National Wrestling Alliance (On Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
NWA started in 1948 and was the biggest thing in wrestling until the 1980s (believe most of this content is owned by WWE today). More recently, Billy Corgan bought it a couple years ago and a new weekly free show, NWA Powerrr, started last week.

It's alright. There's a PPV in December so presumably it'll build toward that.

NWA Powerrr 10:05am AEDT Wednesdays on YouTube and Facebook.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first episode too. Interested to see where it goes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Was the NWA not more of an overseeing body of all the territories? Rather than an actual promotion?
Correct. Still this isn't a bad way to revive it and is meant to be the old Georgia Territory which was something of a spiritual home base for the old NWA.

Really hope a significant tv network or content provider can pick this up so it's viable beyond the first few YouTube shows. It's a crowded landscape now but surely someone can find an hour for it. Even some sort of deal on Fite like AEW have for weekly episodes. I'd happily pay $10 a month for this.

Last edited:
Correct. Still this isn't a bad way to revive it and is meant to be the old Georgia Territory which was something of a spiritual home base for the old NWA.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

Yep.

It's funny in a weird way the WWE are aiming to be the NWA globally now with their NXT centres all over the place.

Wrestling would have been pretty cool in the 70s and 80s, obviously not as accessible as today but imagine Flair coming to your town and fighting the top babyface. The podcast series I've listened to on the rise and fall of WCCW is seriously amazing and probably the most interesting wrestling stuff I've listened to.

Yep.

It's funny in a weird way the WWE are aiming to be the NWA globally now with their NXT centres all over the place.

Wrestling would have been pretty cool in the 70s and 80s, obviously not as accessible as today but imagine Flair coming to your town and fighting the top babyface. The podcast series I've listened to on the rise and fall of WCCW is seriously amazing and probably the most interesting wrestling stuff I've listened to.

Been over a decade since I read it but Mick Foley's first autobiography was interesting in that the first few years of his career were the tail end of the territory system.

Been over a decade since I read it but Mick Foley's first autobiography was interesting in that the first few years of his career were the tail end of the territory system.

Yeah man. The only territory I have a little bit of a clue on is WCCW but they had Foley, Ultimate Warrior, Stone Cold, Undertaker, and I think HBK go through there at some point. Actually maybe not Foley he could have been elsewhere.

Foley was in a few promotions, including at least one in Japan, before WCW hired him. No idea how much of his work is available to watch now.

Foley was in a few promotions, including at least one in Japan, before WCW hired him. No idea how much of his work is available to watch now.

most likely VHS dubbed tapes from traders at best, especially your hardcore promotions, if the master tapes were even saved. He was Cactus Jack Manson in the early days. Apter mags made a talking point about the name.

Yeah man. The only territory I have a little bit of a clue on is WCCW but they had Foley, Ultimate Warrior, Stone Cold, Undertaker, and I think HBK go through there at some point. Actually maybe not Foley he could have been elsewhere.
You might be interested in interviews with Gary Hart (about Texas in general) you can find then reading about Memphis. They also had those people go through either just before or just after they went to Dallas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That audience member saying that's what she said in ep 2 smh. Enjoying it so far have they gone too far with the 80's themes though?

You might be interested in interviews with Gary Hart (about Texas in general) you can find then reading about Memphis. They also had those people go through either just before or just after they went to Dallas.

Yeah I'll have a look I've seen a few of his interviews. Is it him.. I think his book is really hard to get ahold of? Could be someone else.

Texas is so interesting.

If you haven't. Have a listen to the WCCW series by the Lapsed Fan on podcasts. Two blokes who love taking the piss but you do get a really comprehensive story of everything that happened.

the physical book is, since it's out of print. the pdf isn't, but it might not be 100% complete/accurate.

That's right. That's why I was confused. Wasn't it hilarious or something because he'd just go at anybody and say his complete unreserved thoughts on them? Classic.

I’m a Cornette fanboy so of course I’m enjoying it. I think the promos have been good they’re proving that squash matches can be entertaining.

That audience member saying that's what she said in ep 2 smh. Enjoying it so far have they gone too far with the 80's themes though?

I was thinking this. While the idea of studio wrestling is great, making it fully decked out as the 80’s makes it feel more like a parody to me so it’s hard to fully suspend disbelief at this stage.

Hopefully as storylines develop it will feel like it’s own authentic promotion.

the minor suspensions of disbelief needed to fit the 80s aesthetic are nothing compared to the suspensions of disbelief needed to watch actual matches from any other modern promotion with their choreography and moves that are in no way helpful to win a fight

an hour a week is perfect, I don't even need it to lead anywhere really I just love the old WCW feel of random names from the past coming and going, and squash marches as a showcase for their stars with the commentary selling the jobbers not as jobbers but as locals looking for an opportunity (so eventually one can win and be made and bam you have a story there too)

haven't watched weekly since the end of nitro, im into this so far

Absolutely gutted he is passed away. Yeah he had that run in WCCW. most of the younger fans will remember him in the NWA managing the Great Muta.

Thank F**k he did this.

Just after he did this kayfabe commentaries interview with Sean Oliver.

He did this just before he passed away.

Eli Drake is perfect for WWE... if Vince McMahon was gone and they cared about midcard championships.

Eli Drake is amazing.

This is my favourite wrestling show right now.

Nothing they do pisses me off or makes me mad.

A lot of their guys seem to be really strong on the mic and able to build some rivalries using those skills.

I’ve always been a massive Mr Anderson fan so it’s great to see him back too.

AEW should be modelling itself more on this instead of PWG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back