Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Jacks game and am a massive advocate for him but was pretty disappointed with his weak effort late against Walker which enabled him to put it on the boot and get it to Rankin to goal late in the goal square. Other than that, Jack is tracking really well for mine.
am I the only one that thought that was a clear push in the back?

One other factor, which might be more interesting in the wing count thread, was the use of Bruce and Hipwood at secondary bounces after a centre stoppage. At the bounce Bruce would be on the wing, but then at the second bounce Hipwood moved to the wing spot while Bruce was moving to be a spare at the back of the contest. Was clearly a set play that we were looking for and I dont think I have seen it much before this week

Now the frustration of a draw has died down a little bit I'm actually pretty happy with that result really. The frustration was more from what could of been rather than we should have.

The young guys did everything they were asked - Brain looks good straight up - and will be better for the exposure. You can't match game time to get up to speed both physically and mentally for all of the newbies.

Berry was huge and it's good to see him get reward for effort. Ah Chee... was his best game all year. McMorris and Kai both had some good moments up forward. Prior was disappointing but... Answorth takes his place no question.

There's some seniors that really need to ask themselves what they bring to the team at the moment. And if they are actually committed to improving it and themselves. If this year is to be a write off maybe they need a little help looking in the mirror.

THE BAD

Sub - still don't get having Brain as sub. Prior has hardly been setting the world on fire. Seemed to be like conservative match committee not wanting another debutante.
I think was "respecting the experience" - you don't know how the newbie will adapt to AFL, and historically Prior has been reliable if uninspiring. After seeing Brain have more impact on a quarter than Prior in three, I hope enough has been seen and we correct that heading forward.

Is it just me or has Fox Footy posted this King/Daniher stuff half a dozen times on their socials today? Give it a rest. It's just so odd that he's watched the game and that was the main takeaway he got. People who don't follow Brisbane and don't pay close attention just assume he's right and it perpetuates the myth that he's selfish.

Get ready for a week of talking points. What's next? Oh there's a riff between Charlie and Joe. Charlie is going to leave. Essendon targeting Charlie. Someone went through 5 years of tapes and counted how many times they did or didn't pass to each other. That's all coming. I understand why Joe doesn't own a TV.

So I'm taking this from the point of view that we're a bunch of fans commenting on a sporting team. If we're projecting that we're in the inner sanctum of the club, it's a different story - I don't expect them to be using excuses or justifications. They need to get it going as best they can regardless of the difficulties, that's the point. It doesn't mean we, as external observers, need to put our own heads in the sand with regards to the reality of the situation - we're not the ones running out on to the field despite what some seem to think.
your always right

Is it just me or has Fox Footy posted this King/Daniher stuff half a dozen times on their socials today? Give it a rest. It's just so odd that he's watched the game and that was the main takeaway he got.

Get ready for a week of talking points. What's next? Oh there's a riff between Charlie and Joe. Charlie is going to leave. Essendon targeting Charlie. Someone went through 5 years of tapes and counted how many times they did or didn't pass to each other. That's all coming. I understand why Joe doesn't own a TV.
Perhaps they should show more of any of our players allowing Dawson to literally run amok in that last quarter. I watched the last quarter again at lunch and some of the efforts by our senior players against him was embarrassing. I couldn’t help watching it that it was more a loss than anything else and in my view saying otherwise is just making excuses, which I’ve seen many on here and Lions FB pages today.

Perhaps they should show more of any of our players allowing Dawson to literally run amok in that last quarter. I watched the last quarter again at lunch and some of the efforts by our senior players against him was embarrassing. I couldn’t help watching it that it was more a loss than anything else and in my view saying otherwise is just making excuses, which I’ve seen many on here and Lions FB pages today.
Yes if you are looking at it critically you could build an argument that we should have won considering we were up by 3 goals with 10 minutes left you'd hope to win more than not from that position.

But it wasn't a loss because we didn't lose.

I'd also say that to get into that position in the first place showed a fair bit of guts considering we had a young team playing away against an Adelaide team (that went into the game as favourites), that had 3 extra days rest, playing in front of a full house, coming home with a wet sail, very much a momentum team.

Take the + with the -.

Those Moments - 2 (?) of Payne's kicks. Harris in slo-mo. Letting the goal out the back after being 3 up. We just needed to hold that lead for a couple of minutes. So disappointing.
Just to pick on one of your many points (which I don't necessarily disagree with)... we were 3 goals up at the 12.41 mark of the final quarter and held that 3 goal lead for about 1 minute. A team (and particularly our team) can't defend a 3-goal lead for 20 minutes. It's often said that the modern game moves so much on momentum and you can see this in the worm from halfway through the 2nd quarter.
  • The crows kicked 5 goals to 1 goal for the next 30ish minutes of game play
  • We then gained the momentum and kicked 5 goals to none in the next 15 minutes
  • Crows swung it back again and kicked 4 goals straight to none.
  • Both clubs kicked the same number of behinds.

For me once we were down a goal 25 minutes into the last quarter with the Crows on the run, we did well to arrest the run and get one back. from there, it could have gone either way... think back to round-1.

