Autopsy Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Despite their current record, Collingwood have shown to be a much improved side this year. That said, I think this game is winnable for us if we bring our best. IMO it's also our next winnable game for the next month or so, as I don't see us as much of a chance of beating the Swans or Freo. In short, as Bodsy would say, this is a Grand Final. We have to win games like this if we want to win around 10 games for the year. It's a winnable game in our opening stretch of tough games against good sides.

My changes:

OUT: Burgess, Corbett, Davies, Markov
IN: Farrar, Luko, Rosas, Sharp

Farrar was out ill so should get up.

Rosas was touch and go for the Q-Clash and Dew mentioned he expects him to come straight back in.

Luko the interesting one. He was ruled out for the Q-Clash pretty early in the week, so he's not a sure thing to come in. Hopefully though with the extra week he can come in as we're really missing him. I think we were really starting to use him better before he went down with injury.

I'd bring in Sharp over Atkins as a genuine offensive winger, but I don't mind the idea that SandyToes mentioned in bringing Atkins in for a string of six or so games, just to give him a good run at it so we can see once and for all what he's got. Either way, one of them needs to come in for Markov who isn't a winger at all.

Despite their current record, Collingwood have shown to be a much improved side this year. That said, I think this game is winnable for us if we bring our best. IMO it's also our next winnable game for the next month or so, as I don't see us as much of a chance of beating the Swans or Freo. In short, as Bodsy would say, this is a Grand Final. We have to win games like this if we want to win around 10 games for the year. It's a winnable game in our opening stretch of tough games against good sides.

My changes:

OUT: Burgess, Corbett, Davies, Markov
IN: Farrar, Luko, Rosas, Sharp

Farrar was out ill so should get up.

Rosas was touch and go for the Q-Clash and Dew mentioned he expects him to come straight back in.

Luko the interesting one. He was ruled out for the Q-Clash pretty early in the week, so he's not a sure thing to come in. Hopefully though with the extra week he can come in as we're really missing him. I think we were really starting to use him better before he went down with injury.

I'd bring in Sharp over Atkins as a genuine offensive winger, but I don't mind the idea that SandyToes mentioned in bringing Atkins in for a string of six or so games, just to give him a good run at it so we can see once and for all what he's got. Either way, one of them needs to come in for Markov who isn't a winger at all.
I would drop Lemmons as well , tbh he is a C grader who tries hard , some times we go for the solid citizen over on field needs. Sharp and Flanders were high draft picks and we are not good enough not to play our best players

I would drop Lemmons as well , tbh he is a C grader who tries hard , some times we go for the solid citizen over on field needs. Sharp and Flanders were high draft picks and we are not good enough not to play our best players
Who replaces him as a shut down defender then?

Who replaces him as a shut down defender then?
Due to our crap list management we have to create one , I would probably try Flanders. This is where our total waste of those extra 5 players has killed us , we still have massive holes with 49 on the list. We should have filled those 5 places with mature aged state players not experiments.

Due to our crap list management we have to create one , I would probably try Flanders. This is where our total waste of those extra 5 players has killed us , we still have massive holes with 49 on the list. We should have filled those 5 places with mature aged state players not experiments.
Flanders? That's as bad as the guy wanting to put Luko in the ruck last week.

Flanders? That's as bad as the guy wanting to put Luko in the ruck last week.
Hey at least he has ability and clean.skills, how about we promote Nicholls instead, he's a small defender, am sure that one possession he will get will be a good one. No one can dispute our list management has totally stuffed up considering all the list concessions we have been given

I presume I'm the only one here who has suspicions Flanders may have peaked at 18
Another man child playing vs boys in the u18's with gushing local press as a result
He competes really well and tackles but what are his superpowers?
It's not speed marking or kicking(that I can determine)
Maybe a good footy brain-but no-one had a better footy brain than George Horlin-Smith
He's only 20 so I'll give him a break, but I don't get annoyed when he's dropped like I was when Brodie would come in and out of the team

Hey at least he has ability and clean.skills, how about we promote Nicholls instead, he's a small defender, am sure that one possession he will get will be a good one. No one can dispute our list management has totally stuffed up considering all the list concessions we have been given
I'll give him that-he's definitely got sticky fingers on the ground

You can't suggest Flanders as a lock-down defender. Simply can't. OK, you can but then expect your view to be questioned and rightfully so, IMHO.

I got one - Farrar. He is tough, got speed.

I presume I'm the only one here who has suspicions Flanders may have peaked at 18
Another man child playing vs boys in the u18's with gushing local press as a result
He competes really well and tackles but what are his superpowers?
It's not speed marking or kicking(that I can determine)
Maybe a good footy brain-but no-one had a better footy brain than George Horlin-Smith
He's only 20 so I'll give him a break, but I don't get annoyed when he's dropped like I was when Brodie would come in and out of the team
I thought that Flanders had a very good string of games last year in the middle of season. Then he faded out. I liked his last VFL game. I see him mostly as a midfielder. Clean, good in contest, more speed in the middle? Too optimistic?

