Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

So if we end up playing in a prelim from 5th the season is a fail?

The point I’m trying to make is that we need to finish top 4 and preferably stay in Melbourne for the finals.

Finishing outside the top 4 will more than likely mean we go through Sydney/GWS away and lions if they get going.

Of course it’s still very early but both swans and giants look pretty good at this stage.

If we think top 8 is a pass for this side (barring injuries) then we’re going backwards imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The point I’m trying to make is that we need to finish top 4 and preferably stay in Melbourne for the finals.

Finishing outside the top 4 will more than likely mean we go through Sydney/GWS away and lions if they get going.

Of course it’s still very early but both swans and giants look pretty good at this stage.

If we think top 8 is a pass for this side (barring injuries) then we’re going backwards imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the point is that we decide if the season is a fail or not after finals, not after the H&A season.

If your are paying $3500 for a gold sponsorship, you want your player to be at the dinner. Platinum is even more.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You probably also want them back on the field as soon as possible, so if the club determines that their injury/rehab/mental state benefits from them not attending then I guess you should probably suck it up?

And to be fair, I reckon if you're dropping a few grand on a player sponsorship and said player can't make it to a key event at which you'd normally get some cuddle access, if you contacted the club and politely explained the situation they'd probably pull some strings to set you up with a bit of one-on-one time at a later date when the player is available. Probably comes down to how entitled you come across when speaking with the club rep, though...

(Not suggesting you need to suck it up, or that you're entitled, as I have no idea if you're even speaking from personal experience here or just as some general feedback.)

If your are paying $3500 for a gold sponsorship, you want your player to be at the dinner. Platinum is even more.

It's one thing for sponsors to be there but they have over 900 people in attendance to the Hall of Fame dinner - Cripps would have taken photos and signed something for about 200 of them over the course of the night. I think if it was just sponsors he probably would have attended. He also would have had to stand up for photos etc at every interval for food so I don't know how good that would be on his back.

I swear sponsorships have gone up in cost too since the last time I checked!

You probably also want them back on the field as soon as possible, so if the club determines that their injury/rehab/mental state benefits from them not attending then I guess you should probably suck it up?

And to be fair, I reckon if you're dropping a few grand on a player sponsorship and said player can't make it to a key event at which you'd normally get some cuddle access, if you contacted the club and politely explained the situation they'd probably pull some strings to set you up with a bit of one-on-one time at a later date when the player is available. Probably comes down to how entitled you come across when speaking with the club rep, though...

(Not suggesting you need to suck it up, or that you're entitled, as I have no idea if you're even speaking from personal experience here or just as some general feedback.)
Yeah. And also the club does try to shift things around to make others accessible.

The player I sponsored wasn't able to make a dinner a few years ago (was my first year doing, so I was really looking forward to it). But credit to him, he called me the day before and explained the situation and I went along anyway and ended having dinner with Doch and Charlie instead.

It's swings and roundabouts. If you have been a sponsor for a while it's not as important as you have access/contact throughout the year.

Some players dislikes these events and will leave at the first opportunity. Sos being one. Hates the good old boys constantly reminiscing about his old man and comparing Jack to Steve. His sponsors know this and understand.

Getting back on topic, there are several events for sponsors throughout the year but there are only two with access to the players.

If you get on with the player then it's fine as you can chat more often.

But I often think about the poor draftee we had sit on our table a few years ago with his sponsor and the conversation was very stilted and uncomfortable. Probably due to the are tap as the young fella would have been about 18 at the time and his sponsor looked well over 70.

I have heard that some players are horrible to sponsor because they just don't respond or interact at all even when sitting at the same table.

But that has not been my experience.

Edit: Mods, just realised I've been replying into the bluehealers. Please move to the appropriate thread. Or dont. Do what you want.

Last edited:
Whether we win both or drop one of them, would it be the difference of what we can achieve at the pointy end?

Personally i'd say no
Dropping one isn't the issue.

I want us to have faith in our side to get the job done consistently.

There will be the odd aberration but going in and taking care of business with no fuss is where you want to be as a side.

We should be knocking over middle of the road teams. Over the last decade or so we haven't really done that. We've pulled one out and beaten teams above us then gotten ahead of ourselves and dropped games to lowly sides.

Yes, this is a different team. But we haven't done anything yet.

Yeah. And also the club does try to shift things around to make others accessible.

The player I sponsored wasn't able to make a dinner a few years ago (was my first year doing, so I was really looking forward to it). But credit to him, he called me the day before and explained the situation and I went along anyway and ended having dinner with Doch and Charlie instead.

It's swings and roundabouts. If you have been a sponsor for a while it's not as important as you have access/contact throughout the year.

Some players dislikes these events and will leave at the first opportunity. Sos being one. Hates the good old boys constantly reminiscing about his old man and comparing Jack to Steve. His sponsors know this and understand.

Getting back on topic, there are several events for sponsors throughout the year but there are only two with access to the players.

If you get on with the player then it's fine as you can chat more often.

But I often think about the poor draftee we had sit on our table a few years ago with his sponsor and the conversation was very stilted and uncomfortable. Probably due to the are tap as the young fella would have been about 18 at the time and his sponsor looked well over 70.

