Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see where man baby Max Laughton has us in the weekly Fox Footy Power rankings. Dropped us 5 spots last week for our loss to Adelaide yet somehow put Freo above us for losing to Port Adelaide... Up there with Jon Ralph as the biggest Carlton hater in the media.
Never heard of him tbh.
Why anyone would care about journalists opinions? They are reactive without any thought process or proper analysis. If we beat Geelong this week watch the media turn up the premiership flag favourites tag all of a sudden.

Realistically it was fairly obvious we were going to try and win using the crash and bash clearance model from 2023 because we were missing arguably our 3 best users in Cerra Saad and Mcgovern.

I'm wrapped with how we went about it yesterday, there was absolutely no way we win vs the Giants playing the turnover game over a full match with the names we were missing. Going back to what we know can work with the names we still had was a masterful choice.

I don’t understand why if you can obliterate teams in the clearances like we can why you wouldn’t hone in on it? The game is about winning the ball and then keeping it and keeping it locked in your forward half. Teams wish they had our power around the ball.

I don’t understand this infatuation with the turnover game … the stats are skewed in that way as not many teams have a clear advantage in the stoppages … with cripps Walsh Hewett Kennedy Cerra there’s not many midfields that can go head to head with us and beat us in the stoppages.., hence the stoppage numbers are heavily skewed in our favour and given our dominance in the area our scores from stoppage will always be above average as well given the volume of ball that’s won in that area by us.

It’s a fallacy this profile bulldust Hoyne and CD spout … every team would take beating the living daylights out of GWS in the middle of the ground yesterday rather than going toe to toe and hoping to beat them in a turnover contest.

You win the ball In the stoppage, you get the ball forward and you lock it In your forward half.

“Lies, damed lies and statistics” comes to mind with this whole turnover game panacea. Granted we probably needed to improve on it (and we have) but if and when we salute they’ll be talking about Cripps and Walsh dominating the midfield and Charlie and Harry dominating tnt skies. That’s what wins this team premierships!

Away from the numbers, the eye test so far this year, shows that our pressure and press is better organised.

Players trust/know the system and we can shuffle magnets when needed, even to cover injuries like Chugga playing back when Williams came off

One, solid gameplan with a number of tactics/levers that players have confidence in executing

I don’t understand why if you can obliterate teams in the clearances like we can why you wouldn’t hone in on it? The game is about winning the ball and then keeping it and keeping it locked in your forward half. Teams wish they had our power around the ball.

I don’t understand this infatuation with the turnover game … the stats are skewed in that way as not many teams have a clear advantage in the stoppages … with cripps Walsh Hewett Kennedy Cerra there’s not many midfields that can go head to head with us and beat us in the stoppages.., hence the stoppage numbers are heavily skewed in our favour and given our dominance in the area our scores from stoppage will always be above average as well given the volume of ball that’s won in that area by us.

It’s a fallacy this profile bulldust Hoyne and CD spout … every team would take beating the living daylights out of GWS in the middle of the ground yesterday rather than going toe to toe and hoping to beat them in a turnover contest.

You win the ball In the stoppage, you get the ball forward and you lock it In your forward half.

“Lies, damed lies and statistics” comes to mind with this whole turnover game panacea. Granted we probably needed to improve on it (and we have) but if and when we salute they’ll be talking about Cripps and Walsh dominating the midfield and Charlie and Harry dominating tnt skies. That’s what wins this team premierships!
Well its just my opinion and I have no data to back it up, but from my experience as a footballer it's just far easier to quell a strong clearance teams influence. 6,6,6 has made it more difficult but any accountable midfield can play defensive side at stoppage and scrap and claw to make sure there's less clean exits into the forward line.

It's far harder to shut down fluent and quick ball movement on turnover because you're often out of position and requires every player in the team to be doing their job, there's a tiny margin for error.

I do agree though, if teams aren't capable of shutting down our clearance game then theres really no reason it couldn't take us all the way... I just think there are teams who can match it with us or at least stem the bleeding and so it's better to have our turnover game on point as it's more likely to get the job done regardless of opposition.

The point I think was to concentrate on turnover game for the first half of the year, then integrate our 'natural' style of contested play, essentially make us less predictable and able to change the shape of a game if it wasn't working for us.

Obviously the injuries to our key interception and delivery players in Saad, McGovern, Doc and a few others has forced a switch back.