I thought that Flanders had a very good string of games last year in the middle of season. Then he faded out. I liked his last VFL game. I see him mostly as a midfielder. Clean, good in contest, more speed in the middle? Too optimistic?
Same here but I ask the question-is he better or different than the guy we gave away to Freo last season for basically nothing coming into his prime?
This is the confusion we as supporters have to deal with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I notice about Flanders is that he's probably our best kick inside 50 outside of Luko. He can pick out and hit options that a lot of guys on our list can't. He was demonstrating that from day one. Problem is to play that high half forward role you have to have a huge tank, which it seems like he doesn't.

Either way, he's not playing 1s any time soon I don't think.

Same here but I ask the question-is he better or different than the guy we gave away to Freo last season for basically nothing coming into his prime?
This is the confusion we as supporters have to deal with
I think Flanders is very different from Brodie. Flanders should be able to play multiple positions. Brodie can only dream about Flanders speed. Flanders should complement Rowell, Anderson with his away speed, can play inside/outside stoppage, spend time forward.

Brodie is solely inside, then jogging around and involved in short kicks.

I would hope Flanders will play this year and confirm my optimistic scenario.

We desperately need Luko back! We've missed his elite kicking over the last two weeks. I want Rosas and Farrar back in the team as well. Davies and Corbett should probably be dropped. I know people were hot on Corbett after his five goals in the VFL a few weeks ago but I think he's proven over the last two weeks that he's still the same guy that struggles to consistently perform at the AFL level.

As it currently stands, we're just one win behind 8th position but we'll fall behind if we don't get our skates on soon so I think we really need to beat the Pies at the G like we did last year. Show up and get the win at the home of footy so we can come back to Metricon the following week and give the Dockers a red hot go and hopefully bring our win-loss ledger back to 4-4.

This Collingwood game is the type of match we need to be winning if we want to compete for a finals spot this year. Let's go!

We desperately need Luko back! We've missed his elite kicking over the last two weeks. I want Rosas and Farrar back in the team as well. Davies and Corbett should probably be dropped. I know people were hot on Corbett after his five goals in the VFL a few weeks ago but I think he's proven over the last two weeks that he's still the same guy that struggles to consistently perform at the AFL level.

As it currently stands, we're just one win behind 8th position but we'll fall behind if we don't get our skates on soon so I think we really need to beat the Pies at the G like we did last year. Show up and get the win at the home of footy so we can come back to Metricon the following week and give the Dockers a red hot go and hopefully bring our win-loss ledger back to 4-4.

This Collingwood game is the type of match we need to be winning if we want to compete for a finals spot this year. Let's go!
Yep, a crunch time and I expect a tough game. Collingwood play mostly experienced line-ups at the moment (104 average game experience today vs Suns 80 yesterday) with most seniors healthy including De Goey, Adams, Moore, Howe, Pendlebury, the list goes on. I guess their forward line look average (like ours).

Last edited:
Watching Collingwood today i think we need to be at our best at lowering our eyes going forward. Pies defence look like they like to zone off and not actually be accountable. Work rate from our forwards and foot skills could be a big factor in us getting the win. Swallow to watch degoey around the stoppages he is very dangerous in there.

Watching Collingwood today i think we need to be at our best at lowering our eyes going forward. Pies defence look like they like to zone off and not actually be accountable. Work rate from our forwards and foot skills could be a big factor in us getting the win. Swallow to watch degoey around the stoppages he is very dangerous in there.
Howe and Moore are going to kill us

Pies 15.3 today. If only we were ever that efficient

Pies 15.3 today. If only we were ever that efficient
Very much an outlier performance from them though:

R1 - 15.12 (102)
R2 - 15.10 (100)
R3 - 13.13 (91)
R4 - 10.14 (74)
R5 - 14.7 (91)

Pretty good last week by kicking 14.7 but you can see today's performance was by no means a regular occurrence for the Pies. We just faced a team that kicked ridiculously straight (21.6) so we should be well aware of what poor kicking will get us if we don't show up next week. Ginnivan and Mihocek kicked 9 of Collingwood's 15 goals today so obviously we need to be paying close attention to those two. Let's also not forget we managed to kick 80 points last night despite pretty poor accuracy on goal so it's not like we didn't have opportunities to kick over 100 points last night and that's about the maximum Collingwood have shown they can kick.

Yeah, they seem to play a zone off defence. I suppose you gotta sacrifice something when the game changes to more attacking. But the likes of Moore and Howe shouldn't be taken lightly.

I'm not sure how we'll line up with Kreuger going down. They arent bringing back Cox. So might be henry. Prob the best like for like available.

Just trying to think who you might want to put on Ginni. Budarick? He is a pest and I love him, but you guys will hate him hahaha. They wont change the team too much I wouldn't think. So you can know what you can get, just a forward change.

Should be a good game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back