Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Cornes saying if we played dees in a granny this week they’d win, I mean sure but we don’t have Walsh Martin or Motlop right now

They are our bunnies the dees

Good side but, think it would be great for the afl if it was a dees blues granny
Giants and Swans are better than the Dees anyway so I'm not too fussed. Think we can match it with any team on our day without going in favourites.

Lots of talk around our clearance game being a concern atm.

Anyone else think we might be deliberately sacrificing some of that in order to improve our scoring off turnover?

Two part I believe

1, absolutely, clubs strive to improve their turnover game, as scoring by the better sides represents 2/3rds from turnovers

2, Pitto is a better tap ruckmen, supplying the ball to better representation to advantage, while minimising taps to poor areas

Two part I believe

1, absolutely, clubs strive to improve their turnover game, as scoring by the better sides represents 2/3rds from turnovers

2, Pitto is a better tap ruckmen, supplying the ball to better representation to advantage, while minimising taps to poor areas
What does turnover vs clearance game look like on the footy field in terms of differing setups, directives by the coach etc?

AFL HOUSE WANT CARLTON TO WIN!!!

200.gif

Amazing that is the narrative attached to Carlton after going through the last decade and a half of “Free kick Geelong”, “Free kick Hawthorn”, “Free kick Richmond”, “Free kick Sydney”, “Free kick Collingwood”, “Free kick Bulldogs” at different periods.

Amazing that is the narrative attached to Carlton after going through the last decade and a half of “Free kick Geelong”, “Free kick Hawthorn”, “Free kick Richmond”, “Free kick Sydney”, “Free kick Collingwood”, “Free kick Bulldogs” at different periods.
If you follow the NRL same thing happens each year to the Storm if they’re being successful - And they’ve been the most successful team of the last 20 years.
It’s predominately created / borne from excuses as to why others aren’t as successful, and that there has to be reasons for this. It’s simpleton based, appeals to the masses, and drives clicks and eyes to the media that nurture it.

Saw this post on the * board (What can I say, I like reading it after their big losses) and thought it was very interesting. Back in some of the years listed there was a lot of doom and gloom but maybe it wasn't so bad, its funny to think that other supporters looked at us as a team that looses well (lets not go back to 2015-2018 to check though haha)

I looked at some comparisons of big margins between Essendon and Carlton over the last 5 seasons. I'll also add Collingwood who were average in 2021 and 2022 for comparison to see how the reigning premiers fared in the lead up to a premiership.

Carlton losses above 36 points

2020: (11th with a record of 7-10)
No losses above 31 points

2021: (13th with a record of 8-14)
95 points away vs Port
39 points vs North Melbourne

2022: (9th with a record of 12-10)
No losses above 35 points

2023: (5th with a record of 13-1-9)
56 points away vs Adelaide

Collingwood losses above 36 points

2020 (8th with a record of 9-1-8)
Melbourne 56 points at the Gabba
West Coast 66 points away
Geelong 68 points at the Gabba

2021 (17th with a record of 6-16)
38 points to Essendon (dead rubber game)
85 points to Brisbane away

2022 (4th with a record of 16-6)
48 points to Bulldogs

2023 (1st with a record of 18-5)
No losses above 33 points

Meanwhile, Essendon played finals during that time.

Essendon losses above 36 points

(13th with a record of 6-1-10)
42 points vs Bulldogs
50 points away vs Port
63 points vs Brisbane
66 points vs Geelong

2021 (finals - 8th with a record of 11-11)
39 points vs Richmond
41 points vs Geelong
49 points vs Bulldogs (EF)
54 points vs Port away
57 points vs Brisbane away

2022 (15th with a record of 7-15)
48 points vs Fremantle
58 points vs Sydney away
66 points vs Geelong
66 points vs Richmond
84 points vs Port

2023 (11th with a record of 11-12)
41 points vs Bulldogs
42 points vs Brisbane away
70 points vs Collingwood
77 points vs Geelong
126 points vs GWS

Let's go back to 2019 when we played finals and Carlton were bottom 4 bad.

Carlton losses above 35 points (16th with a record of 7-15):
41 points vs Essendon
58 points vs North Melbourne
68 points vs Geelong
93 points vs GWS

Essendon losses above 35 points (played finals and finished 8th with a record of 12-10):
55 points vs West Coast (EF)

59 points vs Port
72 points vs GWS away
104 points vs Bulldogs

Why does a bottom 4 side with 5 more losses have less severe losses than a top 8 side? Carlton's PF finish and Collingwood's premiership wasn't surprising to anyone paying attention to how they were losing. Also, how Essendon finished the year wasn't surprising either to anyone paying attention to how Essendon lose.

Look at AFL tables and this has been happening every single year since 2001.

Lots of talk around our clearance game being a concern atm.

Anyone else think we might be deliberately sacrificing some of that in order to improve our scoring off turnover?

Make no difference from centre bounce, we were awesome out of there last year (and around the ground) but pox this year.

If we find our clearance game again we are unbeatable, I was stressing preseason that was our only way as I’d seen nothing to suggest we could do it any other way…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two part I believe

I’m convinced Pitto is a big part of the clearance problem, maybe that affects the turnover game…I’m not ruling that out, but I want to see Pitto in real soon to have a real good look with TDK taking the SOS role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m convinced Pitto is a big part of the clearance problem, maybe that affects the turnover game…I’m not ruling that out, but I want to see Pitto in real soon to have a real good look with TDK taking the SOS role.

