Caleb Serong (FRE)
5 Chad Warner (SYD)
3 James Jordon (SYD)
Sometimes I think the coaches are so engrossed in the game tactics and everything else going on (as they have to be!), they can't possibly be looking at individual performances .... so they award votes after looking at the stats post-game.

Heeney played well. No doubt. As did Serong. And the stats say they got a lot of pill. But personally, I really didn't feel they were the most influential players on the ground.

Having said that - I'd rather the Brownlow be awarded based on coaches' votes, rather than umpire's votes any day.

Sometimes I think the coaches are so engrossed in the game tactics and everything else going on (as they have to be!), they can't possibly be looking at individual performances .... so they award votes after looking at the stats post-game.

Heeney played well. No doubt. As did Serong. And the stats say they got a lot of pill. But personally, I really didn't feel they were the most influential players on the ground.

Having said that - I'd rather the Brownlow be awarded based on coaches' votes, rather than umpire's votes any day.
Would the coaches votes be influenced by the line coaches’ assessment? When are they submitted? Is there a bit of time for reflection ?

Think they got it right but swap Jordan and Serong’s votes. I only thought Blakey was “okay”

We discussed this in Pugnacious family match review too. Our theory is he takes the bounce when the opportunity is there to give him the next 15m clear to run/evade.

Which is actually quite clever when it works but looks a bit silly/risky in slippery conditions or when he takes 3 bounces in about 8m.

Chad also has this weird short step kicking style which looks like it would have no power, and yet bombed one from outside 50 this week.
Some players kick through the ball with a full leg extension of the lower leg. Warner kicks the ball with a snap of his lower leg before it reaches full extension, transferring his momentum into the kick like the end of a whip. The great Bloods ex-captain Stuey Maxfield had a similar short sharp kicking style and would frequently kick goals from outside 50. Campbell's style is similar. It's a very powerful technique when kicking on the run.

Fun fact : My uncle was a horse trainer. He taught me to move safely behind a horse by staying very close and holding tight to its tail at its rump (yes where the s**t sticks). The horse cannot get any speed into a kick from so close, and it can't get the separation it needs for a better kick provided you hang on tight to its tail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some players kick through the ball with a full leg extension of the lower leg. Warner kicks the ball with a snap of his lower leg before it reaches full extension, transferring his momentum into the kick like the end of a whip. The great Bloods ex-captain Stuey Maxfield had a similar short sharp kicking style and would frequently kick goals from outside 50. Campbell's style is similar. It's a very powerful technique when kicking on the run.
Fond memories of Stuey kicking them from the arc of the 50 in front of the members.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Fun fact : My uncle was a horse trainer. He taught me to move safely behind a horse by staying very close and holding tight to its tail at its rump (yes where the s**t sticks). The horse cannot get any speed into a kick from so close, and it can't get the separation it needs for a better kick provided you hang on tight to its tail.
Love it, great analysis

That early Heeney tackle on Fyfe was inspiring. For me, it really set the tone for the team, like "We've come to play"

I was reminded of a powerful lion taking down a much larger prey. Fyfe turns his body in an attempt to shake Heeney's vice-like grip, which just serves to amplify Heeney's momentum as he pulls him down and rides him into the ground. Did the media rave about that tackle? Did they go over that game and comment on how complete our performance was? Feck no, the only mention we got we about why the game should have been cancelled, as if we cheated, then they went back to showing endless footage of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, with highlights of Bobby Hill ducking for high tackles in a performance that would bring a tear to Jack Ginnivan.

Meanwhile, in my imagination....Fly strolls into the Collingwood change room pondering aloud "Now Ginni's gone, we need someone who can quickly drop to their knees and earn us high tackle frees near goal?" The only player left in the room, Hill takes his cue and quickly drops to his knees. "That's it, Bobby, yes, very nice. The umpires will love that".

Having watched the first half again, I am not convinced that Freo was troubled by outside events (apart from Fyfe). They were on fire in the first half. Clearly on top, but Sydney would not let them get a clear shot at goal. They weren’t inaccurate. They were bustled out of it.
I agree that they didn't really get any easy shots. They were either forced very wise, snaps under pressure or both.

Not sure about not being troubled by outside events though. We'll never really know what kind of impact it had.

That early Heeney tackle on Fyfe was inspiring. For me, it really set the tone for the team, like "We've come to play"

I was reminded of a powerful lion taking down a much larger prey. Fyfe turns his body in an attempt to shake Heeney's vice-like grip, which just serves to amplify Heeney's momentum as he pulls him down and rides him into the ground. Did the media rave about that tackle? Did they go over that game and comment on how complete our performance was? Feck no, the only mention we got we about why the game should have been cancelled, as if we cheated, then they went back to showing endless footage of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, with highlights of Bobby Hill ducking for high tackles in a performance that would bring a tear to Jack Ginnivan.

Meanwhile, in my imagination....Fly strolls into the Collingwood change room pondering aloud "Now Ginni's gone, we need someone who can quickly drop to their knees and earn us high tackle frees near goal?" The only player left in the room, Hill takes his cue and quickly drops to his knees. "That's it, Bobby, yes, very nice. The umpires will love that".
Love that first bit M. Duck. The effect of those plays on teammates is huge. Lifts the team.
Go back to Hannebery's mark in 2012. Just about everyone remembers it and the effect it had.
The only media that ever mentions that sort of stuff is the Mongrel Punt. Others might mention a mark or a goal.

Heeney started the best, and was our best to the point the game was won (IMO)? so that makes him most influential I guess?

I agree that they didn't really get any easy shots. They were either forced very wise, snaps under pressure or both.

Not sure about not being troubled by outside events though. We'll never really know what kind of impact it had.
The point I was making was they started stronger. They were the dominant team in the first quarter (despite the score). But yeah, Fyfe was clearly a mess and it is impossible to know what was really happening for the rest of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back