Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Match Review Officer released their findings for last Thursday around 4pm on the Friday, so we should know about Charlie in 3 or so hours.

Hard to know what to expect. Lever clearly contributed to it but the MRO doesn't seem historically comfortable in calling that out. One arm pinned... What are the recent precedents?

The frustrating thing is it came right on the end of Charlie being denied 3 obvious free kicks in 20 seconds. It all smells like injustice.
Spot on, Charlie getting mugged and not earning any frees in the plays leading up to the tackle was the issue. He looked very frustrated with the lack of non-calls, subsequently he took that frustration out on Lever in the tackle.... he shouldn't be surprised because its happening EVERY week to him, bloody VFL.

Spot on, Charlie getting mugged and not earning any frees in the plays leading up to the tackle was the issue. He looked very frustrated with the lack of non-calls, subsequently he took that frustration out on Lever in the tackle.... he shouldn't be surprised because its happening EVERY week to him, bloody VFL.

I think we’ll definitely take our chances at the tribunal if he cops a suspension.

Nothing in this Answerth beat up. Petty has form and cant take what he dishes out.

Good to see some junkyard dog in the team with Gardner and Answerth. We have been lacking it.
I'm totally all for it. World's gone mad when you can't ridicule a professional athlete for crying on the field. Toughen up you .......

That's not really an answer.

Lachie was clearly tiring with his injury, but no way he would be taken off.

Rayner and Betty owning it and building their confidence. Don't take them off.

No way clugga or dunkley are subbing out.

Fletcher in same boat of needing game time as tunstill.

Who would you have taken off?

We were 49 points up. Take Lachie off with his ankle and their come back could have been a go ahead.

Retrospect is easy.

Fletcher, Ah Chee, McCluggage, Bailey and Neale.

It is poor coaching to not use the sub. For one - it gives a young player a chance to get on the field and get experience. Secondly, it allows us to rest a player when we're 49 minutes up.

There's no excuse that really works in my book. It was an error.

It is poor coaching to not use the sub. For one - it gives a young player a chance to get on the field and get experience. Secondly, it allows us to rest a player when we're 49 minutes up.

Fair enough.

I'm totally all for it. World's gone mad when you can't ridicule a professional athlete for crying on the field. Toughen up you .......

Yeah, maybe your right underneath that scorching sarcasm. Answerth should have given him a cuddle and they could have spent a few minutes talking out their feelings.

I’ve posted about this already so don’t want to bang on too much but it’s not good winning. If I’m Petty I’m putting that in the memory bank, these guys didn’t get to the AFL by being non-competitors
Nah, **** Melbourne. If things really played out as Caro said after the Zorko incident, troll them every game until that group has retired.

I p!ssed myself laughing at Answerth brushing his hair as Petty was lining up for his kick at goal, having ago at Petty about his bald spot and receding hairline.

Credit to leigh montagna in the media who said a couple of days ago against nearly every commentator that he thought we would win because Melbourne's clearance and ground ball numbers weren't that good and were being covered up by very good goal kicking. Also said clearances was our strength and if we can get the ball forward and lock it in, we'll go well. 100% correct on all counts.

Only 1 channel 9 tipster, tipped us this round.

Kane Cornes.

Let's knock down the Gabba and play all our home games at the G.
Fanatic idea. You sir deserve an OOA. I'll take it one step further... We can set up our training facility at Brunswick Street Oval as well. Maybe we could also change our club name to the Fitzroy Lions... Has nice nice ring to it. 🤔😁

Last night's game was a massive mental win. The boys are back to feeling they are in charge. Confident, focused and more primed for the season.

Personally I think pulling someone off takes away from this so I'm happy with the no sub, even though tunstill also deserved a chance.

It's a tough being cusp 22, but you only have to look at Lester to see being a sub and in and out of the team when you are young isn't the end of your career.
I get your point but as with the second half about Lester its fine to be professional about it and accept being rested at the end of the game in coming off slightly early. Just it is something we could be a bit more professional about.

Its just leaving that little bit extra behind when we dont have to. Hard to know but can that extra 1% make a difference at the back end of a season?

