Prediction Rd 6 Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't be bringing Sturt in if he were underdone.

This club hasnt risked Darcy despite playing two very good teams...theres no way they would risk Sturt. Hes ready to play will probably be our highest goal kicker.
He isn't underdone injury wise, its more form wise after injuries.

He hasn't ever really coped well after layoffs, its been a real stop/start preseason for him

He isn't underdone injury wise, its more form wise after injuries.

He hasn't ever really coped well after layoffs, its been a real stop/start preseason for him
Can't get form if you dont play....who better to get some against than the Eagles?

When fit I’d like to see Wags come in for Walker. Unpopular opinion I know, but he’s more creative and a better defender. Walks has had a couple of turnover howlers in recent games that people overlook because of his speed and potential. Interesting that Hughes doesn’t seem to get the same leniency.
In a way I could see walker and wagner in the best 23. I rather Wagner or Walker in a back flank or pocket over Ethan Hughes. But that isnt saying much.

If Wagner and walker both play and we cant fit both in the backline, Wagner plays in the backline. Walker gets to play on a wing, forward flank or go on the bench.

Walker I rate but despite his positives you can see that he is always going to be susceptible to the odd brain-melt throughout his career.

Hopefully with experience they just becomes a lot less.
I am curious on how Walkers early years is compared to other short or medium sized defenders we had in the past like Roger hayden or Paul Duffield or Garrick Ibbotson...

Have always liked Sturt, at this stage he's less likely than more likely in succeeding at the AFL level but these types of opportunities can be the makings of a player.

When he does get the rare chance to play, he tends to bob up with a couple of goals despite not getting much of the footy. If the rest of the team do their job, that's all he really needs to do!
Sam Sturts main strength is he is an accurate kick for a set shot. So I hope he has 3 or 4 set shots on goal in the derby

Oh I definitely recall a game where I and many others never ever wanted to see him in purple again

Can’t recall which one but it was abysmal
That was the preseason game against port. I’m certainly not going to write a guy off after a scratch match, especially one that kicked 16 goals or something in the last 7 or 8 weeks last year and looked a genuine threat at AFL level, not just a role player.
Josh Treacy looked like a bag of potatoes in that preseason match too against port (along with several others) and look how he’s played since.

Sturt is capable of kicking 3-0 from 7 touches as a high half forward. We don’t have many guys that kick goals consistently (it’s our biggest weakness obviously) so I want the club to give Sturt every chance despite his other weaknesses.
He leads smartly at the ball. He’s a pretty accurate set shot.
Yes he’s not the most intense pressure player. But if we run with too many forwards being intense pressure role players like Switta and Emmett, that’s what leads you to score lines like 9-11 (65) at the end of the game.
That needs to become 12-7 (79) or so and we are suddenly winning the majority of games.

That was the preseason game against port. I’m certainly not going to write a guy off after a scratch match, especially one that kicked 16 goals or something in the last 7 or 8 weeks last year and looked a genuine threat at AFL level, not just a role player.
Josh Treacy looked like a bag of potatoes in that preseason match too against port (along with several others) and look how he’s played since.

Sturt is capable of kicking 3-0 from 7 touches as a high half forward. We don’t have many guys that kick goals consistently (it’s our biggest weakness obviously) so I want the club to give Sturt every chance despite his other weaknesses.
He leads smartly at the ball. He’s a pretty accurate set shot.
Yes he’s not the most intense pressure player. But if we run with too many forwards being intense pressure role players like Switta and Emmett, that’s what leads you to score lines like 9-11 (65) at the end of the game.
That needs to become 12-7 (79) or so and we are suddenly winning the majority of games.
The exact reason why I want sam sturt in.

this could be one of those dockers game we wont score 100 points but still win by 4-6 goals.

I wont be shocked if freo scores 13.7.85 or 14.6.90 and the dockers win by 30 points with Sam Sturt kicking 3 or 4 goals.

Sigh . . . I guess you missed the bit where I came on 5 minutes after selection & owned my totally wrong take.
Based on WAFL form, the lack of impact in the 2nd half I think you had an opinion based on the evidence we had available.

Any way, I had given up hope on Sturt being an AFL player. Anyway, someone just needs to put Sturt's head over the dockers symbol, and that is how I feel.

Getting ready to be disappointed, hoping he kicks 2 or 3, with 5 tackles.

1713476996189.png

Attachments

• 1713476972985.png
    1713476972985.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 18
Based on WAFL form, the lack of impact in the 2nd half I think you had an opinion based on the evidence we had available.

Any way, I had given up hope on Sturt being an AFL player. Anyway, someone just needs to put Sturt's head over the dockers symbol, and that is how I feel.

Getting ready to be disappointed, hoping he kicks 2 or 3, with 5 tackles.

View attachment 1963701
Sturt was pretty impressive at the back end of last year. Kicked 11 goals in 7 matches, including 4 against the WC. I remember some impressive pressure acts too.

Don't know how he'll butter up at this stage, given his limited run at it to start the year, but I reckon when on song, he's a perfect addition to the combo of Amiss, Treacy, Jackson in that forward line.

Do you just vomit out every thought that enters your head into its own post these days or…?

wave ralph GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised with the Sturt selection.

The last few weeks, the big shortfall is forward line pressure and the ability to lock the ball in the forward half. Not sure how Sturt addresses this.
He is fast defensively.
Have no other options though. It’s pretty bare. Emmett, Banfield, Sturt and maybe Erasmus should be alright.

Like what Banfield has brought to the team but I would’ve preferred Sturt was kicking those two at goal last week, especially the one on the boundary
Banfield has actually been pretty good at shots from general play, his 2022 was a genuine surprise to me the way he could conjure a goal.
That made it extra painful he couldn't score at all from those shots.

Sturt on the other hand doesn't often get in those positions, so it's all good to say you'd rather him kicking it but one of Banfield's traits is he gets to the right spots, and too often for it to just be chance.

Sigh . . . I guess you missed the bit where I came on 5 minutes after selection & owned my totally wrong take.
No need to sigh or defend yourself. When I first read your take, I was nodding in reluctant agreement. When I heard Sturty was in, I actually WTFed.

I am not writing him off. Just didn’t think he was ready and feared he may have missed his chance.

Happy for the bloke to get another crack and hope like crazy he makes the most of it. For us all.

Banfield has actually been pretty good at shots from general play, his 2022 was a genuine surprise to me the way he could conjure a goal.
That made it extra painful he couldn't score at all from those shots.

Sturt on the other hand doesn't often get in those positions, so it's all good to say you'd rather him kicking it but one of Banfield's traits is he gets to the right spots, and too often for it to just be chance.
Either it was an anomaly, which came in twos lol as banners is usually not bad kicking for goal.

I think the second set shot, he tried a checkside rather than drop punt but it didn't come off, which happens.

However, I think playing further up the ground and wing does add to the fatigue so finishing the goal is not as optimal as it should be. He made for it next play where he was on boundary and centred it leading to the Brayshaw goal

Agree that banners knows how to get to the right spots. People can say he should of kicked those two goals but he would have been in a position to create them in the first place

Sturt sub then? Wouldn’t have minded Tabs staying in offering structure up forward and rotate Sturt/Darcy.
That leaves JOM and Erasmus in the team.

I think it has to be Ras, Johnno or JoM as sub. One of the former most likely.

If Sturt is coming in after a broken pre-season and 1 WAFL game its because we didn't think we could get away with playing a mid as as a permanent/high volume forward.

Sturt has to start (IMO obvs). Think he's a terrible idea as sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back