You might get your wish sooner than expected

If you follow the NRL same thing happens each year to the Storm if they’re being successful - And they’ve been the most successful team of the last 20 years.
It’s predominately created / borne from excuses as to why others aren’t as successful, and that there has to be reasons for this. It’s simpleton based, appeals to the masses, and drives clicks and eyes to the media that nurture it.
The club thats allowed to cheat the cap but took the piss and cheated the system so bad they got stripped ? One that is still given cap leniency by the nrl because storm fans are so fickle if they're not in the top few the club will collapse? Yyeeeeah.....

The club thats allowed to cheat the cap but took the piss and cheated the system so bad they got stripped ? One that is still given cap leniency by the nrl because storm fans are so fickle if they're not in the top few the club will collapse? Yyeeeeah.....
Tell me “I barrack for a perennial battling NSW NRL club without telling me I barrack for a NSW perennial battling NRL club?”

Looks like this has hit a nerve ST?

Can’t be denied that they were cooking the books, that much has played out. They’ve worn their licks for that as you outline.

Have to admire the way they instantly took that punishment and immediately became a powerhouse of the NRL once again.

The professionalism in the way the club is run, and the success it has had, should be celebrated and admired, and used as a blueprint, rather than despised by the old school amateur run boys clubs that make up the majority of NSW NRL.

Most wouldn’t contain the managerial brainpower to turn on a light.

What better breeding ground for tall poppy syndrome, and the “If we can’t do it, let’s despise and loath those that can” mentality.

Your hatred for the Storm must play out in some form of conflict for you when you marry that up with your support of Carlton and its sins of the past.

Really wouldn’t be too much stone throwing going on between the two.

Lots of doomsday operators here.

We’ve lost 1 game,have some injuries and apparently now won’t win a game for weeks.

Have we not learnt anything over the past 9 months.Bit of belief please.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think it's just a comfortable place for everyone to be in given our recent history. It's just a default position and panic sets in. We also have been playing pretty close to the edge so far this season.

I do agree with you though, we should give them the benefit of the doubt given we made a prelim.

I think it's just a comfortable place for everyone to be in given our recent history. It's just a default position and panic sets in. We also have been playing pretty close to the edge so far this season.

I do agree with you though, we should give them the benefit of the doubt given we made a prelim.
Also last year we were 3.5-0 compared to 4-0 playing in somewhat a similar vein and then we know what happened the next 9 games. I think a lot of us are just frustrated that after 20 years of pain that we still can't relax fully and trust the team, I know I'm always on the edge watching our games even if we're 4 goals in front with 2 minutes to go. Second half of last year was great, but they had nothing to lose and gave it everything and still we held on in a lot of tight games and had a few moments that worked out for us.

Also last year we were 3.5-0 compared to 4-0 playing in somewhat a similar vein and then we know what happened the next 9 games. I think a lot of us are just frustrated that after 20 years of pain that we still can't relax fully and trust the team, I know I'm always on the edge watching our games even if we're 4 goals in front with 2 minutes to go. Second half of last year was great, but they had nothing to lose and gave it everything and still we held on in a lot of tight games and had a few moments that worked out for us.

No we weren't...

Whilst we haven't been setting the world on fire, we def aren't playing similar to our start last year. Our execution needs to improve no doubt, but the tackle numbers this year have been great in every match. Last year when we beat the Giants by 10 behinds, we laid 39 tackles.

The intent is there, we have shifted focus to scoring on turn over rather than through clearances and that will take some getting used to.

Funnily enough, I was feeling pretty confident when we had < 1 goal leads over the Lions and Tigers. Even the Freo match, I had this feeling we would get it done.

No we weren't...

Whilst we haven't been setting the world on fire, we def aren't playing similar to our start last year. Our execution needs to improve no doubt, but the tackle numbers this year have been great in every match. Last year when we beat the Giants by 10 behinds, we laid 39 tackles.

The intent is there, we have shifted focus to scoring on turn over rather than through clearances and that will take some getting used to.

Funnily enough, I was feeling pretty confident when we had < 1 goal leads over the Lions and Tigers. Even the Freo match, I had this feeling we would get it done.

Yeah, I agree. Feel our system looks a lot more solid this year. Moving the ball much better and look the more dangerous team even when not dominating the game. The fact our victories (and one loss) have been so narrow is more down to oppopsition (Brisbane & Freo) and not taking advantage of our opportunities / dumb errors (Richmond, Adelaide). I am confident if we keep going on the current track, we win more often than not. Main concern now is whether we can maintain it without so many key personnel.

Last year early we looked super scrappy. Gameplan was disjointed. We were dominating around the ball and just hacking it forward. Winning through sheer weight of opportunitties. Super inefficient and never sustainable.

I was walking back to work from a coffee run in Kew this morning, when I walked past a gentleman trying to take a selfie in front of a poster of a Carlton player holding up the cup from a premiership around the 70s.

He asked my friend to take the photo for him and send it to him as his phone wouldn’t work.

I made a joke about the good old days when we would win grand finals, we had a brief chat and it turned out to be Laurie Kerr, team of the century members, son.

He joked he was too fat and slow to follow in his fathers footsteps.

Not sure the stats from 2 or even last season are relevant, as the turnover layers were really only cemented this year

Yes, more relevant how you are playing versus who, but the better metric is when, which encompasses both
and if the team kicked straight - the analysis would exist...

I have zero respect for after-the-result anal ists who change their tune week to week according to the "vibe".

and if the team kicked straight - the analysis would exist...

I have zero respect for after-the-result anal ists who change their tune week to week according to the "vibe".

Two things can be true at the same time though JaB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back