I have heard that some players are horrible to sponsor because they just don't respond or interact at all even when sitting at the same table.

But that has not been my experience.

Edit: Mods, just realised I've been replying into the bluehealers. Please move to the appropriate thread. Or dont. Do what you want.

I can confirm one senior player is very disengaged with his Sponsors and is the last to arrive and the first to leave
He has a high turnover of sponsors

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can confirm one senior player is very disengaged with his Sponsors and is the last to arrive and the first to leave

Give us a hint!

Make it very cryptic like, just the jumper number or some other obscure detail!!!

There’s a Blue Abroad W Show that covers the Carlton team and AFLW competition done by 2 young ladies Kirra Johnson who I’ve seen on Terry’s show and Shannon ? who hosts the podcast shows, both are great to listen to, both know their footy, very knowledgeable on the players and the game…
They mentioned in an episode I’ve only just recently come across and watched on YouTube that the show also picked up a sponsor during the year by the Carlton cheer squad, Terry has done a great job in putting together another enjoyable show that covers the women’s team and football in general…

Don't forget the Besties!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more the show evolves you can see Terry is more angling the connections and club hierarchy. He is now more shrewd with negative views on whether his words will have real club ramifications. Tez is being rewarded like attendance to closed training sessions. It's great to see all this unfold. Where will Terry end up in 5-10 years time. A rank and file supporter or someone who ends up in a coterie like group or maybe even a board member if he can get more followers.

I'm born in 91, so all I can actually remember is the pain and disappointment.

To be honest, I myself am more satisfied with where the club is at than I've ever been.

I suppose that is reflecting in a more positive tone.

Circle back to 2020/21 content and you'll see the panic I felt. There was a paranoia that we were going to "ruin" another rebuild.

Thanks for the support. All feedback is welcomed.

I agree to an extent. Some of the people he has on the channel, especially on fan cams are very over the top, theatrical and can be quite irritating. The BA Show is great, and some of the guests he has on (Pom and Paolo amongst them), are very well spoken, well thought out, and efficient in getting their points across, which makes for brilliant viewing. Terry comes across as very genuine and intelligent, and seems willing to correct people if he believes there's a flaw in someones point.

There's been a noticeable exhaustion of BA viewers/creators towards the "anti-Andrew Russell" and '"anti-Voss" narratives, and I think that has come partially from Terry and his willingness to push the conversation into a more positive direction. It seems like the channel is taking a much more mature path in recent months. And I must say, I love it

Thanks a lot.

The entire channel has been a journey of listening, learning and evolving.

My belief is the stability of the club as a whole should be viewed in a positive light.

I sense a bit of "footy trauma" still lingers with the supporter base and certain behaviours lean into searching for something to be mad at.

I haven't yet figured out if this is just due to the decades of disappointment and frustration making it hard for some of the community to "forgive" what happened on-field, or if it's just a microcosm of a society that is more interested in looking at what's wrong with any given situation and taking out the frustrations in their own life on someone/something else.

Time will tell.

I like Terry and Blue Abroad and can see where Terry is ultimately trying to take the show but those Fan Cams get very 'blokey' and like I'm watching an episode of Fat Pizza (bro this, bro that).

The Monday night show is a good listen and Pommy and his scattergun delivery is good value. Without sounding snobbish, I can see Terry trying to make the show more 'highbrow' as it continues to evolve but he obviously needs to be careful not to alienate his core audience.

Never assume - always feel free to reach out and gain clarity.

Thanks for your support!

The blokes I've had have both been pretty good.

But I have heard some ordinary stories.

What do sponsor's usually contribute exactly?
The players are on very good money, and the club isn't exactly struggling, is it more of a token gesture to allow some supporters 'extra' closeness to certain players?

What do sponsor's usually contribute exactly?
The players are on very good money, and the club isn't exactly struggling, is it more of a token gesture to allow some supporters 'extra' closeness to certain players?
I doubt the money goes to the players. I think it's just a way of the club giving access to players to fans.

This is what you get for a fold sponsorship:

YOUR SPONSORSHIP INCLUDES
Two tickets to an exclusive Carlton Football Club pre-season event seated with your sponsored player

One ticket to the Gold Guernsey Club inner sanctum event with the players at IKON Park

Two tickets to a Carlton Football Club match-day function (Round TBA)

One Carlton Football Club match-issued guernsey signed by your sponsored player at the conclusion of the season

One Guernsey Club scarf with your sponsored player's guernsey number

Recognition on the player profile page on the Carlton Football Club website

Home match-day recognition in the player profile on the big screen

Welcome letter from your sponsored player

Official photo with your sponsored player at the pre-season event

Cost:
$3100 or $3600 for a marquee player

I have direct and indirect contact with some of the players
One in particular is a very strange guy who is very difficult to talk with about any subject
Other players are fantastic company and always friendly and engaging with great stories about life on and off the field

One in particular is a very strange guy who is very difficult to talk with about any subject
Other players are fantastic company and always friendly and engaging with great stories about life on and off the field

just like any group of people really

Some of them are very good value. Then others, you can tell they are trying really hard to be on their best behaviour, which seems to be a challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back