Prediction Rd 6 Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you actually read the full post or just go into defending Bailey mode. Who is your suggestion for sub given both Darcy and Sturt are underdone and a risk.
Banfield has played the role successfully multiple times.
Calling me a troll is way below the belt mate if you have ever read anything that I’ve posted before.
Your take doesn't come from a place of Banfield hate and it's unfair to lump it in with that. But I do think it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're saying Banners should be sub essentially because we need a good insurance policy given we're playing 2 underdone players - Sturt and Darcy. But, in doing that, you'd be almost guaranteeing that we'd be at least 1 man short in the last quarter. Sturt and Darcy both are probably not up to 4 quarter play, and starting both doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

Imo, you have Sturt as sub. He's probably gonna be even more underdone (relative to role) than Darcy, and especially given his strengths are about being a goal threat and we usually start games very cagey, I think that goal threat is best used with him against tired legs, probably in place of Darcy unless something happens (which isn't the end of the world necessarily: Darcy may be underdone but he's not gonna get shorter as the game goes on).

Your take doesn't come from a place of Banfield hate and it's unfair to lump it in with that. But I do think it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're saying Banners should be sub essentially because we need a good insurance policy given we're playing 2 underdone players - Sturt and Darcy. But, in doing that, you'd be almost guaranteeing that we'd be at least 1 man short in the last quarter. Sturt and Darcy both are probably not up to 4 quarter play, and starting both doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

Imo, you have Sturt as sub. He's probably gonna be even more underdone (relative to role) than Darcy, and especially given his strengths are about being a goal threat and we usually start games very cagey, I think that goal threat is best used with him against tired legs, probably in place of Darcy unless something happens (which isn't the end of the world necessarily: Darcy may be underdone but he's not gonna get shorter as the game goes on).
The issue with Sturt being sub is the same as Ras and Johnson to a lesser degree.
They need time to pick up the speed of the game and work there way into it. the sub role doesn’t suit those types of players.
As I previously posted I actually think that it will be Johnson, I just don’t think that is best for the team. Flexibility and impact are key to the sub role imo and Banfield has shown he has that.
In answer to the “he’s the 3rd highest rated wingman atm”. He has had limted
mins on the wing the last 2 weeks compare to the first 3 rounds and with Switta and Freddy out, he’s playing more fwd again as a starter.
If Sturt starts our fwd line is.
Walters Amiss Sturt
Treacy, Jackson Banfield/JOM/Emmett
Not a lot of pace and ground ball gets there.
I don’t agree with the teams selection this week but that’s what is on the team sheet and hence my FIRST sentence of the the post that started this Banfield backfire.
The selections make the choice of sub interesting.

Last edited:

shame there's a few jibes or personal attacks in the last few posts.....we're all rooting for the same team right?! Let's just back in the team selection/sub choice and go out there and rip the Toast another new one! I reckon the guys will be baying for blood (not literally) after 2 road losses under tough conditions. Get ready for a demolition....West Coast! ;)

I actually think naming Sturt is to keep Banfield up the ground on a wing where he’s been most effective for us, if Sturt is fading in the last Quarter you bring Johnson on as the sub and roll Banfield forward into sturts spot. We lost a forward in Switta so we’re bringing in a replacement in Sturt.

I actually think naming Sturt is to keep Banfield up the ground on a wing where he’s been most effective for us, if Sturt is fading in the last Quarter you bring Johnson on as the sub and roll Banfield forward into sturts spot. We lost a forward in Switta so we’re bringing in a replacement in Sturt.
A well constructed, intelligent and non-emotive response to the question of who plays Sub.
Wasn’t hard was it 😜😁

The tenor of the coverage this week (all to sell papers of course so I should let it go, but won't) has had strong element of "We're back, we've turned the corner, thank God its over" for the Nosebags. This is all off losing at home to Sydney by 'only' 5 goals then beating Richmond with them not having a single AFL standard full time inside midfielder playing (!)

