EDFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever is in charge of junior fixturing needs to get the arse.

Under 12 Div 2 is all over the shop, some teams play 3 times including grading and some dont play each other at all.

Whoever is in charge of junior fixturing needs to get the arse.

Under 12 Div 2 is all over the shop, some teams play 3 times including grading and some dont play each other at all.
Agree in part but surely some clubs have to take responsibility as well for chasing a premiership rather than develop their players.
I guess it’s a bit like they want umpires respected yet don’t penalise players enough for striking, kicking or umpire abuse. And add coaches abusing umpires and opposition players and no suspensions. Match day officials and team managers not controlling their supporters. Etc etc.

Heard about a junior 16s game during grading in where multiple kids abused an umpire and I believe were offered only 1 or 2 weeks each. Apparently one kid was the captain. Interesting to see if this kid is still captain as if so surely that is a club who encourages this type of behaviour. Yes kids can learn from it but surely they are stood down from any leadership group.

Last edited:
Roxy 16s div 5 played Marby week 1, play them this week (week 6) then play them again week 9.

Meanwhile they don't play Strathmore at all. Truly bizarre

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m just not sure what the league is all about when it comes to fixtures.

1- Why is EK 18s in div1 and not premier? Understand what EK wanted but they are sitting 2nd on the ladder so being a premier senior club who are recruiting to compete they should be made to play premier 18s. Other option is to allow this but they can’t play finals. But that could compromise the division but it’s an option if the CLUB request to play lower to develop and keep a team that the compromise is they can’t compete in finals.
Airport West seniors were promoted and their 18s are in premier so I think it’s unfair that EK 18s are in div1. Especially considering EK seniors were 5th last year in premier so they are ahead of Airport West in rankings. Very confusing decision by the league.
I just think if you are in div1 and looking looking to win promotion you need to consider your 18s program and not just load up and focus on seniors.

2- Under 16 fixtures. Bigger Premier clubs like Greenvale should be in div1. No ifs & buts they play premier in seniors they play premier 16s with the other bigger clubs. They have the cash to spend so they compete. Probably same for Avondale although I understand they are in an aging area.
Greenvale have the $$ to recruit and pay for a 16s coach as what I think is happening at some clubs as a way of boosting your clubs profile and recruiting players from lower divisions to come to “premier” clubs. Some clubs offer free registration to players as an enticement to switch over as well.
Why are EK 16s in div3? Once again a premier club! There 16s are going to win it in div3 so why are they not in div2 at the minimum?? Very strange..
So you promote Greenvale and Avondale to div1 and you have 8 sides. It’s surely better than 6 sides.
Allow Airport West time as they just got promoted and push EK up to div2 for this year with intentions of going to div1 in 2024.

3- Under 18 div2 comp. I’m not in favour of clubs B teams playing against other teams As teams. Make a div3 for teams with a second side only.
Div2 can be for div2 clubs only. If they wish they can go up to div1 otherwise they play how many teams there is left.. whichever way you look at it these teams will ultimately have a few good players and that gets them over the line.

4- I agree with previous posts on how is Rupo 16s B side in the lowest division as they are just smashing all teams. Burnside B side is also smashing teams so that’s NOT was div5 is supposed to be for!! It’s to keep kids in the sport and try and develop and teach them. Certain clubs using this division for personal glory. It’s completely wrong and shameful in my opinion.
Maybe they just award the premiership to the top side with no finals..

Anyway, just my rant on the state of this junior competition as to see only 7 clubs in Premier 18s and 6 clubs in div1 16s tells me something is wrong!!

Last edited:
Furthermore if premier clubs 18s were in premier, etc etc it brings it back to all 3 sides playing at the one ground how it should be. Maybe div3 18.5s made up of clubs B sides could play Friday night before the thirds if that got more junior participation in that age group.

Furthermore if premier clubs 18s were in premier, etc etc it brings it back to all 3 sides playing at the one ground how it should be. Maybe div3 18.5s made up of clubs B sides could play Friday night before the thirds if that got more junior participation in that age group.
Don't get me started on the fact that a certain umpires advisor who's also a runner at a club was on the ground the ENTIRE game for his sons club on Sunday - no warnings from the umps to leave the ground who were probably scared for their jobs. Could clearly be heard instructing the young umpires to pay kicks to his sons team. How can a conflict of interest like this be allowed to exist?

