Opinion Gerry Ryan For St Kilda President

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be time for a new CEO also as Michael Nettlefold is apparently the 2nd highest paid CEO in the AFL. Talk about jobs for the boys. How can a club with the SAINTS lack of financial resources afford to have the 2nd highest paid CEO in the competition.

They cant afford to keep their quality players but they can throw money at some smooth talking executive. We couldn't afford to properly resource our recruiting and player development teams during Nettlefolds rein but he keeps putting his hand out for his exorbitant salary. That just about sums up the SAINTS history of administrative genocide doesn't it !

Look at this objectively, rather than through headlines.

Irrespective of what Nettlefold is paid that has NO effect on what we pay our players, that is governed by the AFL's salary cap. We pay our players within the salary cap. If we choose to pay some players more or less, then that is part of the player management process.

Objectively if you look back over the last couple of years, we have ploughed huge resources into the Academy, player recruitment (which is the equal of any team in the league - with resources and staff) assistant coaches, medical and support staff.

The club up to recent times has skimped on the football department. This is NOT the case now. Nettlefold and the current board can be very proud of our current funding and financial arrangements. Could we generate more and move further along the road of professionalism and resources, of course, but Nettlefold and the St Kilda board have done an outstanding job.

Administrative genocide lol now that is laughable. As all long term supporters would attest, we very well know the past years when we were a financial basket case, best remembered by Trevor Barker playing for nothing and forgiving the St Kilda debt to him. We are so so far from there, that it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

The current administration and board are to be applauded, not derided through a ridiculous post.

Well if you knew anything you would know Westaway is stepping away at end of the season so we actually need to find new replacement. So what is so wrong with putting names out there? How on earth Will that "divide the club"?

Sorry about that "scoop".

Was referring to the cheap shots at Westaway. Faceless Prez etc etc... we need someone like Eddie blah blah blah.

Nothing wrong with looking for suggestions at all.

Read somewhere last week the bloke (QC) helping Essendon is being positioned to takeover from G. Westaway

Look at this objectively, rather than through headlines.

Irrespective of what Nettlefold is paid that has NO effect on what we pay our players, that is governed by the AFL's salary cap. We pay our players within the salary cap. If we choose to pay some players more or less, then that is part of the player management process.

Objectively if you look back over the last couple of years, we have ploughed huge resources into the Academy, player recruitment (which is the equal of any team in the league - with resources and staff) assistant coaches, medical and support staff.

The club up to recent times has skimped on the football department. This is NOT the case now. Nettlefold and the current board can be very proud of our current funding and financial arrangements. Could we generate more and move further along the road of professionalism and resources, of course, but Nettlefold and the St Kilda board have done an outstanding job.

Administrative genocide lol now that is laughable. As all long term supporters would attest, we very well know the past years when we were a financial basket case, best remembered by Trevor Barker playing for nothing and forgiving the St Kilda debt to him. We are so so far from there, that it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

The current administration and board are to be applauded, not derided through a ridiculous post.

Hear hear! For us old timers, the club has never been more stable and successful off field as it has been over the past decade. Not perfect but credit where it's due.

great post SS. any word on whos in the running still?

Defacto no idea at all. No insights here. The earlier article quoted mentioned that it was most likely that the next President would come from the current board.

Isn't it the case that the club could only afford to pay 90% of the TPP for the past two years. I find that difficult to swallow when we let champion players leave over the difference our CEO is receiving over other clubs Executives.

The club have improved the resources provided to the football department but it is about 10 years too late. When RL was coach they had the worst recruiting and player development programs of any club in the competition and that was not RL's doing.

They remain nothing more than a 'charitable organisation' paying a ridiculous amount of their total income to one administrator - who by the way used to play for the club!

Clever administration with such a young list, is paying less than the Total Player Payments. We have a young list, this isn't the Saints of 2009 or 2010. Supporters would be asking for explanations if we were following your inference that good administration would be overpaying the list that we have.

Common sense would say that at this stage we don't have to pay out the entire salary cap. We would be have been front paying contracts of players like Steven, Montagna, Geary so as to give us space for Free Agents at the end of this year.

We can complain that things have improved too late and you suggest ten years to late, but once again the improvement is to the credit of Nettlefold and the current board. They corrected past underfunding programs and have set the Saints on a very sound past.

The deriding of the current Admin, calling for the sacking of the coach and woe is me, all is coming to an end, is the bad old days of St Kilda. We are not there and thankfully with such good people in place, that we have running the club, are not going there anytime soon.

What we pay Nettlefold is irrelevant if it is within the budget of the club and has been approved by the finance committee of the club. Or to make it more relevant to you, if we pay peanuts, we get monkeys.

Read somewhere last week the bloke (QC) helping Essendon is being positioned to takeover from G. Westaway
SIGNIFICANTLY doubt that Jack Rush QC would have the time outside of court to take the gig on.

Why do we need a more high profile president? I bet most of you couldn't name the current Geelong or Hawthorn presidents without resorting to google. Not the first point of call for me

Why do we need a more high profile president? I bet most of you couldn't name the current Geelong or Hawthorn presidents without resorting to google. Not the first point of call for me

I imagine a high profile person such as the head of Coles /myer or Gerry Ryan are gonna have great contacts which converts to $$ in sponsorship as well as deals with local councils/ govts etc.
when they talk people listen.
Who listens to westaway? Prob no one major.

