Prediction Rd 6 Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly last chance saloon for Sturt, but he did kick 17 from 14 appearances last year. Either injury or form has prevented him from having a deep season, 18+ games. Capable of kicking over 30 if his body had been right for mine. Just haven't seen enough of that, and then when his intensity was questioned....you knew he wasn't high in the pecking order.

Gets another opportunity this weekend, against a team where the expectation is they'll offer up chances. Perfect storm, but hopefully Sturt's got the grit between the teeth because I almost feel like he's delist material in the eyes of the club (not mine) and then you fear he'd be picked up by a Victorian outfit and go on and become the player we'd all hoped.

He isn't a Hogan, a player beset by mental demons, controversies and tragedies per se, so I hope his opportunity on Sat night is one he can take and catapult him into our forward-line discussions because we need someone of Sturt's ability to become a weapon. Fingers crossed

Sturt was pretty impressive at the back end of last year. Kicked 11 goals in 7 matches, including 4 against the WC. I remember some impressive pressure acts too.

Don't know how he'll butter up at this stage, given his limited run at it to start the year, but I reckon when on song, he's a perfect addition to the combo of Amiss, Treacy, Jackson in that forward line.
Against “the WC” who is this? Gerard Healy? It’s WC, not THE WCE.

Let’s hope Sturt finds that Hurley form.

Possibly last chance saloon for Sturt, but he did kick 17 from 14 appearances last year. Either injury or form has prevented him from having a deep season, 18+ games. Capable of kicking over 30 if his body had been right for mine. Just haven't seen enough of that, and then when his intensity was questioned....you knew he wasn't high in the pecking order.

Gets another opportunity this weekend, against a team where the expectation is they'll offer up chances. Perfect storm, but hopefully Sturt's got the grit between the teeth because I almost feel like he's delist material in the eyes of the club (not mine) and then you fear he'd be picked up by a Victorian outfit and go on and become the player we'd all hoped.

He isn't a Hogan, a player beset by mental demons, controversies and tragedies per se, so I hope his opportunity on Sat night is one he can take and catapult him into our forward-line discussions because we need someone of Sturt's ability to become a weapon. Fingers crossed
JL has pretty consistently praised his intensity since the middle of last year. I don't think he is out of favour anymore, others are just preferred.

I think he has the offensive tools to make it tough to leave him out if he keeps up the defensive stuff.

List of ins and outs from last time we played (R22 last year):

Freo Ins: Banfield, Darcy, Draper, Emmett, Fyfe, Hughes, Sharp
Freo Outs: Corbett, Cox, Freddy, Henry, Schultz, Switta, Worner

WC Ins: Barass, Brockman, Ginbey, Hough, Maric, Petruccelle, Reid, Sheed, Waterman
WC Outs: Allen, Clark, Edwards, Foley, Gaff, Hewett, Jones, O'Neill, Petrevski-Seton

Two very different squads, but we should smash them regardless

List of ins and outs from last time we played (R22 last year):

Freo Ins: Banfield, Darcy, Draper, Emmett, Fyfe, Hughes, Sharp
Freo Outs: Corbett, Cox, Freddy, Henry, Schultz, Switta, Worner

WC Ins: Barass, Brockman, Ginbey, Hough, Maric, Petruccelle, Reid, Sheed, Waterman
WC Outs: Allen, Clark, Edwards, Foley, Gaff, Hewett, Jones, O'Neill, Petrevski-Seton

Two very different squads, but we should smash them regardless
It was GG at

Ins: Banfield

Better luck next year West Coast.

JL has pretty consistently praised his intensity since the middle of last year. I don't think he is out of favour anymore, others are just preferred.

I think he has the offensive tools to make it tough to leave him out if he keeps up the defensive stuff.
Hope so. His debut game against the Dons Round 1 back in that dreadful 2020 year was exciting and it looked like we'd found our genuine medium tall goalkicker...then injuries came and he ended up driftwood for a little while until last year's more consistent appearances. And goals.

The ball is in his court because of a few injuries so I hope he's able to take it on because he has the tools, there's no doubt about that. I hope he has a really good game and gives the MC some headaches when the others be fit

I hope if Sturt does get a run on and gets few games he won't be like Henry and hold a vendetta against us and ends up leaving lol 😂

Hope so. His debut game against the Dons Round 1 back in that dreadful 2020 year was exciting and it looked like we'd found our genuine medium tall goalkicker...then injuries came and he ended up driftwood for a little while until last year's more consistent appearances. And goals.

The ball is in his court because of a few injuries so I hope he's able to take it on because he has the tools, there's no doubt about that. I hope he has a really good game and gives the MC some headaches when the others be fit
Given Switta has only kicked about 20 goals in his career and Emmett struggles to get involved, all Sturt has to do is follow the team directions for defense and he's fine. And again, I don't reckon I've heard JL question him on that since the start of last year.

His issue seems to be body strength in the one-on-one contest. His one percenters are quite good. Best smotherer in the team.
As you say, if we start kicking it to him on the lead where he can get separation instead of bombing it on his head, he'll look a lot better. He's not built for a wrestle, but he's quick.

I know that they had at times isolated banners in the goal square. Is it possible to use Sturt in this position so he can perhaps lead out to space.. not sure how he would be 1 on 1 in the goal square though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely this. I've been a big Sturt fan from the get go. Just like Treacy, I've been hoping for the big turning point where he cements himself in the B22.

Trace did it, now I'm hoping Sturt can do it too.

Glad to see Sturty get a crack at it.

If he can get his body right and replicate the form that he showed at the end of last season, he will be a nice piece in our forward line mix.

With a JJJ forward line, I see Sturt as a second or third leading target (and not just as a decoy, he’s good enough to lead to dangerous spots and then convert). He’s also able to get up the ground and hit targets inside 50.

I’m not expecting huge numbers from him in terms of goals, score involvements and disposals, but I think when on song he’ll help the forward line to function better overall.

I hope we respect his leads a little bit more and don't just dump it aimlessly into the he forward 50 for Barass and McGovern.
Why teams keep bombing it into their forward lines when they play WCE is beyond me. Your just allowing those two clowns the opportunity to spoil or mark, which they do quite well. Kick to a lead you morons.

There's a few really chirpy Eagle fans at work.
To be expected, they not used to having a win. We'll win more games half way through this season than they have in the last 3 years.

Massive to see Stuart in, is one of those (similar to O'Driscoll) that seems to suit AFL level better than WAFL. Worst case he draws a defender and leaves Amiss/Treacy/Jackson one out, best case he'll kick 2-3 and set up a couple more. One of the few players we've got that has some real forward craft.

Why teams keep bombing it into their forward lines when they play WCE is beyond me. Your just allowing those two clowns the opportunity to spoil or mark, which they do quite well. Kick to a lead you morons.

We have got a lot better at that

I like your posts generally but that is a terrible, terrible take. This isn't primary school.
I am over 'supporters' continuing to flame some of our players. It's like the Banfield bashing will never end, no matter how well he plays. Sorry if I choose not to put up with it. It's sad that some of us have to keep defending him.

Thought Sturt made himself incumbent last year. Right now he seems to be underdone and he has never been at his best like that. But if by chance he was fit and in form he is a point of difference in our forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes fitness is the key but he showed last year that he offers something different.

He has worked on his defensive skills which was a knock on him.

He is decidedly quick off the mark in fact at the combine he tested in he was top 10 in 20m and Agility and number 1 in Running vertical jump.

He is mentioned in the same article as Izak Rankine and Connor Rozee for that draft.

Here it is if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back