Lester was never slow. That was the most ridiculous example of groupthink ever seen on our board. It was right up there with Sam Sheldon deserves a game each week in the seniors because he “plays his role.” Lester has alway been a great endurance runner with good acceleration and closing speed. He also reads the play extraordinarily well and is a ferocious tackler. He has always been a strong intercept mark and rebounding defender.
Amen

Excellent win, one of their better ones.
  • Loved the pressure and intent. Melb players were always under pressure and our tacking was as good as you’ll ever see. And they didn’t just tackle, they did with hardness.
  • Rayner. Wow. It took a while but Jesus how good was he! Had the Petracca traits, big, broke tackles, and hard. Got some decent guns on him too I noticed.
  • Defence led by Andrews back to their best, the last few weeks teams were scoring every time it went down there, not this time, the group stopped everything, and the kicks out of defence hit targets. No silly short kick turnovers, they hit their targets just about every time.
  • Not sure about not using the sub. Didn’t realise until after the game we didn’t use him, but would have thought a 15 min run on the MCG, especially as we were cooked, would have been hugely beneficial to Tunstill.
  • Good to see the Lions crowd get their moneys worth. Well done to those who braved a shitty fixturing schedule, hope you all had a good trip home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was Fletchers snap at goal last night. Zero time to look or think, just pure instinct to know exactly where the goal posts are.

It'll be fascinating to see what sort of player he will develop into. If he can average 15 disposals a game throughout this year on the wing, I think that's as much as you could ask for in a 2nd year player and is enough to warrant him playing all 22 games this year. The sooner he plays his 50th game, the better for our club.

Was a great game, not much to add but I want to highlight what King said in that podcast. Moving a wing onto Petracca was a big tactical move, I had seen Fletcher on him and thought they were playing him as a mid but seems like we just moved the wings in close and got them to run.bacl as he streamed forward.

Was a good strategic move so our mids could continue to ball hunt.

This whole Answerth thing is a bit…petty.

I’ll show myself out
The thing I want to know about Answerth is how has he improve his disposal so much? Many, quite rightly, used to point out you had your heart in your mouth when he was kicking. I have noticed all season how much he has improved. Hid disposal used to stick out like a sore thumb. McKenna will have to start as the sub as Answerth is 'undropable' on present form.

Could some one find his season stats in this regard?

Lester reminds me of Bruce Doull: cool under pressure. rarely loses an one on one and uses the ball beautifully!!!!!

Was a great game, not much to add but I want to highlight what King said in that podcast. Moving a wing onto Petracca was a big tactical move, I had seen Fletcher on him and thought they were playing him as a mid but seems like we just moved the wings in close and got them to run.bacl as he streamed forward.

Was a good strategic move so our mids could continue to ball hunt.
Yep good point. For some reason our tactics seemed so much better than normal. Maybe they were better adhered to?

Fletcher has been building since a quiet start. He has such good instincts around goal, seems really confident. An AFL talent scout said to me in 2022 he could be every bit as good as Ashcroft. Fletcher obviously hasn't had the impact yet but he has all the ingredients to be a gun winger - good pace, skills, tank. Goalkicking a bonus.

But he can now play a full game in the Twos.

Twenty minutes in the seniors or a full game in the twos.

Which is better?

The thing I want to know about Answerth is how has he improve his disposal so much? Many, quite rightly, used to point out you had your heart in your mouth when he was kicking. I have noticed all season how much he has improved. Hid disposal used to stick out like a sore thumb. McKenna will have to start as the sub as Answerth is 'undropable' on present form.

Could some one find his season stats in this regard?

Lester reminds me of Bruce Doull: cool under pressure. rarely loses an one on one and uses the ball beautifully!!!!!

There was an article about Answerth last week I think and that during all his time off with injury, he’s been working really hard on his decision making and execution. Used the time to work at his ‘knocks’ basically.

There was an article about Answerth last week I think and that during all his time off with injury, he’s been working really hard on his decision making and execution. Used the time to work at his ‘knocks’ basically.
Its noticeable how much he has improved. I was guilty of pre-emptively cringing when I saw him get passed the ball when he came back into the team, but he has really surprised me. Looks like he is being trusted with critical kicks out of the back and through the middle a lot more.

With his gutsy workrate its hard to move past him at the moment

But he can now play a full game in the Twos.

Twenty minutes in the seniors or a full game in the twos.

Which is better?

Exposure at AFL level 100%. Would still get sufficient game time in the VFL too.

Would you learn more from 20 minutes with the best of the best or 2 hours with guys working day jobs?

Exposure at AFL level 100%. Would still get sufficient game time in the VFL too.

Would you learn more from 20 minutes with the best of the best or 2 hours with guys working day jobs?
Plus game time on the MCG. Its clearly a big thing for a lot of kids and we dont get many shots at it before finals. Seems a shame not to have given him that chance

1 week for Charlie

No ******* idea how that's medium impact
Would his head have even hit the ground if he (Lever) didn’t make that action himself? I don’t usually care to much about umpiring / suspension decisions, but I saw that act this arvo and just assumed they’d see nothing in it. Truly baffling really.

Back