Don't get me started on the fact that a certain umpires advisor who's also a runner at a club was on the ground the ENTIRE game for his sons club on Sunday - no warnings from the umps to leave the ground who were probably scared for their jobs. Could clearly be heard instructing the young umpires to pay kicks to his sons team. How can a conflict of interest like this be allowed to exist?

Well that’s just ludicrous if that’s happening. We need leadership and rules enforced.

My boys play 8s and 10s and the 8s kids wise is fine but i tell you what.

The way Under 10s speak and the stuff they say to each other is next level and absolutely disgusting.

My eldest has copped Fat campaigner, Fat bitch, fatso, dog, rat, ect ect this year and I'm meant to tell him to keep his cool when he could easily just thump the kids saying it.
He is close to not wanting to play.

He gets told "don't worry about it" but why should he have to put up with it.

Clubs and parents need to pull these kids up.

Against Strathmore my wife heard the kid say Fat campaigner to my boy and said "Geez you've got a mouth on you: and his reply back over the fence was ""ohh * off.

Against APW after the siren we have kids sticking fingers up at our boys and calling us losers.

Clubs and parents have alot to bloody answer for.

My boys play 8s and 10s and the 8s kids wise is fine but i tell you what.

The way Under 10s speak and the stuff they say to each other is next level and absolutely disgusting.

My eldest has copped Fat campaigner, Fat bitch, fatso, dog, rat, ect ect this year and I'm meant to tell him to keep his cool when he could easily just thump the kids saying it.
He is close to not wanting to play.

He gets told "don't worry about it" but why should he have to put up with it.

Clubs and parents need to pull these kids up.

Against Strathmore my wife heard the kid say Fat campaigner to my boy and said "Geez you've got a mouth on you: and his reply back over the fence was ""ohh * off.

Against APW after the siren we have kids sticking fingers up at our boys and calling us losers.

Clubs and parents have alot to bloody answer for.
Hey mate, I agree. It’s only getting worse. Idiot coaches and idiot runners tolerate it and at time encourage it. Clubs appoint total muppets!

The coaches course was all about stamping vilification. So do these coaches actually do the course? Do they think vilification is only racism stuff??

Should win with dignity and show respect.

Was involved in a game Sunday afternoon against GV and they were very ordinary. Supporters and players calling opponents “white boy”. 4-5 50 metre penalties and a free kick paid due to abuse from coaches box. Oh and the best part is this club won by over 10 goals and they still act like that.
I bet if one of there players were vilified they would be jumping up & down..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just not sure what the league is all about when it comes to fixtures.

1- Why is EK 18s in div1 and not premier? Understand what EK wanted but they are sitting 2nd on the ladder so being a premier senior club who are recruiting to compete they should be made to play premier 18s. Other option is to allow this but they can’t play finals. But that could compromise the division but it’s an option if the CLUB request to play lower to develop and keep a team that the compromise is they can’t compete in finals.
Airport West seniors were promoted and their 18s are in premier so I think it’s unfair that EK 18s are in div1. Especially considering EK seniors were 5th last year in premier so they are ahead of Airport West in rankings. Very confusing decision by the league.
I just think if you are in div1 and looking looking to win promotion you need to consider your 18s program and not just load up and focus on seniors.

2- Under 16 fixtures. Bigger Premier clubs like Greenvale should be in div1. No ifs & buts they play premier in seniors they play premier 16s with the other bigger clubs. They have the cash to spend so they compete. Probably same for Avondale although I understand they are in an aging area.
Greenvale have the $$ to recruit and pay for a 16s coach as what I think is happening at some clubs as a way of boosting your clubs profile and recruiting players from lower divisions to come to “premier” clubs. Some clubs offer free registration to players as an enticement to switch over as well.
Why are EK 16s in div3? Once again a premier club! There 16s are going to win it in div3 so why are they not in div2 at the minimum?? Very strange..
So you promote Greenvale and Avondale to div1 and you have 8 sides. It’s surely better than 6 sides.
Allow Airport West time as they just got promoted and push EK up to div2 for this year with intentions of going to div1 in 2024.

