Universal Love Footy Related Things we are still cranky about -

Remove this Banner Ad

Two games vs Hawks:

1. It's been a battle all day at the 'G, but with a minute or two left on the clock, we have our noses in front by less than a goal. The ball is exiting our defensive 50 with Dean Rice taking a slow jog along the boundary line. He had free players, he had time, he could have hoofed it a long way away, but he decides to take a bounce. Suddenly, the options are closing down, and so he dinks a kick to a contest near the boundary. The ball goes out, and like a slow motion car crash, the ball goes to Dixon, 40m out, straight in front of goal and he drills it.

Devastated, and although I loved him as a player, I'm still bloody cranky at Rice!

2. Another one in the extended line of defeats by the Hawks - at a packed 'G in the last row of the nose bleeds, another super close game, but this time we were behind, watching Fev mark, go back and kick a huge drop punt to win us the game, and somehow, with my dodgy eyesight, a mile away from the ball, I saw it hit the post, but right at that moment, the entire Carlton supporters leaped up in ecstasy, only to fall back into their seats crestfallen.

Wasn't cranky at anyone really, just cranky we could never beat the Hawks in those years.

Two games vs Hawks:

1. It's been a battle all day at the 'G, but with a minute or two left on the clock, we have our noses in front by less than a goal. The ball is exiting our defensive 50 with Dean Rice taking a slow jog along the boundary line. He had free players, he had time, he could have hoofed it a long way away, but he decides to take a bounce. Suddenly, the options are closing down, and so he dinks a kick to a contest near the boundary. The ball goes out, and like a slow motion car crash, the ball goes to Dixon, 40m out, straight in front of goal and he drills it.

Devastated, and although I loved him as a player, I'm still bloody cranky at Rice!

2. Another one in the extended line of defeats by the Hawks - at a packed 'G in the last row of the nose bleeds, another super close game, but this time we were behind, watching Fev mark, go back and kick a huge drop punt to win us the game, and somehow, with my dodgy eyesight, a mile away from the ball, I saw it hit the post, but right at that moment, the entire Carlton supporters leaped up in ecstasy, only to fall back into their seats crestfallen.

Wasn't cranky at anyone really, just cranky we could never beat the Hawks in those years.

Does anyone remember that the hawks runners and staff used to wear dark polos with a tiny bit of yellow trim? maybe 2014ish.

I can't find footage but I seem to remember Heath Scotland kicking to an all dark clad Hawthorn doctor in acres of space on the wing...

Still pisses me off that they were allowed to wear and enter the field of play in kits so resembling their opponents.

Next one that makes me cranky is from over freaking 40 years ago.

Actually, I am not sure cranky is sufficient. Pure fury is closer.

Any time I see Neil Balme, or hear his name, the reddest of red mists clouds my eyes and brain.

Those evil king hits on Southby, McKay and Keogh were some of the most heinous acts committed on a football field, and to my eyes, were the only reason we lost a 2nd consecutive flag.

Also Bartlett's entire career, spent dropping the ball and flinging his arms back, and somehow gets called a champion, when he is really just cheating flog from that club of flogs, that also makes me cranky.

And then, to cranky up the cranky, that useless dirt bag gets a statue outside the 'G before Jesaulenko. Utter disgrace.

Next one that makes me cranky is from over freaking 40 years ago.

Actually, I am not sure cranky is sufficient. Pure fury is closer.

Any time I see Neil Balme, or hear his name, the reddest of red mists clouds my eyes and brain.

Those evil king hits on Southby, McKay and Keogh were some of the most heinous acts committed on a football field, and to my eyes, were the only reason we lost a 2nd consecutive flag.

Also Bartlett's entire career, spent dropping the ball and flinging his arms back, and somehow gets called a champion, when he is really just cheating flog from that club of flogs, that also makes me cranky.

And then, to cranky up the cranky, that useless dirt bag gets a statue outside the 'G before Jesaulenko. Utter disgrace.
Bartlett... champion flog and troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 3, 2004 against the Kangaroos at the MCG. The last minute still irks me with Houlihan's on the full off the back of his boot, Daniel Wells' goal from outside 50 to steal it and then not been given a 50 metre penalty with the centre square free kick straight after that goal when the Kangaroos player ran through the mark.
Wasn't a special match by any means but just felt like so much went against us late in that game and I was there with a couple of mates who are Kangaroos supporters so was not a great trip home.

That we have an innate ability to turn Ben Keays into prime Kouta every time we play the ******* Crows
Ya gotta be ******* kidding me…

Scum should have been deregistered after doping almost their entire list. They knew what they were doing was questionable at best, intentionally illegal at worst. Every player who participated should have rightfully copped a 4 year ban, and every coach/official should have been banned for life.

The cover up, media pile on of ASADA, and rewarding them with an #1 pick added fuel to the dumpster fire that is my pure hatred of that club. Every time I see Tim Watson strutting around my gym, it takes every fibre of my being to not unload on that arrogant pr*ck.

Scum should have been deregistered after doping almost their entire list. They knew what they were doing was questionable at best, intentionally illegal at worst. Every player who participated should have rightfully copped a 4 year ban, and every coach/official should have been banned for life.

The cover up, media pile on of ASADA, and rewarding them with an #1 pick added fuel to the dumpster fire that is my pure hatred of that club. Every time I see Tim Watson strutting around my gym, it takes every fibre of my being to not unload on that arrogant pr*ck.
They got off very lightly
Effectively their first rounder got moved back approximately 10 spots that year.
The whole top up player thing o pissed me off too, allowed them to cast the net far and wide while retaining the drugged up players for the next season
Oh and access to pick one the next year.

All the banned players should have been treated as delisted free agents and/or if not recruited by another team forced to the national draft

Whole thing should have been cataclysmic instead it presented opportunities they managed to bungle.
A small consolation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back