(This is all assumptions btw)

You win the ball at the coalface and still win turnover game equals unbeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LOL @ 'turnover' stats a fancy way of saying - we won the ball and scored a goal..

absolutely beat up - total rubbish.

His reputation of being a what analyst????? . He spouts opinions loosely tied to the stat of the week without any analysis. What he does produce is fed to him by the clown David Hoyne. He's in the business of opinions and clicks, not analytics.

That may well be true, but not according to Mr King himself or those in the media that spruik his “credentials”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never heard of him tbh.
Why anyone would care about journalists opinions? They are reactive without any thought process or proper analysis. If we beat Geelong this week watch the media turn up the premiership flag favourites tag all of a sudden.
I don't particularly care for their opinions, I just enjoy seeing them have to back track and look like idiots when we prove them wrong. It's part of the fun of being a footy fan.

History repeating…

Last time we won the first 4 games “95”, last time there was an Anzac Day draw “95”…

Flaggers baby!!!
Bad Luck GIF by Travis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First crack showed some examples of Acres and Zac's being poor defensively. They focussed on them two.

Cats players sprinting through the middle to provide additional options inside their f50 on transitions.

Our players couldn't keep up with them. They out ran us - strangely we were thinking they'd have heavy legs due to playing under wet conditions in brissie the week prior.

Zac beaten by stengles on one-ones and also left him free at times which initiated some of their transitions.

So much so that Kingy called for Voss to drop Zac to the 2s to bring the standard back up. Highly paid player needs to be better.

First crack showed some examples of Acres and Zac's being poor defensively. They focussed on them two.

Cats players sprinting through the middle to provide additional options inside their f50 on transitions.

Our players couldn't keep up with them. They out ran us - strangely we were thinking they'd have heavy legs due to playing under wet conditions in brissie the week prior.

Zac beaten by stengles on one-ones and also left him free at times which initiated some of their transitions.

So much so that Kingy called for Voss to drop Zac to the 2s to bring the standard back up. Highly paid player needs to be better.
Drop him off a bad game? And bring in who exactly? One of the 7 AFL listed players from the VFL this week who have never played an AFL game before. King needs to do some research on our current list status

Last edited:
Drop him off one bad game? And bring in who exactly? One of the 7 AFL listed players from the VFL this week who have never played an AFL game before. King needs to do some research on our current list status
Can't see him being dropped. A robust discussion and plan for him during the week would be nice. Kingy just saying what many of us have noticed.
I'd love to see Zac come out and play a belter on Saturday night.

Drop him off one bad game? And bring in who exactly? One of the 7 AFL listed players from the VFL this week who have never played an AFL game before. King needs to do some research on our current list status

You could bring in Cincotta for him.

But, I don't agree in him being dropped.

Listen to Kingy from purely an entertainment point of view. It’s rarely in-depth analysis.

Montagna is the only one I’d take seriously on that show, and I like the show.

Listen to Kingy from purely an entertainment point of view. It’s rarely in-depth analysis.

Montagna is the only one I’d take seriously on that show, and I like the show.
You may be right, kingy does react more emotionally and I agree montagne is better in terms of quality analysis.

but Zac was poor defensively imo.

When our usual defenders return I’d like to see him further up the ground to take advantage of his runs. I think he’d add more value to the team there compared to playing as a defender.

Apparently Lethal and Morris are going to tee off on us as well….great, fire us up for Fri night

Lethal is giving a 6 game player $10 million over 5 years and Tom Morris is Tom Morris. I am not sure why our supporters should care about their opinions.

Watching at the ground last week I can say Williams’ manning of Greene in the first half was pretty ridiculous. Peeled off, got sucked into contests letting Greene out the back, generally just left Greene standing out on his own at all times. We just got lucky the ball didn’t get directed his way often.

Then 2nd half Boyd looked great on Greene in comparison just by actually standing near him.

Matthew Lloyd has discovered our weakness... off the back of a 13 point loss to Geelong with at least 6 starting 22 players out...

We have won 14 quarters, lost 13 and drawn 1...

Thought I'd take a look at the ladder leaders...

The Cats have won 19 quarters. They won the 2nd quarter by 7 points and the last quarter by 2 points against us. Had we won both of those quarters by 1 point, we'd have still lost the game but we'd be on 16 qtrs won and them on 17...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back