3- Under 18 div2 comp. I’m not in favour of clubs B teams playing against other teams As teams. Make a div3 for teams with a second side only.
Div2 can be for div2 clubs only. If they wish they can go up to div1 otherwise they play how many teams there is left.. whichever way you look at it these teams will ultimately have a few good players and that gets them over the line.

4- I agree with previous posts on how is Rupo 16s B side in the lowest division as they are just smashing all teams. Burnside B side is also smashing teams so that’s NOT was div5 is supposed to be for!! It’s to keep kids in the sport and try and develop and teach them. Certain clubs using this division for personal glory. It’s completely wrong and shameful in my opinion.
Maybe they just award the premiership to the top side with no finals..

Anyway, just my rant on the state of this junior competition as to see only 7 clubs in Premier 18s and 6 clubs in div1 16s tells me something is wrong!!
I know this thread is for juniors, but the worst grading in the whole league is the Womens Div 2.

Airport West were runners up last year and on top of the ladder when the season was stopped the year before, but stayed in Div 2 this year.

And why did they stay in Div 2? Because the league asked them if they wanted to go up, and they said no.

What a joke from the league. You are paid to run the competition, so ******* run it. Don't ask clubs what they want to do.

And as for APW, I hope your players are enjoying the season with a percentage of 3641%. Must be fun winning every week by 100 points

I know this thread is for juniors, but the worst grading in the whole league is the Womens Div 2.

Airport West were runners up last year and on top of the ladder when the season was stopped the year before, but stayed in Div 2 this year.

And why did they stay in Div 2? Because the league asked them if they wanted to go up, and they said no.

What a joke from the league. You are paid to run the competition, so ******* run it. Don't ask clubs what they want to do.

And as for APW, I hope your players are enjoying the season with a percentage of 3641%. Must be fun winning every week by 100 points

And the league wonder why they are losing players every year. Also why there is an increase in poor behaviour. Some is pure frustration and some clubs don’t win and respect opponents but rather shove it in their faces. Absolutely sh$$s me..

Loved the quote the other week that Tulla aren't happy with being up in Div 1 women's and haven't won much....boohoo. They won the flag undefeated last season. Did they expect to stay down in the same div and dominate it again? What a ridiculous comment that was. You win a flag, you go up. Suck it up.

Was suprised to see Coburg Districts to have 2 U/18s sides with the first team top of B grade. Fair effort by them with Pascoe Vale & Strathmore so close.
If you dig a little deeper, they have formed a partnership/relationship with St Francis Football Club.

If you dig a little deeper, they have formed a partnership/relationship with St Francis Football Club.
Makes sense. St Francis used to have that with Jacana. So a lot of these kids will end up @ Therry in the Amateur’s.

Turbo will love the post from EK on socials about ALL their juniors making finals. Lol. Helps when you move from Div 1 to div 3 and don't drop a game. Hollow wins coming

It’s that attitude that will take them backwards, trust me. I. this case if they lose players to the big clubs next year they best not sook up.

Hearing that the EDFL have been told that under 10’s to play with no scoreboard next season, to bring them in line with all the other metro football comps.
Which means no scoring, no ladder, no premiership and no league b&f from 2024.

Hearing that the EDFL have been told that under 10’s to play with no scoreboard next season, to bring them in line with all the other metro football comps.
Which means no scoring, no ladder, no premiership and no league b&f from 2024.
Also hearing AFL vic considering a rule of compulsory helmets for grades 14 and below. Any concussion and you’re out for 6 weeks.

Can you imagine missing 6 weeks of footy and paying membership for only max of 8 games.

All due to high concussion rates in afl football.

Does anyone from the league follow up players who look older than the division they are playing in? Seen a few full grown beards on kids playing under 16s. I’m not sure 15 year olds have full facial beards. 🤔🤔 Just saying!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back