I imagine a high profile person such as the head of Coles /myer or Gerry Ryan are gonna have great contacts which converts to $$ in sponsorship as well as deals with local councils/ govts etc.

Underestimating Westaway's business success just a tad there mate! St.Kilda already has deals in place with local councils (Frankston), so not sure what would change. Some good footy will always attract sponsors.

I would suggest you spend a little time with Google before you deride the business acumen of Greg Westaway.

Like Gerry Ryan he is a self made man starting Gregorys Transport in 1982, turning it into one of the largest privately owned logistics companies in Australia. St Kilda has a link with trucking moguls, with another past president Lindsay Fox, also a very successful businessman in this area.

Greg Westaway is a proven successful business man, who came to St Kilda on a 'Footy First' ticket, campaigning on, and then later implementing substantial increases in Football Department spending.

The vastly improved resourcing of recruiting, player academy and development, coaching depth and facilities at Seaford are a testament to his and the Saints board business acumen. Don't confuse a business commentator like Kochie at Port Adelaide, with someone who has built a large national business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This discussion has always puzzled me... but as they say, you cannot legislate against ignorance. Greg as stated is a very astute business man who shuns the spot light. Calll me old school, but their job is to administer the club and stay out of the spotlight. Having a more visible prez may magnify the highlights, but it also draws more attention to the lowlights. Supporters have mocked Greg because of his public speaking skills, but the bottom line is that he has been a very sound prez for us and implemented what he promised when he took on the job.

IMO only, the yearning for Ryan sounds like old StKilda where we prayed for a knight in shining armour to ride in and save us... but I could be wrong.

Molly Meldrum anyone?? :D

This discussion has always puzzled me... but as they say, you cannot legislate against ignorance. Greg as stated is a very astute business man who shuns the spot light. Calll me old school, but their job is to administer the club and stay out of the spotlight. Having a more visible prez may magnify the highlights, but it also draws more attention to the lowlights. Supporters have mocked Greg because of his public speaking skills, but the bottom line is that he has been a very sound prez for us and implemented what he promised when he took on the job.

IMO only, the yearning for Ryan sounds like old StKilda where we prayed for a knight in shining armour to ride in and save us... but I could be wrong.

Molly Meldrum anyone?? :D

I was thinking Eric Bana. He could turn into the Hulk when discussing our stadium deal.

Well when stkilda were flying and westaway was our president we failed to get a significant jumper sponsor . At the agm at the beginning of the 2011 season westaway said that we had already reached our quota on sponsorship, then later in the year he announced that the club was 1.4 mill down on finances for the year due to not having a major jumper sponsor.
All I'm saying is that when clubs like nth melb have major sponsors like Mazda and we have a lighting co. that no one has heard of we could prob do better.
Its going to be even more challenging now that we've hit the bottom and will have minimal tv exposure next year and prob only 1 or 2 fri night games.

All I'm saying is that when clubs like nth melb have major sponsors like Mazda and we have a lighting co. that no one has heard of we could prob do better.

North have more members than us now too. :/ Embarrassing.

Well when stkilda were flying and westaway was our president we failed to get a significant jumper sponsor . At the agm at the beginning of the 2011 season westaway said that we had already reached our quota on sponsorship, then later in the year he announced that the club was 1.4 mill down on finances for the year due to not having a major jumper sponsor.
Its going to be even more challenging now that we've hit the bottom and will have minimal tv exposure next year and prob only 1 or 2 fri night games.
I'm sure Westaway would love a major sponsor but you'll have to thank the off-field antics of our players for that.

North have more members than us now too. :/ Embarrassing.

It is. Spoilt fans have seen one of the more successful periods of the club and as soon as times get tough, they jump off.

It is. Spoilt fans have seen one of the more successful periods of the club and as soon as times get tough, they jump off.

Part of it is the clubs fault though. They could be doing a lot more to gain exposure for the club. The reality is that St Kilda IS the club of bayside/south east Melbourne and they should be pushing that hard.

We could easily push for 50k members if the club was willing to create that kind of identity.

All you can say in wanting a high profile president is look at the job David Koch has done for Port Adelaide this year. Completely turned the club around off the field and it has shown on the field. No reason why a guy like Gerry Ryan can't do that for us.

You'd think they'd be used to losing really. But even when we were flying our numbers should've been better. I do live in our SE suburbs stronghold, which could be deceiving, but I'd be surprised if we had less supporters than Hawthorn and Geelong. We should be up around those teams, not languishing behind little old Norf.

On a side note. When does the membership count/race close? I noticed Richmond are already selling 2014 memberships, with those who sign up now getting a free membership for the rest of this season. Very sneaky if that counts into their 2013 tally.

All you can say in wanting a high profile president is look at the job David Koch has done for Port Adelaide this year. Completely turned the club around off the field and it has shown on the field. No reason why a guy like Gerry Ryan can't do that for us.

Don't think Kochie has influenced the on field efforts, which will always be the major factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back