1715580559321.png

I think was "respecting the experience" - you don't know how the newbie will adapt to AFL, and historically Prior has been reliable if uninspiring. After seeing Brain have more impact on a quarter than Prior in three, I hope enough has been seen and we correct that heading forward.
Yeah fair point. Easy playing Monday Quarterback i guess! we need an australian term for that

To be fair to me i was keen on Brain over Prior pre game, but then i am not the closest of the ressies watchers at all, it was more from reading reports and thinking he would be better suited to their smalls, not to mention the energy of a debut was clear from the week before!

As you say surely Brain plays next week. It should be a good game for the younger blokes (jinx) and then one more before the bye and a chance to re-set.

I do hope we go on merit from here in terms of who is in / out. I mean Bailey is obviously a lock. Starcevich is too. But we need to be picking the newbies if they have earned it. McKenna is an obvious candidate to go out from the weekend. Rayner should not be invincible (although i still like what he brings and think he is mis-used). Even Fletcher, who is young himself, could do with being managed, he seems to have some very down games. And i have no idea if Berry is more sore some weeks vs others, but given the gap between his good and bad games if he does get quite sore one week again we should look at a rest.

Fages is using the squad involuntarily, let's see if he does once players are back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some seniors that really need to ask themselves what they bring to the team at the moment. And if they are actually committed to improving it and themselves. If this year is to be a write off maybe they need a little help looking in the mirror.
Cam Rayner except for the Demons game has been disappointing for most of his career sadly... he appears to not put in top line effort too regularly.

Who else you thinking needs to look in the mirror? Maybe Eric but I don't think you can fault his effort, same with Joe, he is a laconic looking player but rarely lacks effort. I can't think of any other senior players who lack commitment.

Zorko/Lester/Andrews/McKenna/McCluggage/Berry/Dunkley/Neale/Cameron/Ah Chee/McInerney?

Just to pick on one of your many points (which I don't necessarily disagree with)... we were 3 goals up at the 12.41 mark of the final quarter and held that 3 goal lead for about 1 minute. A team (and particularly our team) can't defend a 3-goal lead for 20 minutes. It's often said that the modern game moves so much on momentum and you can see this in the worm from halfway through the 2nd quarter.
  • The crows kicked 5 goals to 1 goal for the next 30ish minutes of game play
  • We then gained the momentum and kicked 5 goals to none in the next 15 minutes
  • Crows swung it back again and kicked 4 goals straight to none.
  • Both clubs kicked the same number of behinds.

For me once we were down a goal 25 minutes into the last quarter with the Crows on the run, we did well to arrest the run and get one back. from there, it could have gone either way... think back to round-1.

View attachment 1988082
Haha i take it from your opening you believe i have made a lot of bad calls? No issue, it is a forum of debate :)

Totally agree we did well late to get one back. It was a little bit lucky - Hippy banging it on the boot - but the defence held up well after that.

And i wasn't saying getting 3 goals up at that point was game over. It was the rapidity of the crows goal, and the nature of it, that seemed deflating. Time with a 3 goal lead in my view can become self affirming or self fulfilling late in games. The players and crowd look up at the scoreboard for 2-3 minutes and see it as 3 goals and think gee it's getting tough. As it was we gave up the first goal so quickly it was like the 3 goal lead never happened.

I thought you could see too from Dunkley's celebration that belief surged through the group; it was a bit of a lucky goal, we got it, the ball is bouncing our way....

Anyway just my view from the couch amongst kid chaos.

We have some super exciting young talent that see us remain high on the ladder for some time to come. To think we get up to 6 guys back in to this side PLUS the super exciting three or four academy / FS kids. This is almost up to half a team of exciting injection.

Of course, the likes of Gardiner, McCarthy, sadly maybe even Doedee may not be best 22 when they come back but WAshcroft, LAshcroft, Coleman, Starcevich and Bailey certainly will be. Then you've got those three mentioned above, Dev and the other draftees all vying for spots.

2025 looks fantastic, no idea how we fit everyone.

Is it just me or has Fox Footy posted this King/Daniher stuff half a dozen times on their socials today? Give it a rest. It's just so odd that he's watched the game and that was the main takeaway he got. People who don't follow Brisbane and don't pay close attention just assume he's right and it perpetuates the myth that he's selfish.

I've seen it a couple of times on Twitter... That's generally the standard coverage for a piece they put out from First Crack.

We have some super exciting young talent that see us remain high on the ladder for some time to come. To think we get up to 6 guys back in to this side PLUS the super exciting three or four academy / FS kids. This is almost up to half a team of exciting injection.

Of course, the likes of Gardiner, McCarthy, sadly maybe even Doedee may not be best 22 when they come back but WAshcroft, LAshcroft, Coleman, Starcevich and Bailey certainly will be. Then you've got those three mentioned above, Dev and the other draftees all vying for spots.

2025 looks fantastic, no idea how we fit everyone.
100%, IMO our flag window is quite a while from closing.

Cam Rayner except for the Demons game has been disappointing for most of his career sadly... he appears to not put in top line effort too regularly.

Who else you thinking needs to look in the mirror? Maybe Eric but I don't think you can fault his effort, same with Joe, he is a laconic looking player but rarely lacks effort. I can't think of any other senior players who lack commitment.

Zorko/Lester/Andrews/McKenna/McCluggage/Berry/Dunkley/Neale/Cameron/Ah Chee/McInerney?

Thoughts, Mr Ripper?

Yes but after all the yap, Daniher is selfish so who cares what some commentator thinks but he is spot on though

100% correct. Maybe the media could have a look at Rayner.

Back