Whether they win (not impossible, we could be off enough and they could kick straight enough), have a honorable 3 to 5 goal loss (less than median probability) or get flogged (most likely) they should all go have a look at this and realise how far they actually have to go:

View attachment 1963171
This only scrapes the surface of how far they've got to go. A lot of those younger players are okay at best imo, whilst we still have 4-5 pretty decent (some better than that) best 22 players we can bring in - not that they aren't missing a few themselves.

A well constructed, intelligent and non-emotive response to the question of who plays Sub.
Wasn’t hard was it 😜😁
soccer yelling GIF by Fusion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAFL form is not just numbers and raw stats. I think I'll back JL over us keyboard warriors if he thought Sturt did want he needed to.

I remember multiple players not really getting great WAFL stats but then playing AFL and not looking out of place.

Sturt looked better than just AFL standard second half of last season. Let's hope he can recapture that form. It'd make the List Management team's job a lot easier imo.

As self anointed president of the Sam Sturt fanclub, I seriously do not think he was ready for AFL, both in WAFL and Intra club matches BUT if we can get the ball into his hands 60m from goal then we are a good chance at hitting a target inside 50, so lets just do that.

Hopefully we roll them and he can find some form, kicked 4 on em last year

I can't see how Erasmus has jumped Johnson into the team, so no idea why Johnson would be sub, sub is going to be between Erasmus and Sturt, Sturt fits the switta/Freddy role better but Erasmus was first in line for the spot.

I didn’t see the first Q but Sturt was bloody invisible for Peel last week and Stanley looked pretty good

WC have got their mojo back a bit the last couple of games in defence

must be worried about kicking a score

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn’t see the first Q but Sturt was bloody invisible for Peel last week and Stanley looked pretty good

WC have got their mojo back a bit the last couple of games in defence

must be worried about kicking a score

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the last two weeks has taught us anything, it’s that we need genuine goal kicking forwards in the team, Sturt is one of those, just need him to fast track his form revival as his preseason game against port was woeful

Brandon Walkers final against Collingwood was absoloutly horrific, and thr sad thing is the final he played the week before was terrible too. He really should have been dropped before the Collingwood game.

Like a lot of the fast line breaking type players, Walkers biggest weakness is his composure with the footy. He's so used to being faster and more agile than everyone else, so hasn't ever gotten comfortable with the ball in traffic (think the opposite of a guy like pendles who is very slow but super composed) and he also hasnt found the awareness to slow down once he has breaken out of traffic before disposing of it, which hurts both his disposal and also his decision making (think bailley smith).

So that's the negatives with Brandon. The thing is, of all the negatives a young player is supposed to be able to improve, composure and decision making are the most likely.

His upside is huge. The raw pace, agility, and defending of small forwards in certain situations can't be taught, because 99% of the comp simply doesn't have his physical gifts. Brandon Walker is the perfect guy to much up on elite small forwards that rely on pure pace rather than smarts, like a Charlie Cameron or Bolton.

I'm very keen to persist with Walker in the team and to pump games in to him.

If we were to go deep in to the finals however, I hope we don't make the same mistake and play a nervous Walker unless his current form deserves it.
Conversely the way he played in that final might be one of the best things that happen in his football career.
The sting would have put an absolute fire under his backside to improve and make up for it .

Better bring some defence Sturt, or he’s a boomerang. In then out
agreed
And I don’t know about this inclusion , not a fan but shows how desperate we are for depth .
He’s likely to look good against the Wevils then get a game the following week and go back to being crap and cost us the game .

Damn I was hoping to see Simpson get a debut for this game .

Last edited:
agreed
And I don’t know about this inclusion , not a fan but shows how desperate we are for depth .
He’s likely to look good against the Wevils then get a game the following week and go back to being crap and cost us the game .

Damn I was hoping to see Simpson get a debut for this game .
Sturt certainly wasn’t crap the last 6 weeks of last year, held his spot while all of Schultz, Switta and Frederick were playing. He’s just had a very interrupted preseason.

Sturt certainly wasn’t crap the last 6 weeks of last year, held his spot while all of Schultz, Switta and Frederick were playing. He’s just had a very interrupted preseason.
Oh I definitely recall a game where I and many others never ever wanted to see him in purple again

Can’t recall which one but it was abysmal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back